“Definite winner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El patio 77, first eco-friendly B&B in Mexico City

You added El patio 77, first eco-friendly B&B in Mexico City to your Saves list
El patio 77, first eco-friendly B&B in Mexico City
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Joaquin Garcia Icazbalceta 77 | San Rafael District, Mexico City, Mexico City 06470, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 97 Mexico City B&B and Inns
NY
“Definite winner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were overwhelmed by the beauty of this B&B. Our room was spacious, wonderfully decorated and very clean. Wish we could have stayed more than one night; if we are ever back in Mexico City, we'll be sure to book here. Only issue--which was mentioned when we booked the room--the cab driver at the airport had a difficult time finding it, even with the map and directions provided by El patio.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Wonderful place to stay in Mexico.
Alan and Diego were so friendly with us,and had so great advices for visiting Mexico, for local eating, and mexican craft. They made our travel unbelievable.
The rooms were big,cozy and so well decorated.
Furthermore, the ecological spirit of the place is really a plus that in no moment affected our wellness.
I can't wait to come back to this place again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

El Patio 77 is beautiful and very well maintained. However, the location is not great. As a result, we spent more time than I would have liked metro'ing back and forth between other neighborhoods of interest. I would recommend staying in La Condessa, Roma Norte or Polanco if you would like to be closer to more upscale eating options and shops.

In addition, the lack of warm water was frustrating. One person could hardly take a shower, let alone two. This was a negative after coming home dirty from climbing the temples at Teotihuacan.

Also, I thought it was a bit pushy to send guests follow up emails asking them to post positive reviews on specific sites such as Trip Advisor and the NYT. I would have appreciated more attention to the hot water situation and helping us figure out where to buy silver, than time spent cultivating their online reputation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Diegomexicocity, Owner at El patio 77, first eco-friendly B&B in Mexico City, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
We are sorry to hear that your stay at el patio 77 was not as good as it is usually for our guests. We really would have loved to hear your suggestions and complains when you were with us, fix them and make your stay the best one. Unfortunately, you did not tell us and you seemed to know what to do and where to go.
Let’s try to make a “what would have changed” if you have shared with us your doubts and comments.
To begin, we would have recommended you other ways of traveling in the City (walking, bus, Metrobus, public bicycle sharing system) to get easily and quickly to any point of interest of Mexico City and really take advantage of the city… Most of those public transports are 2 to 5 blocks from the house. We would have recommended you plenty of unknown local options (also mentionned by us in a folder in the rooms at EL patio 77) to avoid you taking any public transport during one or two days. For example, a few minutes walking from the house, you can find the Contemporary Art Museum “El Chopo” owned by the UNAM (biggest university in Latin America) which is a beautiful 19th Century iron Building renovated 2 years ago, or maybe the incredible Kiosko Morisco (Moorish Bandstand) in the park of Santa María La Ribera neighborhood, the Art Déco Monument to the Revolution, the American Cemetery just behind the house, the Hilario Galguera Gallery, the Eco or the San Carlos Museums... El patio 77 is really in the middle of this huge City and most attractions of the City are less than 2 km from the house. We are only 3 blocks from the metro station from which you can reach the main plaza of Mexico City (Zócalo) in the Historic Center in less than 10 minutes and for only 3 pesos (0.23 USD).
Also, we would have shown you the restaurant map we provide to all our guests with plenty of local food options at walking distance from el Patio 77 and recommended you an international fancy restaurant in the neighborhood just next to ours at only at 5 minutes by taxi or 15 minutes walking from el patio 77. We have French, Japanese, Argentinean and Italian restaurants (without taking the metro) in this neighborhood.
I also would have fixed the hot water issue in a few minutes as of course we provide warm water 24h a day and it was not normal you could not take a hot shower... However, we need our guests’ feedback if there is any problem we did not detect in a room to fix it. Just a word from you would have been enough to fix it.
And finally, we would have explained you why we send to all our guests one email when the leave. We send it to thank them for choosing us and also to suggest them to post a review to let other people know about their experience at El patio 77. All the suggestions and comments are good for us to improve our service and to know what people really like in our place and what we have to improve. I believe that is one of the great interests in staying at a B&B and particularly at our Bed and Breakfast is that you can share, ask and take advantage of the recommendations we can provide you. I am really sorry and sad we could not share them with you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Being my first time in Mexico City this place did not let me down. Diego and Allan were so friendly and helpful. They had a map for us of good things to see and eat in the local area, and were always willing to answer our questions no matter what time of day or night.
The rooms were very comfortable and quite big. The water saving system was clever and did not affect our comfort levels at all.
The kitchen bought out amazing Mexican breakfasts everymorning with a smile.
I would return here no doubt about it.

• Stayed October 2012
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This lovely old building has been rescued from the detritus of Mexico's dilapidated infrastructure by two smart, gracious, and hip B&B owners who have restored the structure with imagination and an eye for beautiful details. The ten foot high wooden shutters open onto large trees during the day and create a haven of quiet at night. Across the street is a popular restaurant whose cheerful staff serve delicious specials for five dollars. Diego recommended I visit a modern art gallery three blocks distant whose interior and art works could easily have been in downtown Manhattan. The metro is just three blocks away. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Some rooms have shared baths.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

From the moment I walked in, I forget if it is was Alan or Diego, but they took time and were so helfpul to explain everything. The place was so artsy, immaculately clean, and so unique. It was the MOST correct decision to choose this place. As soon as I walked into the Veracruz room, it was so unique with the fish design from the ceiling, beautiful bed, floors, artwork and shelving on the walls. I fell in love with the bohemian dresser. I shared a bathroom, but it was NO problem as I only shared it one with other girl, and it smelled wonderful and was immaculately clean. Alan/Diego, even walked me to the main street to show me where some good tacos were. We then chatted for awhile, as he gave me a tour, and I got to practice my spanish. I had the MOST amazing shower, and fell asleep like a baby in the ultra clean bed, with white soft sheets and pillows. They used this natural fragrance that I loved, that I want to ask them, what was it? Breakfast was amazing, with the natural light coming into the breakfast room. Veronica was so kind in the AM, and I practiced my Spanish with her as well. This is a MUST stay in the city! Convenient, with the personal touch and they make you feel at home. I was traveling alone, but didn't feel as so!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

What a truly amazing place to stay. The Guererro room was divine, the staff incredible and the location top notch. The other guests also made it a wonderful place to stay as they were so interesting.The worst bit was having to leave. I will definitely return to El Patio.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El patio 77, first eco-friendly B&B in Mexico City? Share your experiences!