“A Taste of Mexico City in the Thirties” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rio Sena 69, Mexico City 06500, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 295 Hotels in Mexico City
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“A Taste of Mexico City in the Thirties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

On the recommendation of a friend who had stayed in Casa Gonzalez often since the 1970s, my son, myself and 3 teen aged girls spent last weekend there. We were warned not to expect glossy high style accommodations. We didn't expect to find a treasure. The hotel is made up of three large 1920's house braided together without the interference of an architect or designer. Much of the furniture is from the 30's, the dining room has a portrait of a stylish lady in period evening dress, and possibly some interesting traveler will be enjoying the nicely served breakfast at the same time you are. It's a little like visiting your great aunt if you were lucky enough to have one who had hung onto the family house in a good neighborhood (the British Embassy is down the street). The staff were warm, welcoming and eager to help. You park your car within the gates. It was cool when we were there so didn't miss air-conditioning. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. The beds are okay if not luxurious and the bedding borders on eccentric. An example of the friendly, personal service: I left my small down pillow behind and it was sent by courier the next day! All this for an amazingly low price for a desirable, convenient area in Mexico City!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time of posting such a nice review.

We will put extra attention to the issues you did not rate us with five stars (sleep quality and rooms). We are aware of these issues and will work to improve so that on your next visit you will have a better experience.

Hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Indonesian first
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

we usually stayed at the Maria Cristina in Mexico City but the reviews on Tripadvisor gave Casa Gonzalez much better ratings so we gave it a try and we are so glad we did! This will definitely be our new home in Mexico City and anyone looking for a quiet, authentic Mexican place should give Casa Gonzalez serious consideration.

First, if you like fancy hotels, this is not the place for you. This place is a jem if you like to feel at home while on vacation. Casa Gonzalez gives you the feeling that you are visiting an aunt in the capital. The location is unbeatable just a few blocks or 2 minute walk from the Zona Rosa and a 10 minute walk from a big mall on Reforma. Security has never been an issue and we never felt that we were putting ourselves at risk while walking in the neighborhood with our kids, even at night.

We traveled with 2 kids (9 and 11) so we booked the two bedroom (Room 120). It is on the ground floor and has a private outdoor terrace. Each bedroom had a bathroom although the kids used mainly our bath becaus the shower had more pressure. The rooms are very clean albeit the furniture is on the older side. But this is exactly what gives Casa Gonzalez its charm. Please do note that although all doors and windows do shut properly and are safe, you will hear noise between the rooms and from outside. Do not expect soundproof rooms. However, the hotel is on a quiet street and given that the hotel is small this is not an issue. The interior patio is beautiful and the perfect place to hang out after a day in the busy city.

Although breakfast is not included, a simple light breakfast (juice, bread, jam, coffee/tea/hot chocolate) is extremely affordable, under $4 is I recall correctly. We had dinner at the hotel 2 nights and it was delicious. We have yet to try the paninis as both nights these were not available.

The staff at this hotel is outstanding, they all make you feel at home and immediately address any request that you might have. For example, we wanted to book a tour to Teotihuacan and 20 minutes later we had a confirmation in our room! I have nothing but good things to say about the entire staff, including cooks and breakfast staff.
On a side note, we ended up changing the day and person as another day did suit us better. If you need a fantastic, trustworthy, and kid friendly guide you should contact Carlos at www.travelmasmexico.com. He was incredible with the kids and explained the history of the country and the major dates in a playful way. He told the kids that he was going to quiz them at the end of the tour to see who wins and he did so. The kids had a fabulous time and learned so much. We paid 1200 pesos for the 4 of us for a customized visit of various sites for about 7 hours.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time of posting such a nice review.

Hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent, safe location, walking distance to Zona Rosa (2 min), Historial center (30-40 h), Bosque de Chapultepec (20-30 min), and subway station /metrobus Insurgentes.

Located in the ground floor, I was glad that we did not hear street noise.
The interior patio is beautiful, and you can use its outdoor tables and chairs.

