“QUIET COURT YARD HOTEL JUST OFF THE PASEO DE LA REFORMA” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 280 hotels in Mexico City
Seattle, Washington
“QUIET COURT YARD HOTEL JUST OFF THE PASEO DE LA REFORMA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a good place to kick back in a chair in the court yard right next to your room and rest a while before your next adventure of the day in Mexico City. And the price is right. OK so the place is a tad funky, a tad worn but it is well kept up and wears well its 20's or 30's architectural character. The office help is attentive and the communal breakfast is served on Mexican dinnerware (none of that generic buffet you are likely to get in your average Mexican hotel). Because of its reputation and tradition, you may find yourself sharing your table with a visiting professor, a French anthropologist, a Mexican on business or a young Australian world traveler. It is all part of the ambiance. For dinner, just hop across the Paseo de la Reforma and you are in the Zona Rosa. A pair of walking shoes will take you to Chapultapec Park or to the Zocolo by way of the Palacio de Bella Artes. One note of caution: Some of the upstairs rooms are to be avoided. They are bad conversions from whatever was upstairs once.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we always greatly value your opinion.

The two main houses were built in 1920 by my grandfather, and started as the original guest house in about 1930. The other two houses were built in the 30's and 40's.

The original lay out of the main house were four rooms that shared one bath room. When we started it was rented like that with just one bath... The rent was $4.00 USD per week including all meals, laundry and daily room service. Those were difficult times.

Over time we renovated the house adding bathrooms to every room. It was a challenge especially in the old house. I have to admit some of the rooms in the old houses are small.

We have continuous remodeling: all the plumbing, the wiring and most bath rooms have been entirely redone over the last few years.

Well that is perhaps more than you wanted to hear about Casa Gonzalez... But I believe it is important for me to share this with you.

Again thank you for your most kind review.

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Indonesian first
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Casa Gonzalez is in a great location within walking distance of neighborhood restaurants. At night it is quiet which is hard to find in Mexico. It could be a really wonderful place to stay but isn't. There is no management presence so when the recepcionist was snippy there was nobody to turn to. When there were no towels in my room there was no urgency on the part of the woman in the office to do anything about it until it suited her schedule. When the door to my room wouldn't open because the lock was broken, there was no sense that maybe I should be given a different room - one with a lock that wasn't broken. If there had been good management they would have checked to see that rooms had been cleaned and restocked with towels after cleaning and they would have known that the lock was broken and fixed it because after all if you can't open the door to a room you have lost the revenue that would have been gained from renting it out.

The other problem at Casa Gonzalez for many Americans is smoking. Yes, you are allowed to smoke outside in Mexico but it isn't very pleasant to be sitting in the patio and have people at adjacent tables smoking or people smoking on the shared balconies of some of the rooms. Since the two patio areas are separate, it should be possible to designate only one of them as smoking or make the whole place no smoking.

Because they were unable to open the door for the room I was originally scheduled to occupy I was assigned to one that was very small. A large person would not have been able to use the bathroom. The mattress was harder than anything I have ever experienced even in remote areas of Mexico and had been covered with plastic under the sheet so everytime I changed position the sheet would move over the plastic, producing creases that dug into my skin. The pillows are old and lumpy - I couldn't help but wonder as sleepless hours passed if they were the original pillows? The owners should be forced to sleep on that bed and see how they like it.

My overall impression is that this could be a great place to stay but it needs to have money spent on it which probably isn't going to happen. It isn't even a great value - it is just a great discomfort. Too bad.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for posting such a detailed review of Casa Gonzalez, we always appreciate your opinion. We are sorry your stay was not as pleasant as we would have liked it to be.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Mexico city hotels are expensive, and this place was astonishingly cheap -- a single room here was less than half the price of anything else I could find. And for that price I got a lot -- a clean room with all the basic amenities, a great location,
and public areas that are just beautiful -- colorful dining areas and a lovely courtyard. And best of all, five star service.

But of course some aspects of the hotel are exactly what you'd expect from an ultra-budget choice. The rooms are small and also a bit musty.
The space shortage is made more acute by the furniture, which featured big bulky armchairs past their prime.
Each room has its own quirks -- e.g. some of the first floor rooms require climbing up a steep step (barely more than a ladder); most of the ground floor rooms are very noisy during the day, although quiet enough at night. The lighting is a bit dim, and the beds tend to be hard.
The wifi was intermittent in some rooms and non-existent in others, but there are several computers in the reception area that should be sufficient for those needing only a quick internet fix per day.

So this place is not for everyone. If you are looking for a friendly place where you can get guidance from the staff as well as the other guests; if you plan to be out almost all of the day;
or if you just want to save your money for something else -- this
would be a great choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for posting such detailed comments about the house, we greatly appreciate your opinion and will keep on working to improve the issues you point out while maintaining our low prices.
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I reserved a room at the Casa Gonzalez because of the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. We were sadly disappointed with the room. It was the smallest room that we have ever seen. It was difficult for two people to move in the room at the same time. The room also had a moldy smell. There was a semi-private balcony but when it was used by another couple it sounded like they were in our room. There is also no t.v. in the rooms or even the common room.
I also would have appreciated a friendlier welcome when we arrived.

The hotel is well located a block away from Zona Rosa and near Chapultepec Park but we won't be returning because of the size of the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
j_ortiz_moore, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we always appreciate hearing from you.

I am very sorry you were not happy with the room you had. It was our less expensive rooms not facing the street (about $55.00 USD per night at today's exchange rate) and the room is small. We do have larger rooms also at moderate prices.

We will speak with the lady that did not greet you upon your arrival, we work very hard on training our personnel and put special attention everybody's courtesy.

