“Excellent Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gillow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Gillow
You added Hotel Gillow to your Saves list
Isabel la Catolica 17, Mexico City 06000, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 286 Hotels in Mexico City
Cape Girardeau
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you want to be near the Zòcalo without being immersed in its commotion, the location of Hotel Gillow can't be beat. It is an older hotel with an unassuming entrance and an interior that appeared to me to be meticulously maintained. A central atrium provides light to floors one through six; a fountain and caged birds on the first floor of the atrium make a comforting sound. My room was quite ample in size. The bed was a bit firm but not so much so that I would complain. Bathroom fixtures were fully functional and up-to-date. As with the public spaces, I was struck by my room's cleanliness and its level of maintenance. A friend had a room on the sixth floor with an exterior terrace facing 5 de Mayo. Though his room was much smaller than mine, the terrace almost doubled his actual living space and was a great place to hang out at off times. I doubt that any room is like any other, but I would recommend trying to get one of the rooms with terraces if you can. The staff was friendly, accommodating, and responsive; and assisted readily in fluent English and nary a snicker whenever my pitiful Spanish faltered. I was unimpressed by the breakfast served by the restaurant in the building, though it was adequate. But since there are plenty of restaurants and bars in the area, this is not a significant negative. At the price, this hotel can't be beat. It is a genuine bargain without being a bargain hotel, and I would not hesitate to stay here again if I visit Mexico City again.

Room Tip: Check to see if you can get a room with a terrace on the 6th floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Not having stayed at other hotels in Mexico city we choose this one on the basis of the reviews below and it did not disappoint. The building has some style and is well positioned near the Zòcalo, but not right on it so avoiding the worst of the noise. Standard rooms and beds are a bit small (and beds a bit firm) but our room on the 6th floor also had an outside terrace which was great. Nice shower cubicles, cable TV and WiFi are provided together with drinking water and ice on every floor. There is a restaurant in the building with a varied menu. They’re not good at responding to emails so always call ahead.

Tip. Do have a Sundowner at the rooftop bar of the nearby Gran Hotel - the lobby of which with its Tiffany glass roof are an absolute must see. For eating try the Café De Taguba just a couple of blocks away (NOTE: Spelt wrongly on Tripadvisor)

Room Tip: Try and get one on the 6th floor with terrace (ours was 601)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have been staying at the Hotel Gillow off and on for about 12 or so years. For its location in the historic center, it cannot be beat. We have always been well taken care of the Gillow. From storing bags at the hotel to be picked up on the way back through the city, to being helped with directions, and given recommendations for great restaurants nearby, the staff are savvy and attentive. They can arrange for a driver to the airport in the early hours, or taxi to the outer limits of the Zona Rosa. And they can assist you in English, too!
Although, some rooms are better than others, and some of their pillows are more comfortable than others, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel next time you find yourself with no where to lay your head in the centro historico. As the centro evolves for the better, so has the hotel. They've recently installed two birds cages in the inner courtyard, and the pleasant sound of birdsong is a welcome start to the morning. And the top floor rooms boast flowering planters, where I saw a hummingbird one morning!

Room Tip: South facing top floor rooms have morning sunlight, flowering planters and table and chairs to soak...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer

Thank you so very much for your positive comment of Hotel Gillow,

Im really pleased to hear that the cages for the brids really worked out to bring more harmony on your stay. Since your visit we had remodeled the 6th floor entirely, so now the next time you visit you will have a brand new room plus the balcony.

Nature (such as birds & flowers) are vital in a big city!

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were introduced to Gillow by our friends who frequently stay here. And we understand why now. great location, easy to walk around the central area. Very good price, passable restaurant, friendly staff. Decent bed/mattress. This is the place we will stay at when here... that says it all

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your comment of Hotel Gillow,

We are really pleased to see that some of your friends recommened our property. Since your visit we had remodeled the 6th floor entirely, so now the next time you visit you will have a brand new room plus the balcony you so much enjoy. Moreover you know what they say about the hotel rule of a turist, location location and location! :)

Hope you come back soon!

new york city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. I lucked into one of the top floor rooms with a balcony, which I loved using in the late afternoons. I found the staff to be a little bit dismissive, to be honest, but that doesn't bother me. They left me alone and I just did my thing. I don't know what the other rooms are like. Without the balcony my room would have been very very tiny. But it was impeccably clean and it's a great price. Certainly quiet enough and a great downtown location.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for your comment of Hotel Gillow,

We are really delighted to review your opinion. Since your visit we had remodeled the 6th floor entirely, so now the next time you visit you will have a brand new room plus the balcony you so much enjoyed. I can gurantee that we are working on the service of our staff

Bogotá, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here two nights and it was pretty nice. My room was of decent size, and I even had a terrace with a view of the inner street. It's a standard place, nothing fancy but clean, service is really great, internet works fine and has no annoying steps to log in (just the network password). They have also remodeled the rooms recently so that was also nice.
One thing that I didn't like was the breakfast, not sure why. it wasn't included in my room bill so I had to pay for it and then chose to go elsewhere.
Ah, it was VERY cheap for the quality, service, room, hospitality. Great price, really. Literally one third of what I was paying in a hotel two blocks away.

Room Tip: I got 601 which had a terrance. 602 also has one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Carlos,

Thank you so much for your comment of Hotel Gillow,

We are really devoted to listen to our customer and their opinions. Since your visit we had remodeled the 6th floor entirely, so now the next time you visit you will have a brand new room plus the balcony you so much enjoy. I can gurantee that we are working on the quality of the buffet breakfast.

See you soon,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for one night in August after returning from a trip in Puebla and before going to the airport very early the next morning. It was really close to the Zocalo, Palacio Nacional, and Catedral Metropolitana. The staff were helpful and provided maps for us to find our way around. They also had a computer where we could check in for our flights the next day and print off our boarding passes. We left very early in the morning for the airport (like 5 AM) and it took only about 15-20 minutes to drive there (and cost about 120 pesos). Overall a great place to stay to be close to many sights in the historical center, but also to provide easy access to the airport during non-rush hour times.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Gillow? Share your experiences!