“A homely gem in the centre of Mexico” 4 of 5 stars

Save MXN100 on select meals
Ranked #23 of 293 Hotels in Mexico City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A homely gem in the centre of Mexico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Casa Gonzalez, was a lovely, homely place to stay with very friendly and helpful staff; though some cannot speak English. However most staffing the main reception, during the day can speak English.
My only issue was the addition of the local taxes, which didn't seem too clear when I booked: though, maybe it was the site I used.
Breakfast was worth every peso, plus a very central location and easy to access many areas.
Tourist maps, i think are available on request, as is most of the tourist information. Internet access on computers in reception is helpful as well.
My room was great, no air con, but a ceiling fan was sufficient, plus a great shower! :)
It seems a bit rambling, but it has a lovely open courtyard, where you can have lunch and/ or dinner, with a small fountain; though I did not eat here, except for breakfast
Overall, I would highly recommend Casa Gonzalez.

Room Tip: My room was above the street, yet was quiet enough.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review.

I do want to apologize that it was not clear taxes were not included in the price you saw. Sometimes we cannot fully control how our guest house appears on certain sites. But we will try to present the information in a way that does not lead to confusion.

In Mexico City we do not have central heating nor air conditioning in private homes because the weather is usually very good all year long. The average for the day for most of the year is about 70 Fahrenheit (including summer and winter).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Indonesian first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here for a week in March with my partner and two friends. The location is great, and I felt like we could safely walk to the Chapultepec Park area, to the Insurgentes Metro station, and to the Centro Historico. I was much happier staying in this area than I would have been in the Centro. When we weren't feeling like navigating public transit, the hotel was just fabulous at calling us cabs or arranging a driver. If we felt like going somewhere on foot, the front desk staff would help us navigate. Really, the service was top notch. The daytime staff spoke excellent English.

We could always find good things to eat close by. During the weekdays, I had some amazing street tacos just down the street, and the torta stand just outside the hotel was delicious as well. The hotel's food was good as well. I loved the daily breakfast in the gorgeous dining room and chatting with other visitors. For only $5, you could get fruit, pan dulce, coffee, and something heartier like eggs or pancakes. My favorites were the mole eggs and the eggs with chorizo.

The courtyard was a gorgeous place to meet up with our friends before and after exploring the city, and for reading books. I will note that the WiFi was much stronger than the courtyard than our rooms, which might be problematic if you needed to get work done in bad weather. I was fine bringing my computer out, ordering a coffee, and watching the hummingbirds in March.

We heard from some other guests that the driver that the hotel arranged to take them to the Teotihuacan pyramids also took them to some tourist trap tequila factories, but we didn't have that problem with our driver--I just used basic Spanish to ask to return to the hotel right away. I don't think this reflects poorly on the hotel, as this is a standard practice in many highly touristed areas, but I would be aware that this might happen and have an exit strategy in place before you go.

If I am fortunate enough to return to Mexico City in the future, I will be definitely stay at Casa Gonzalez again.

Room Tip: 126 faced the interior courtyard, and was quite nice--my favorite of the bunch. 122 was hot during t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you very much for such a detailed and kind review.

We are working on improving the WiFi service, it´s a challenge with the thick walls. We have changed all our routers within the last six months and gotten two optical fiber connections.

Thank you for mentioning that some guests had been taken to a tourist trap by a cab driver we recommended. This makes me very angry because they are not supposed to do this. If we find out who it was we will no longer work with him.

We should be remodeling room 122 soon and it will not be so hot or cold. The problem with that room is that is has too many windows. I know this room well it used to be my room when I was young (when I was five)…
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at Casa Gonzales for 2 nights in March and were very happy with our room and with all the services. The hotel is well located near bus routes for the Museo de Bellas Artes and to the Anthropological museum. Also, there is a very good choice of restaurants within 5 to 10 minutes walking distance from the hotel. We loved the nearby flower shop which had beautiful displays of flowers as well as some flower "arrangements" depicting animals! We will definitely return.

Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for your most kind review.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

A lovely stay at Casa Gonzalez. The beds were extremely comfortable, noise was minimal and the location next to Colonia Roma gave us a lot of options for food and drink. We are coming back to DF at the end of April and hope that we can get a room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street for a quieter night sleep.
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are working on making the street rooms quieter.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I spent three nights at Casa Gonzalez in March. I was in room 104 with a single bed. It shares the terrace with 103 that has a double bed. It's above the restaurant and very quiet. I really liked the room and the price (700 pesos). It's small but big enough for a single traveler. My only small complaint is that the bed has a plastic cover over the mattress. Yes, there is a cotton layer on top of the plastic but I woke up sweating two nights in a row and I could feel the plastic. It would cost the hotel about 5 dollars to put an all cotton mattress cover on the bed. This would make a world of difference. Otherwise, I can highly recommend the hotel. It felt very safe for a single traveler. I ate 2 nights dinner at the restaurant. I highly recommend the vegetarian lasagna. I cannot say the same for the quesadillas. Very dry and the "guacamole" was made with an unripe avocado. My favorite dish for breakfast was the oatmeal. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: 104 is quiet and good for a single.
Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review!

We appreciate you telling us about your bed, dry quesadillas and the bad guacamole. We will pay a lot of attention to fix this.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This hotel is not in the most exciting neighborhood nor is it the hippest spot, but it's well situated to walk all around the city, the area is safe, the rooms and courtyards are charming and the people who work there are kind, professional and helpful. We stayed 5 nights, had a few problems with a not-quite-working-right shower which was a little slow to get fixed but enjoyed the breakfast in the communal dining room. A good mid-priced option, we'd probably stay here again.

Room Tip: There's a great taco spot, Don Guero's, right down the block.
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
I want to apologize for not getting an immediate response to the problem with your shower. We will work on acting faster on any maintenance issues.

Thank you again for posting your review.
Germantown, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

What can I say that hasn't been said?

Great neighborhood, beautiful property and rooms, fair price.

I'll say this: Casa Gonzalez is a great example of what happens when you really pay attention to detail.

They get too many of these right for it to be an accident.

Example 1: The breakfast eating area has two tables at angles to each other. It's an arrangement that encourages you to be sociable by sitting at the table with most of the other guests, but usually, since one table may be empty otherwise, you don't have to be. Breakfast is quite good, by the way. I highly recommend the omelet, and the chilaquiles if you're really hungry. Coffee average - but plentiful!

Example 2: The little tags you hang on your door to let the maids know whether to clean the room, or not disturb, are color-coded, red and green! Why doesn't everybody do this? It must make it so much easier for the maids to know at a distance!

Example 3: They encourage you to go to the office to let them fill the water bottles that the maids place in the rooms. This solves two problems very neatly: the problem of litter from these water bottles, and the problem of what to do when you run out of water.

By the way, it's a short walk across a pleasant courtyard to get from any of the rooms to the office.

We were very happy with our room. Actually, we ended up with a little better, and more pricey, room, than I would have gotten for two people otherwise - this was because I showed up the day before we planned to move in, to make the reservation, and it was difficult to find a room that was vacant for the whole stretch of 5 days that we wished to stay. However, the room turned out to be a very nice suite, and the price, at well under 1000 pesos, was quite reasonable for the quality of lodging and the location.

Another thing I liked was that if you wanted to eat there, you could sit at an outdoor table in the courtyard - very pleasant - and the food, while a bit basic, is very reasonably priced. Beer is quite reasonably priced as well, but you must have food accompanying it.

We never had a problem getting a cab from the hotel - there was always a taxi waiting right at the corner. The subway and Metrobus are pretty close as well.

Not too many problems to relate.

One shower did not work - not a problem with two bathrooms available! We never even asked about it.

There was something of a comedy with the room safe - for some reason, the PIN I picked never allowed me to open it again, and I'd need to go fetch the manager on duty to open it back up. I finally picked another PIN that worked fine. He thought I was insane, I'm sure.

Wi-fi was spotty within the room, but worked great outside. We think it was just a ploy to get us out into the fresh air and sunlight!

Room Tip: You might want to call well ahead, since in our own case, having showed up in person just the day be...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for such a detailed and kind review.

We have very strong feeling about the water bottles, but you know most guests prefer water bottles. We used to have only water pitchers.

Been to Hotel Casa Gonzalez? Share your experiences!