We hope to have the pleasure of having you stay in the future so we can change the bad opinion you have about us.

Best wishes,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Good location and value for an economical pied-a-terre in el D F.

Room Tip: ask for a large room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are very grateful for your kind note.

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Do expect an individual place to stay in a calm, safe and handy location with some charming features and a real Mexican flavour. Do not expect a slick chain-run and ultimately characterless international hotel. Casa Gonzalez is based around lovely, flower-filled courtyard gardens which make it the perfect place to relax after travelling, working or sightseeing. I experienced friendly service from the moment I reserved and was given the requested room away from the street frontage and looking onto one of the courtyards. The room was simply but pleasantly furnished and clean with an attractive tiled bathroom. The continental breakfast was simple and tasty though I could have opted for more filling alternatives, had I wished, and served on local crockery in a lovely dining room with an art deco window. There are a couple of useful computers in the reception area for the use of guests. The only difficult point was locating the bell to ring for initial entry (you are given a key for subsequent access) which an entryphone style button high on the wall to the left of the glazed door on the far left of the street facade. Don't expect a large, clear sign indicated the Casa Gonzalez but look instead for the house number. The area is one of pleasant, tree-lined streets only a couple blocks from Reforma and eight or nine blocks from Insurgentes metro station. I'm so glad that I chose Casa Gonzalez as it set the tone for the stay in Mexico city, it was good to meet other guests over breakfast and the location was ideal for both wandering and the metro.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
I want to thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review.
We look forward to having the pleasure of having you stay with us again in the not so distant future.
Queretaro, Mexcio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Upon arriving, and after numerous emails with Jorge and having received email confirmation of my reservation, I was coldly told by the front desk woman (Thurs. June 28am) that my reservation had been cancelled. She then stared at me and said NOTHING. Hello? I explained that I had paid for my reservation and had email confirmation for such, at which time she REPEATED that my reservation had been cancelled. Which forced me to then ask, so, well, do you have any rooms?... what do you expect me to do now? She turned, said nothing and proceeded to click away on the computer. After a bit of time she said she had made me a new reservation but the room would not be ready until after 3pm. cold, cold, cold. I am trained and skilled in customer relations and I found her professionalism and demeanor to be a detriment to the hotel. It was not a pleasant introduction. (In contrast the other front desk woman over the weekend (the woman who worked Friday night/Sat was lovely, professional and an asset to the establishment).

The room was a disappointment. The furniture, although old, (and I don't have a problem with old) is somewhat dysfunctional and either needs to be repaired or replaced. The rug on the floor was covered in lint and debris (obviously not vacuumed). There was no hot water in the bathroom upon my arrival to the room and the shower head was so clogged with mineral deposits that the water came out only in a trickle. I asked to have these things checked and it took hours for this to occur. After traveling for two days, and in need of a shower, and after my rude reception, I was ready to find other accommodations. Unfortunately I was unable to find another place on short notice and stayed, although I cut my trip short as I pretty much had enough. My particular room was extremely moldy and I ended up with a miserable sinus infection due to my allergies to mold. Suffice to say, I spent as little time as possible in the room and when there kept the windows wide open.

The internet wifi worked fine, and otherwise, the staff were friendly and pleasant. Other rooms at the hotel may be a lot nicer, I did not see them.

The location is good, the establishment feels very safe.The common areas are very clean and the gardens are beautiful. But, given the number of other hotels, hostels and B&B's, I would definitely not return and will look elsewhere when I am in Mexico City again.

The continental breakfast consisted of coffee, juice and somewhat dry white bread with butter and jam. The second morning, I did receive sliced bananas as well. Given the price of the hotel and the low cost of lovely Mexican pan dulce I would think they might offer something a bit nicer in the way of continental breakfast. I did not order a full menu breakfast so cannot comment on same.

Be aware that if you make a phone call (actually, pick up the phone to dial, whether or not your call actually connects to an individual) YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE CALL after three rings. I was only told this after questioning the charges on my bill. I had to make a call within Mexico (the individual was not home and no answering machine) and I was charged for each attempt as if I had spoken to someone. No one at the front desk let me know about this. It was an expensive mistake. I asked for some compensation and was told no, and that the whole world operates on this system. Really? (Once again I was speaking with the Thurs 28am front desk woman, which was unfortunate).

I had been very much looking forward to my stay at Casa Gonzalez given the reviews that I read, but will assuredly not stay here again. I'm not rich, I don't need fancy or need to have staff waiting on me hand and foot. But I do feel rather deceived. I believe that if the owners of this establishment want satisfied customers they need to live up to the description of the hotel that they put out on their website.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
I thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, we always appreciate your opinion.

It makes me very sad your stay at Casa Gonzalez was not good. We have been working very hard towards establishing procedures and training personnel. Your review is motivation for us to work harder and pay much more attention to the details you mention.

Just for the record, you stayed in our least expensive single room (room 117), it's about $34.00 USD per night (including taxes and continental breakfast).

I am sorry you were upset with our phone billing procedure and apologize for the (wrong) answer that was given to you by the lady at the front desk. Our phone rates are among the lowest (calls to the US and Canada are about 35 US cents per minute). I do want to point out that calls answered by answering machines are charged from the moment the call is answered.
Your total phone bill over your three night stay was about $6.00 USD. I will personally review what you were billed and we will issue an immediate refund if we have a mistake.

We have already taken action regarding the lady at the front desk to ensure what happened to you will not happen again.

We hope to have the pleasure of having you stay with us again on another time so we can change the bad impression you have of Casa Gonzalez.

Been to Hotel Casa Gonzalez? Share your experiences!