“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Gillow

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hotel Gillow
You added Hotel Gillow to your Saves list
Isabel la Catolica 17, Mexico City 06000, Mexico   |
Ranked #34 of 293 Hotels in Mexico City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
United Kingdom
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were introduced to Gillow by our friends who frequently stay here. And we understand why now. great location, easy to walk around the central area. Very good price, passable restaurant, friendly staff. Decent bed/mattress. This is the place we will stay at when here... that says it all

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your comment of Hotel Gillow,

We are really pleased to see that some of your friends recommened our property. Since your visit we had remodeled the 6th floor entirely, so now the next time you visit you will have a brand new room plus the balcony you so much enjoy. Moreover you know what they say about the hotel rule of a turist, location location and location! :)

Hope you come back soon!

Roberto Gonzalez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
new york city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I really liked this hotel. I lucked into one of the top floor rooms with a balcony, which I loved using in the late afternoons. I found the staff to be a little bit dismissive, to be honest, but that doesn't bother me. They left me alone and I just did my thing. I don't know what the other rooms are like. Without the balcony my room would have been very very tiny. But it was impeccably clean and it's a great price. Certainly quiet enough and a great downtown location.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for your comment of Hotel Gillow,

We are really delighted to review your opinion. Since your visit we had remodeled the 6th floor entirely, so now the next time you visit you will have a brand new room plus the balcony you so much enjoyed. I can gurantee that we are working on the service of our staff

Bogotá, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here two nights and it was pretty nice. My room was of decent size, and I even had a terrace with a view of the inner street. It's a standard place, nothing fancy but clean, service is really great, internet works fine and has no annoying steps to log in (just the network password). They have also remodeled the rooms recently so that was also nice.
One thing that I didn't like was the breakfast, not sure why. it wasn't included in my room bill so I had to pay for it and then chose to go elsewhere.
Ah, it was VERY cheap for the quality, service, room, hospitality. Great price, really. Literally one third of what I was paying in a hotel two blocks away.

Room Tip: I got 601 which had a terrance. 602 also has one.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Carlos,

Thank you so much for your comment of Hotel Gillow,

We are really devoted to listen to our customer and their opinions. Since your visit we had remodeled the 6th floor entirely, so now the next time you visit you will have a brand new room plus the balcony you so much enjoy. I can gurantee that we are working on the quality of the buffet breakfast.

See you soon,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for one night in August after returning from a trip in Puebla and before going to the airport very early the next morning. It was really close to the Zocalo, Palacio Nacional, and Catedral Metropolitana. The staff were helpful and provided maps for us to find our way around. They also had a computer where we could check in for our flights the next day and print off our boarding passes. We left very early in the morning for the airport (like 5 AM) and it took only about 15-20 minutes to drive there (and cost about 120 pesos). Overall a great place to stay to be close to many sights in the historical center, but also to provide easy access to the airport during non-rush hour times.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

For the price you can't get a better hotel in DF. I had booked this months before we traveled and at the last minute had to add an extra day for my daughter and her friend. Martha could not have been more helpful and arranged for them to have the room a day before we arrived. She was also great in answering my various emails about transport from the airport etc. I really appreciated her patience. Our room had a huge balcony, comfy beds and free wifi. As with most hotels in Mexico there was no fridge or tea/coffee making facilities, however, there was a water and ice bar on our floor (probably on all floors) which was great as you can't drink tap water, we were able to fill bottles and have ice water all the time. The staff were all lovely, recommending restaurants and places to see, of which there are many. The area is very safe and just steps from the Zocalo, the nearby metro is fast, convenient and cheap 3pesos wherever you go,(avoid peak hours, extremely crowded). DF is such a huge, wonderful, diverse city with so much energy, friendly locals, beautiful museums, great shopping and so many places to explore that I think you could spend months here and still not do it justice. Hotel Gillow is the perfect base from which to experience it all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony so you can relax with an afternoon drink and watch the passing parade.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I normally stay at less expensive hotels in DF, but for this trip with my wife, my brother, and his wife, we splurged. Now, splurge is a relative term. By most city standards, the Gillow is very inexpensive for this quality of hotel. A standard room for two at the Gillow is about $730 MEX or $54US. Their suites run $890 or $66 US. Obviously, for a few dollars more we chose the upgrade to the suite. It was a great decision! Our room on the fifth floor overlooked the corner of Isabel la Catolica and Ave. 5 de Mayo. It's spacious, comfortable, and modern. Another plus is the jacuzzi bathtub. What a treat after a long day of sight seeing! The Hotel Gillow is just two blocks from the cathedral and just one block off Madera, the pedestrian walking street running from the zocalo to the Palacio Bellas Artes. It's right in the middle of the historical district. One has good eateries, as well as many attractions, in every direction and within walking distance. The closest metro stop, Allende, is just two blocks away. The staff at the Gillow is great! Most of the front desk staff speak some English. In any case, communicating with them has not been a problem. The staff in the restaurant is equally friendly and accommodating. As this is my brother's first trip to Mexico, he couldn't be more pleased with my selection of the Gillow. I know he'll return to the capital in the future and will enjoy a return stay here.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite. For just a little more the rooms are much superior to the standard hotel rooms h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
GMRoberto, Director General at Hotel Gillow, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your comment of Hotel Gillow!

We really appreciate all your observations of our property and its surroundings. We are delighted to see that you had a great time with your brother and his wife. More importantly we love to receive foreing guests like you!

We are looking foward in welcoming you again!

Best Regards,

Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Since 2003, I have made a yearly trip to the DF. Mexico City has a great deal to offer the traveler: Museums, Melded Cultures, Cafes, Street Food, Street Vendors, Music, Shopping, Inexpensive Transportation... Often, I wonder why more people from the USA don't take the time to visit... Oh well, their loss! Usually, with a World Class City, finding a fair price and an acceptable place to stay is impossible. Not in the DF! The Hotel Gillow has found me a "regular". In the middle of all the attractions of the Centro Historico, this hotel is a fantastic deal. Friendly Staff who, if your Spanish is like mine, "Passable", will assist you in English with directions, suggestions and recommendations. The rooms are very clean. The rest rooms have up to date fixtures that allow the traveler, who may not be accustomed to using a "bin" for TP, to send used paper away to where is belongs! Filtered water and ice (filtered) is available on every floor. The Housekeeping Staff is very friendly and efficient, too! At about 40 USD a night, this hotel is really a fantastic deal. Form the Ambiance, the Decor, the Location, the Staff and the Service, you will be hard pressed to find a better deal in the 40 to 60 dollar range. I highly recommend the Hotel Gillow.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing Isabel la Catolica are a little quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your comment of Hotel Gillow.

We really appreciate your good observations. Especially that you had a great time with us for a fare price!

Thank you again for your time and we are looking foward in welcoming you agian.

Have a great day!

Roberto Gonzalez

Been to Hotel Gillow? Share your experiences!