“Comfortable and well located” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rio Sena 69, Mexico City 06500, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 295 Hotels in Mexico City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Comfortable and well located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent, safe location, walking distance to Zona Rosa (2 min), Historial center (30-40 h), Bosque de Chapultepec (20-30 min), and subway station /metrobus Insurgentes.

Located in the ground floor, I was glad that we did not hear street noise.
The interior patio is beautiful, and you can use its outdoor tables and chairs.

Furniture and building are a bit old, but reasonably well maintained. No air conditioner or fridge in our room (750 MXC pesos), but not needed, really. TV/ wi-fi and ceiling fan in good condition.

Breakfast is not included in the rate, but you can get a basic one for a moderate price. They serve other foods also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review.

I do want to update a couple of things, our prices changed early this year and we no longer include breakfast. We do have a policy that if we quote a price we will honor it regardless of prices increases.

One of our objectives is to keep our prices low and continue improving our services.

We have a program to redo most of our furniture and should be finished in a couple of months. Some of our furniture is almost a hundred years old and has been renovated already several times. In fact part of the furniture belonged to my great-grandmother.

I am also exited to share with you that we signed a deal with a new company to implement a “green” mosquito control. This has always been a problem with the gardens and I have been reluctant to spray with regular pesticides.

Well having said all that, we hope to have the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I haven't been to Mexico City since 1978 but I just found these reviews of my old "home" and wanted to tell everyone about my experience and the value of consistency.

I moved to the City in the summer of 1978 as a musician in the Theatre Orchestra of the Palace of Fine Arts (Bellas Artes). I stayed at a very nice hotel close to the Bellas Artes but in my travels around the city I often walked by Casa Gonzalez (at the time it was protected from the street by a tall wrought iron fence) and often wondered who lived inside that white palatial compound. I found a fellow member of the orchestra who had once stayed there and decided to see if I, too, could get a room inside this lovely estate!

Suffice it to say I was successful and over the course of six months I had several beautiful rooms and met numerous very memorable people. Senor Gonzalez (who I am assuming was the current owner's father) was most cordial and engaging. The meals were outstanding and when I didn't eat there I never had any trouble finding whatever fare I desired within two to three blocks.

If the current reviews are correct I look forward to, once again, visiting Mexico City and Casa Gonzalez in the very near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your review!
It has brought very nice memories. For many years we had many musicians. Our government invited many musicians from around the world.
I especially remember a distinguished French cellist then became a very good family friend. I believe she stayed with us about a year.
We had frequent concerts in the garden and living room of the house.
We have had many changes since then. My father passed away in 2000.
We have expanded to the house next door and we have improved services.
Please let me know in advance when you visit us so I can make a point in visiting with you, I do want to hear your stories about your experience in town. I unfortunately travel a lot since we have opened other properties.
Jorge
Portland, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Casa Gonzalez was recommended to us by a friend who has often stayed there and it was every bit as good as she said. We stayed for three days at the start of our trip and four days days at the end and on both occasions our rooms were spotlessly clean, spacious and very comfortable.
The beautiful garden, courtyard and dining room are a highlight, so tranquil and quiet after a day out in Mexico City. The breakfast is delicious, and very good value. We were extremely impressed by the friendly, efficient and super helpful service. Thank you to Jorge and staff for making our stay in your beautiful city so enjoyable,we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review.
We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place has so much going for it that it makes me sad to give it a bad review. The location is great, the hotel is beautiful (the courtyard in particular), the rooms are huge and the service is excellent.
The unforgivable part is that the bed was TERRIBLE. Literally the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on. Hard, creaky and covered in a sheet that was too small.
When I'm at a hotel, the number one thing I want is a comfortable sleep and I didn't get that for any of the three nights I stayed here. It makes the entire trip less enjoyable when you're tired the whole time. And a lot of other reviews have noted they had terrible beds too so I don't think my room was an outlier.
If this place had better beds I would give it five stars.
Also, there's no air conditioning. It was warm while we were there so we left the window open overnight and mosquitoes came in and bit us a ton of times while we slept. That also made things worse.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we always appreciate your opinion.

We are very sorry you had such a bad experience during your stay, we are putting spetial atention to all the issues you mention.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have not been to Mexico City recently, but when I go there I always stay at Casa Gonzalez. I discovered it many years ago in a Frommer's book. It is a charming place, and you feel very safe and comfortable there. It is well located, and they are very helpful. When I get back to Mexico City that is definitely where I will hang my hat.

Room Tip: I have traveled with others, and alone. I liked all of my rooms. The solor room was small, but coz...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I want to thank you for such a kind review.
I also want to say I am sorry I did not get a chance to visit with you, I sometimes hide in the office doing accounting work and other fun stuff...
I hope we have the pleasure of having you stay with us again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was lucky to have found out about Casa Gonzalez on my way home from Mexico and needed a hotel for one night in Mexico City. It is hidden behind a thick wall in the Zona Rosa section of the city and so upon entering you feel as if you have entered a secret hideaway with a lovely garden courtyard that winds its way from the front to the back of the property. Surrounding the courtyard are rooms on various levels, some with balconies overlooking the courtyard. The layout of the rooms has a bungalow feel, so even though every room opens out to the courtyard, it is private. My room was spotless and simply furnished, but with a large closet, nice-sized bathroom and shower. In the evening, it was lovely to sit out in the quiet, tranquil courtyard at the end of the day and enjoy refreshments and snacks that were available. The intimate setting and friendly, helpful staff almost made you feel you were in another era before big box, cookie-cutter hotels became the norm. The small hotel also has a breakfast room where you can have a hearty or light breakfast before venturing out for the day. I will definitely stay at Casa Gonzalez again if I have the chance and highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your most kind review.
You motivate us to try and do better.
We hope to have the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the near future.
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Casa Gonzalez is like a home away from home. The staff are extremely nice and helpful! The location is warm, cozy, clean and very central in Mexico City. The room I got had it's own balcony, a tub and a king size bed. I slept like a baby! Breakfast is delicious and in a very nice dining room full of character! They also have a beautiful patio and you can have some tea, coffee or beer at the patio. My stay at Casa Gonzalez was so pleasant that this inspired me to write my first review on trip advisor. I highly recommend Casa Gonzalez!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your most kind review. You inspire us to keep on improving.
Hope to see you again in the near future.