“charming!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #223 of 294 Hotels in Mexico City
Estado de México
“charming!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Beautiful, charming, super mexican, super cute, romantic and cousy. It is a great place to be when you want to visit the best part of Mexico City. Great location, great environment. Walking distance for everything. The wi-fi service is not good, so not recommended for a long stay visit os business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

BEWARE!

The worst thing for a hotel is 'no show' guests. The worst thing for guests is a 'not there' hotel.

With a confirmed reservation from decolar and a current printout of a map and directions from the hotel's website, we arrived (Jan. 7, 2013) where the hotel is supposed to be only to discover a reconstruction site and a 'not there' hotel, which, incidentally hadn't been there for some months and isn't going to be there for some more.

Caution with decolar and with this hotel are strongly recommended.

The good news was discovering a truly extraordinary boutique hotel nearby, las alcobas, (see separate review) at almost the same price which had been guaranteed by Casa Vieja.

Room Tip: Make sure it is there and open before going there.
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I was a little concerned about this hotel before I arrived as we'd booked it through an agent's recommendation, only to then read the negative views on here.

Casa Vieja is a charming, rustic place in the heart of the ever so cool, Polanco. We enjoyed our stay here, however it does need a little love and attention. The aircon units don't work and look like they're about to fall off the wall and the bath looked like something from the 70's. They also don't have security boxes in the room (but you can give your things to the security guard to lock away). The staff are not the most natural hotel staff but they were very helpful when called upon.

For something a little different, in a great area, for a few days, it's worth giving it a go but they do need to step up their game and start investing into this beautiful place.

• Stayed June 2012
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Casa Vieja is a charming and colourful example of an old Mexican house, with tasteful and appropriate room furnishings. The staff are very friendly and made you feel very welcome. The rooftop restaurant, under a bamboo slatted roof, was a beautiful area with a well stocked bar and ferns and greenery to add to the atmosphere.

The location is perfect in Polanco, an area full of restaurants, cafes and interesting shops and just across the road from a very pleasant park.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Rooms are outdated and AC doesn't function. Service is average. Hotel Restraunt is average for the price. The hotel owners family and their friends are often loud and drinking in the restaurant which makes it uncomfortable for guests. Rooms are overpriced. Much better hotels in same Polanco neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2011
Sao Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I’ve stayed at this hotel a few dozen times over the last several years and have always had great experiences. While I am not always able to stay at this hotel (often booked solid) when I visit Mexico City, it is my favorite in the Polanco area.

As other reviewers have noted, this is a boutique hotel – it looks just like a big house, while very small for a hotel. If you haven’t been before you will probably pass it a few times before you realize it is the hotel. It’s great place to stay if you are interested in a smaller hotel with more character (compared to rooms in larger chains that all seem bland and the same) and personal service. It’s a smaller, quiet hotel. The bar/restaurant/lounge area is great for discussing business over drinks or a private romantic dinner (dinner at the restaurant is surprisingly nice) or if you are plain too tired from work meetings to go out. To be fair, toward the end of the year some companies will throw parties there – but I haven’t had problems with noise in my room at night. And if the bar/lounge area is busy, they do have a meeting room available. It pays to ask ahead – whether you are planning a business meeting or a romantic getaway. For an upcoming trip, I’m planning to have a prep meeting with some business partners and asked if at that time there would be any events or if that area would otherwise be busy or inappropriate for a meeting – the manager said no events were expected, but also reserved the meeting room for us “just in case”. On another trip a few years ago, I brought my wife to celebrate our anniversary. I explained I wanted to do something romantic and the manager discussed some options and prices. When we arrived, the room was filled with flowers and there was a bottle of champagne on ice, as planned – it was a great romantic getaway.

What this hotel is not is a big hotel with a gym and an active lobby bar where you can meet people, where you get points/miles for your stay, etc.. If you’re a big hotel person, this hotel may not be for you.

A nice feature of the hotel is the drivers – different from some larger hotels, I’ve never had to wait for a taxi, even at rush hour. And the hotel taxis are competent and trustworthy. On a few occasions, I’ve arranged for the taxi to meet me with my luggage at the company where I am having meetings and take me directly to the airport. This allows me to meet for longer with my customers without having to lug all my luggage with me to the meeting.

Before my last stay (July 2011), I checked out the reviews and was worried by the number of posts mentioning problems due to the new management. I can’t speak to the problems that other people had and I’m not saying they didn’t happen, but in my stay, I enjoyed the same excellent service I’ve always had at this hotel. The management and staff really seem to take pleasure in offering a great experience. While I think Mexico, in general is excellent at customer service, this hotel takes it to another level in my experience. I wondered if maybe I get better service because I’ve been a regular customer over a long time and speak Spanish, but on my last trip a non-Spanish speaking colleague joined me for his first trip to Mexico and he had no problems. My colleague ended up forgetting his credit card at check out and when we called several hours later, the hotel manager was relieved that we called and immediately sent a hotel taxi to bring us the card (sealed in an envelope and obviously we paid the taxi’s fare).

Obviously, with the kitchen and the home feel, this hotel is great for longer stays. Several years ago, I stayed at the hotel for a period of 2 weeks and it was great. While I didn’t cook, the kitchen and refrigerator came in handy for storing and reheating left overs – especially as I worked a few all nighters in that period. Any hour of the night, you can get pretty much anything you need: a coca cola, an espresso, a pot of coffee, a shot of tequila,etc.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

My stay in the Casa Vieja was really like staying in an old house. The house is complete with all the artistic details put in over a long period of time by a loving owner and all the incompetent maintenance of utilities overlooked by the seemingly ageing and senile owner. Upon my late night arrival, I was greeted by five or six members of the staff all lined up at the hotel entrance, impressive! And that was the end of it. The room I stayed in the first night had sluggish drainage in the bathroom sink and had no water in the kitchen tap. The shower door got me scared when it refused to budge when I was trying to get out! The room I transferred in was a bit better, all taps had water, but all hot! Even the toilet flushes hot water. The lights and TV all have their eccentricities, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. In both rooms, the chambermaids both left an envelope with their name on it for tip but they do not replace toilet paper or facial tissue automatically, you have to ask for them! In summary, I wish I just booked Casa Vieja for a night only, or at the most two nights stay, instead of seven!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Boutique Casa Vieja Mexico? Share your experiences!