“Not a 5 star hotel, but not a bad place to be!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gillow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Gillow
You added Hotel Gillow to your Saves list
Isabel la Catolica 17, Mexico City 06000, Mexico   |
Ranked #35 of 293 Hotels in Mexico City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California, United States
“Not a 5 star hotel, but not a bad place to be!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This hotel is in the perfect place to walk all over the Historic District of Mexico City. We loved being so close to everything, having a great restaurant attached to the hotel, and a convenience store right next door.

The rooms were clean and all we needed to rest up after walking around all day. They have purified water available on each floor, and each room comes with a pitcher and glasses. We did not get Wi-Fi in the room, but I would go sit in this cute indoor courtyard next to some birds and use it there. The hotel has a late check out, which is super awesome.

There is no shortage of places to eat in the area, or even just to buy snacks. The Pollo place across the street is so good for an affordable meal. The streets in this part of town are very clean (trash wise; it's old, so that part isn't getting washed away) and there are plenty of police to keep you feeling safe. We walked around during the day and night and never felt unsafe. This area is busy and crowded. Most tourist attractions are free to the Mexican people on Sundays, so plan your days.

Room Tip: I liked being on the side with the street, because I liked watching the hustle and bustle, but if yo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here for five nights in late Nov-Dec. Excellent location, just a couple of blocks from the Zocala. This is a good mid-range choice for a hotel, but as such does not have a lot of the bells & whistles, more expensive hotels may have. The hotel is popular with Mexican business people, family groups and small tours (there were a group of medical students there during my stay). Not all rooms have views. My room appeared to have been recently renovated, with a good bathroom and comfortable bed, and was very clean. Hotel staff were professional, helpful and friendly, although some had poor English skills. (I am unilingual). Restaurant was good. Excellent value for downtown Mexico City.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Olympia, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Gillow in Mexico City in three separate stays over ten days (upon arrival, for a few days touring, and before exit), in three different rooms. They were all clean, well-appointed, spacious and two of them (the sixth floor rooms) had nice balconies above the bustling streets. The staff was courteous and helpful and the restaurant was very good. It's located two blocks from the Zocalo.

Room Tip: Some of the sixth floor rooms have nice balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is located at Mexico's City downtown, just a few blocks away from "El Zócalo" and "El Palacio de Bellas Artes". Beautiful facilities with downtown's charming. Customer service is more than excellent, at the very beginning they gave me a room that I was not comfortable with, because it didn't have a window to the street, at the moment I went to the lobby they offered me a new room without asking me why I wanted to change rooms, and they change it without charging extra fees. Prices are really accessible and the hotel is really clean. Lots of restaurants are nearby and also the metro station is one block away from the hotel. I totally would go back and stay there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Hotel Gillow is located on Isabel la Catolica, only blocks from the Zocalo and a block from the new, high-end shopping/dining center, DownTown. The hotel is clean, safe and maintains much of its more historic architecture. I had a single room. It was clean sufficient, though nothing special. The rooms surround an open atrium with a fountain and bird cages, so the sounds of nature take you away from the intensity of the city.
On the downside, there was no safe in the room and the bed (pillows in particular) were extremely firm, so it took a night or two for me to adjust.
There is a decent restaurant in the hotel, which serves quite a nice breakfast buffet. Lunch and dinner were pretty good, but not remarkable. The waitstaff, however, was a high point. Very friendly, attentive. Remembered how I took my coffee. If you are looking for great dining, however, it is very near at hand...El Cardenal is right around the corner on Palma.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
San Fernando, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in June 2013. Our hotel room was basic and very very dated. It was very clean though. My husband and I stayed in a matrimonial room with one double bed - it was very tiny and we hardly had space to move around. Our friends took a double room with two beds, and their room was about 4 times the size of ours. If we had known, we would have paid the small extra amount for a double room.

Service at the hotel was great - the front desk was really helpful with giving directions, calling taxis for us and even changing money.

The location is the best thing about Hotel Gillow. It is a 2 min walk to the Zocalo and a 30sec walk to Calle Madero.

Despite the dated rooms, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is very basic. The room was clean. There is no air conditioning but I had a ceiling fan. It was stuffy in the room. The only outside ventilation was a small window that opened into an interior air shaft.

The mattress was rather on the firm side. There is no safe in the room (though apparently they offer something in the lobby reception). No refrigerator in the room, or ice bucket for that matter, though they do leave a pitcher of fresh water and three glasses, and there is an ice machine down the hall.

The cleaning personnel ignored the do not disturb sign I had left on the door after my first night there (I had gone out for the day, but didn't want to bother putting my computer and other valuables in a safe downstairs, and I figured there was no need to change the sheets or anything, so I just left the sign up -- but they came in anyways, and thankfully nothing was stolen).

The male personnel at the front desk were always disinterested and rather cold. The female personnel (who were only there on my last day) were, on the contrary, quite friendly and helpful.

They have a fairly late checkout time -- 2:00pm -- which was nice since we weren't leaving until the afternoon.

The location is excellent. If you get an outside room there will be a lot of noise (reported by some of my traveling companions who were in those rooms). If you get an inside room like I had it will be very quiet, but also stuffy, as noted above.

If you are just looking for a clean and decent place to crash and otherwise plan to be out all day, this is the place for you -- great location, great price, etc.

The hotel restaurant is nice and the prices quite reasonable. We ate breakfast there one day and the next we went down the street to the Sanborn's, which was a bit more expensive but still a nice alternative.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Gillow? Share your experiences!