“No Better Value in Mexico City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jade Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Jade Guesthouse
You added Jade Guesthouse to your Saves list
Eligio Ancona 242 | Santa Maria de la Ribeira, Mexico City 06400, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 103 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“No Better Value in Mexico City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay in this delightful guesthouse and neighborhood. It's perfectly situated close enough to the Metro and bus lines to get to all areas of Mexico City easily and yet far enough away to be safe and secure. The colonia itself is full of charm and quite international. Close by is a bakery, several small tiendas, cafes, fruit and vegetable stands, a mercado, and a lovely park. The French family who own and operate Jade Guesthouse were so accomadating too; supplying us not only with coffee, water, and housekeeping daily, but also with several suggestions of what to do in Mexico City and how to get there efficiently. Virginie cooked us up a fantastic French breakfast our first morning which is when she shared her vast knowledge of the area; very much appreciated. Our showers had plenty of hot water our entire nine day stay as well and our bed was quite comfortable. We also made use of the outdoor kitchen for breakfast and light dinners; which is fully equipped with all needed cooking utensils. There's simply no way you could top Jade for it's combined value, location, accomadations, and friendly support.

Room Tip: We chose the 2nd level room as it was quiet, closer to the 3rd floor kitchen and between the courtya...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed at Jade Guesthouse for two nights only... and I started regretting I could not stay longer! The room I stayed in was tastefully decorated in traditional Mexican style and the house itself is a little wonder - with a beautiful inner yard to relax, who would have known that there was such a gem behind that big door in the heart of Mexico City? Yes, it is not in the city centre - but it is very conveniently connected to the city via public transport. The area the Guesthouse is located in is also worthwhile to discover - take a bit of time to walk around - I recommend going to the market a few streets away to browse or have breakfast. Having said that - the breakfast prepared by Virginie was delicious. I´ll definitely go back and recommend this place to anyone staying in Mexico City!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

What a gem! Our stay at the Jade House was both comfortable and secure while we were in Mexico City. Our hosts were a wealth of information to our surroundings and also helped us with local transportation. We felt safe at this location and our belongings well taken care of when we were away. The small kitchen was perfect for quick breakfasts and light suppers. The Jade offered original Mexican architecture and the hospitality was warm and personalized.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed two nights there when I recently visited D.F. and I love the place: Virginie is a great and very helpful host who knows a lot about what to see and where to go. The house has been restaured by Virginie and her family and is absolutely charming: From the impressive wooden front door to the patio with flowers and a little fountain to the rooms decorated with detail. The furniture original antique furniture gives you an idea how Mexican houses look decades ago. I was most impressed by the old bath tubes, actually.
The guesthouse is situated in the vibrant neighbourhooud of Sta Maria de la Ribera. The city centre,other sights like Plaza de las Tres Cultures or Basilica de Guadalupe and the bus station as well as the airport can be easily reached by public transportation or taxi. The barrio itself is worth visiting as well: Many beautiful old houses, a typical market just around the corner where you can get good food and street life. I totally recommend Jade Guesthouse!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Jade Guesthouse is located in a quieter neighborhood just north of most of the city's sights. I enjoyed the tastefully designed lower level room, the courtyard and wifi signal. Virginie is a welcoming host who provided helpful insight into her neighborhood and life in D.F. during my four night stay. When I didn't use taxis, there is a fair walk to the nearest metro station which provides an incredibly inexpensive (3 pesos) way to get around. If you're looking for a relaxing spot in a less active neighborhood, I recommend it. That said, a television, for those like me who sometimes want a diversion, would have been nice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Lake Country, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights at Jade Guesthouse in June 2013. We had never been to Mexico City before and after several days of intense exploration, we are so grateful we chose this incredible B&B for our stay. I could write a book summarizing the upsides to this place, but for us the very best aspects of our stay were 1) the incredible hospitality of our hosts, 2) sleep quality and privacy and 3) the outdoor courtyard. Our flight arrived in Mexico City at 5:30am and Virigine had no qualms letting us check-in at 6:30 in the morning. She was up to greet us with hot coffee already on the go when we arrived. Regarding sleep quality: in a city of 22 million, it might seem impossible to find a quiet, private home-base, but Jade Guesthouse provides exactly this. It promises tranquillity in the midst of the (wonderful) chaos that is Mexico City—and delivers. Lastly, its outdoor courtyard, complete with second-floor kitchen and laundry facilities, provided the perfect late evening and early morning dining/sipping space. And I should mention, the architecture of this house, its guestrooms and courtyard is something else! A beautiful mix of Mexican and European charms, just like its hosts. Merci beaucoup, Virginie et Eric! Nous avons hate de retourner un jour!

Room Tip: Although both suites are simply lovely, we preferred the room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bilbao
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Jade guesthouse for nine nights on our honeymoon in Mexico City and we are very glad we did.
Virginie and her family are very kind and hospitable. Virginie and Eric (and their two kids) speak good French, Spanish, and English. They accommodated any request we had and Virginie often offered us (great) coffee and tea. Every day there was a nice crystal decanter full of clean water for our use, the bed was made, and the room was cleaned (shampoo & soap refurnished- but we had to ask for toilet paper a few times). And the rooms (we stayed in two) are cute, comfortable, and well designed. The room we stayed in for most of our stay at Jade had a small wooden, collapsible, dining table, a queen bed, a closet and a full size claw foot bathtub with a shower. The first room we were in was just as nice, with an antique wooden dresser, queen bed, and a hand painted tile shower.
The courtyard is a real Mexico City treat, with an original stone fountain, hanging lanterns, plants, and patio furniture for having your morning coffee (great grind and coffee pot upstairs in the rooftop kitchen) or wine at night.
The rooftop kitchen is two short, open, staircases from the courtyard and has a two burner as stove, two sinks, a cupboard (we left some food for you :) filled with tea and other imperishables, pots and pans, plates and bowls, etc.. Also on the rooftop is a washing machine (20 pesos-you can't beat that price) and many drying lines. (One day, when it was going to rain and my wife and I were out, Virginie took down our laundry AND folded it!).
I used to live in Mexico City (for over a year and a half) and I had never explored Colonia Santa María la Ribera-I am so as we got to know this colonia! If you we're thinking of staying in Roma Norte, Condesa, or Zona Rosa, I would recommend you check out Colonia Santa María la Ribera instead. It is surely the next up-and-coming diverse culture hub of in this giant sprawling city. There's a few used book stores (I recommend the Abecedarium), lots of Internet cafes, cafes (we recommend Rub & Rub on Eligio Ancona), restaurants (including a Russian one, Italian, and Argentine), a beautiful park, awesome cantinas with live music and people dancing by the jukebox!, a super market (La Bodega México on Calle Nogal), a local food/artesan market, the wonderful UNAM Museo del Chopo (contemporary art and cinema), and some great street food. The hotel is a fifteen minute walk or an 15-20 peso taxi ride to/from metro San Cosme on the Blue line (line 2, the same one that has Zocalo, Bella's Artes, and transfer stops to 7 other lines).
We had some issues with the Internet as their provider was off and on working on the Internet, and the signal is fairly weak and works best while in the courtyard.
We really enjoyed our stay at Jade, and would stay there again on our future Mexico City trips.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Jade Guesthouse? Share your experiences!