“Restful place in a bustling city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Emporio Reforma

You added Emporio Reforma to your Saves list
Emporio Reforma
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Paseo de la Reforma 124 | Col. Juarez, Mexico City 06600, Mexico   |
Ranked #39 of 287 Hotels in Mexico City
San Leandro, California
“Restful place in a bustling city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

I spent three nights at the Emporio and was very pleased with the service, rooms and location. It is within easy walking distance to the Zocalo and Alameda along with other sites. The room was a good size and very comfortable and modern. The bathroom was particularly great - large, great bathtub/shower. As a female solo traveler, I felt safe my entire visit.

I have stayed in other hotels in Mexico City and paid far more than my nights at the Emporio. Those places, particularly the Best Western on the Zocalo, was horrible compared to the Emporio. I am looking forward to my next visit to the DF and Emporio.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oak Park, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

I really enjoyed my 4 night stay at the hotel. I went to Mexico City to walk around and explore the city so the location was great.; between Zona Rosa and Centro Historico. I stayed in a standard room and while I have read people complain about the size of the rooms and i was every comfortable in it. This isnt the type of hotel you come to be pampered. So the room was the perfect size to sleep, rest and keep your things. The breakfast buffet in the hotel was very good and our housekeeper did a great job cleaning the room every day. I would defintely recommend it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
los angeles, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

FIRST IMPRESSION of the hotel is that it caters mainly to business people and families. No backpackers here. It is located on Reforma ave for a good reason though. The lobby is beautiful with a sophisticated feeling to it. The rooms were spacious enough and the beds were very comfortable. The A/C is quite and there are enough cable TV channels to enjoy the stay in the room. There is an iPod hook up, a flat screen TV and a DVD player in each room. The bathroom makes you feel you are staying at a 5 star hotel.

LOCATION: I am not sure how far the hotel is from the Zocalo area and other main attractions because my friends and I took the metro/taxi cabs to get to our destinations. I guess the only close attractions would be the Angel de Independencia and the Monumento a la Revolucion. 'Zona Rosa was a short taxi ride. The closest metro station is a 20 min walk. There are various exchange places and banks near the hotel, so that was very convenient.

SAFETY: Reforma was a very safe part of town, lots of security and lots of cops patrolling at night.

FOOD: I did not try the food in the hotel, so no comments on that.

DRAWBACKS: My only complaint with the hotel would be that during our whole 3 night stay, the Internet was down, that was a big disappointment, especially for a hotel that caters to business people. Also, I would not stay here if you plan to do lots of sightseeing in the Zocalo/Templo Mayor area, there may be better and closer options than Emporio. In my case, we went to different areas every day, so that was not an issue.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

We arrived to the Emporio Reforma at midnight, after almost 24 hrs travelling (Dublin-NY-Mexico). Check-in was super-fast, our car was taken care of immediately (valet parking) and we were tucked in within 15-20 min.
Breakfast next morning (Sunday) was an absolutely wonderful experience, and a great welcome to Mexico! There was live music, local families, fast and courteous service, and amazing food! We had deliberately not booked breakfast in advance in order to check out local eateries, but suffice to say, we had breakfast in the hotel for our whole stay. Don't miss the yummy quesadillas & sopes, and tasty omelettes made to order.
The location of the Emporio is perfect - just at the crossroads with Reforma and Insurgentes - within walking distance from Chapultepec Park & Castle, the best museums, National Auditorium and Zona Rosa & Polanco areas.
The rooms were a bit on the small side... but when you are in a city as incredible as Mexico, with so many things to do and places to see, chances are you won't spend that much time in your room!
Marble bathrooms with all amenities. Good shower.
All in all, a great place to stay in Mexico city!

Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

This Hotel is really good located and the service is superb 24 hours of the day; the staff is super friendly and helpful. They have a nice restaurant in the second floor, and it is a good place to eat if you are a foreigner and don’t know anything about Mexican food. If you have a free time they can arrange a tour by the surroundings. Also, enjoy the DF's nightlife, it is really good!.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We were there for 5 nights. It's a business traveller hotel, but at that price we did not mind at all! Very nice, recently refurbished, excellent service, free internet. Good breakfast buffet, but a bit pricey for our taste. You can walk to the centro historico from there (which we did since we like to walk a lot!) it will take you roughly 20-25 minutes, but you will see intresting attractions on the way!! There are not much restaurants in the area though... Staff is very helping and courteous. I would suggest tough that you check if there are any corporate events the night you are there, if it is the case, ask for a room on an upper floor. We were on 1st floor, there was a corporate event on the ground floor, the bed was shaking and the music very loud, could not sleep at all, it was past midnight... But, 5 minutes after complaining about that, the music stopped and they moved us the day after in a room on the 11th floor (the highest!!). The staff and the manager handeled the situation very well, no complaints about that.

Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

My wife and I spent 3 nights in Mexico City and the Emporio Reforma enroute to Ixtapa, and I have to say it was a highlight of our trip. The location was wonderful as it is central or close to many sites that are worthwhile to visit. In particular the Zona Rosa was a particular delight. A short taxi ride to the Zona Rosa on a warm evening was rewarded by sights and sounds of the city at full tilt.

As we sat at an outside table sipping Bacardi Anjeo we watched life pass by in form of gay and straight couples, street vendors old and young, students, elderly, professional and poor alike, all adding colour and texture to the evening. Great restaurants, pubs, art galleries and full on life in the Zona Rosa makes it a must see during your visit. Don't miss an evening there.

We felt safe during the evening hours in the busy section of the Zona and listening to the selection of music as we walked along was incredible. Everything from head-banging rock and roll to piano bar style and my favourite, a Mariachi Restaurant that was over the top in both drink and music. I can't wait to return, this time bringing my children to the Zona Rosa and the City.

Back to the Emporio...

We had a junior suite and while it had no view to speak of, we were not there to sit by the window so it was not an issue for us. The maid service was fantastic and the room was spotless. Flat screen TV, cable, a sync for the iPods to listen to our tunes and a good bathroom, well supplied and in great condition, (mind you the shower heads were a little low for us, but not a biggie).

The staff throughout the hotel was top notch. The front desk personnel spoke good English and much of the staff did as well. If not god English, it was good enough that between their English and my pidgen Spanish we had no communication issues at all. The restaurant was very good for the two meals we ate there and the service was very, very good. While I seldom sing the praises of hotel food, the Emporio did a very good job of it.

We had a couple of tours booked through staff members, one a city tour with a great taxi driver and another tour of the pyramids and much of the city with a grandfather and his grandson in a very nice Dodge van. Both tours were oragnized by staff of the hotel and my wife is nearly brought to tears as she recounts the days spent with these find folks. For $50.00 including a $10.00 tip the taxi tours us to the Mercado Merced, a very large market in the city and then a tour of other areas ending at the Museum of Anthropology taking 3 hours was a bargain by my measure.

The tour to the Pyramid of the Sun and Moon, the Citadel, a silversmith, an archeological excavation and a tourist trap selling tequila and nick-nacs (fun none the less) and a late lunch cost $100. The entire day was 7 hours and the dupo of the grandfather and grandson gave us history lessons, language lessons ad was a real pleasure to meet and learn from. The pride of country, city and culture was very apparent in them and they both educated and entertained us to the hilt. In the end I gave them $150.00 for their efforts and again, I felt it was a bargain at that.

I have not spent much time in Mexico the last 20 years, preferring Cuba and the southern US instead to spend my vacation dollars. The last trip to Mexico was to Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta and between the ripoff taxis and the constant and overwhelming badgering for timeshares we quit going to Mexico. I must now say that Mexico is back on my to-do list, at least the locations we traveled to this year. The taxis in Mexico City and Ixtapa are both controlled and seemingly regulated ensuring consistent and fair rates and for the most part well mannered drivers and clean and tidy vehicles.

Last year we were at Maui and stayed at a very expensive hotel for a week and while there we were witness to many cockroaches and assorted other critters. Now I expect that in the tropics and they don't concern me, but during the 3 days at the Emporio, we did not see any critters, which is quite a statement in my books. The cleanliness, the staff, the location and the quaint and manageable size of the hotel makes it a winner for me, and I intend to return very soon.

I hold a Hyatt or Sutton in North America to a higher standard than a 4-5 star in Mexico, but having said that the Emporio did measure up and it could give lessons to same hotels I stay in through the year while on buiness in Canada and the US. I do suggest to spring the extra 40 bucks and get a junior suite and if you can get a street from room, so much the better for you. Enjoy the Emporio and tell the staff hello for me!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Emporio Reforma? Share your experiences!