Furniture and building are a bit old, but reasonably well maintained. No air conditioner or fridge in our room (750 MXC pesos), but not needed, really. TV/ wi-fi and ceiling fan in good condition.

Breakfast is not included in the rate, but you can get a basic one for a moderate price. They serve other foods also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review.

I do want to update a couple of things, our prices changed early this year and we no longer include breakfast. We do have a policy that if we quote a price we will honor it regardless of prices increases.

One of our objectives is to keep our prices low and continue improving our services.

We have a program to redo most of our furniture and should be finished in a couple of months. Some of our furniture is almost a hundred years old and has been renovated already several times. In fact part of the furniture belonged to my great-grandmother.

I am also exited to share with you that we signed a deal with a new company to implement a “green” mosquito control. This has always been a problem with the gardens and I have been reluctant to spray with regular pesticides.

Well having said all that, we hope to have the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I haven't been to Mexico City since 1978 but I just found these reviews of my old "home" and wanted to tell everyone about my experience and the value of consistency.

I moved to the City in the summer of 1978 as a musician in the Theatre Orchestra of the Palace of Fine Arts (Bellas Artes). I stayed at a very nice hotel close to the Bellas Artes but in my travels around the city I often walked by Casa Gonzalez (at the time it was protected from the street by a tall wrought iron fence) and often wondered who lived inside that white palatial compound. I found a fellow member of the orchestra who had once stayed there and decided to see if I, too, could get a room inside this lovely estate!

Suffice it to say I was successful and over the course of six months I had several beautiful rooms and met numerous very memorable people. Senor Gonzalez (who I am assuming was the current owner's father) was most cordial and engaging. The meals were outstanding and when I didn't eat there I never had any trouble finding whatever fare I desired within two to three blocks.

If the current reviews are correct I look forward to, once again, visiting Mexico City and Casa Gonzalez in the very near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your review!
It has brought very nice memories. For many years we had many musicians. Our government invited many musicians from around the world.
I especially remember a distinguished French cellist then became a very good family friend. I believe she stayed with us about a year.
We had frequent concerts in the garden and living room of the house.
We have had many changes since then. My father passed away in 2000.
We have expanded to the house next door and we have improved services.
Please let me know in advance when you visit us so I can make a point in visiting with you, I do want to hear your stories about your experience in town. I unfortunately travel a lot since we have opened other properties.
Jorge
Portland, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Casa Gonzalez was recommended to us by a friend who has often stayed there and it was every bit as good as she said. We stayed for three days at the start of our trip and four days days at the end and on both occasions our rooms were spotlessly clean, spacious and very comfortable.
The beautiful garden, courtyard and dining room are a highlight, so tranquil and quiet after a day out in Mexico City. The breakfast is delicious, and very good value. We were extremely impressed by the friendly, efficient and super helpful service. Thank you to Jorge and staff for making our stay in your beautiful city so enjoyable,we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review.
We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place has so much going for it that it makes me sad to give it a bad review. The location is great, the hotel is beautiful (the courtyard in particular), the rooms are huge and the service is excellent.
The unforgivable part is that the bed was TERRIBLE. Literally the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on. Hard, creaky and covered in a sheet that was too small.
When I'm at a hotel, the number one thing I want is a comfortable sleep and I didn't get that for any of the three nights I stayed here. It makes the entire trip less enjoyable when you're tired the whole time. And a lot of other reviews have noted they had terrible beds too so I don't think my room was an outlier.
If this place had better beds I would give it five stars.
Also, there's no air conditioning. It was warm while we were there so we left the window open overnight and mosquitoes came in and bit us a ton of times while we slept. That also made things worse.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we always appreciate your opinion.

We are very sorry you had such a bad experience during your stay, we are putting spetial atention to all the issues you mention.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have not been to Mexico City recently, but when I go there I always stay at Casa Gonzalez. I discovered it many years ago in a Frommer's book. It is a charming place, and you feel very safe and comfortable there. It is well located, and they are very helpful. When I get back to Mexico City that is definitely where I will hang my hat.

Room Tip: I have traveled with others, and alone. I liked all of my rooms. The solor room was small, but coz...