“See the murals and stay a while...” 4 of 5 stars

Mexico City Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #2 of 401 things to do in Mexico City
Activities: Arts and crafts
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic white marble building serves as both the city's top performance hall and an art museum.
San Diego, California
4 attraction reviews
“See the murals and stay a while...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Seeing Diego Rivera's famous mural that was destroyed in Rockefeller Center in 1934. Diego wisely repainted it in the Palacio de Bellas Artes. Other murals by Mexican muralists are worth seeing too and the building itself is quite an interesting piece of primarily Neoclassical and Art Nouveau, with the interior primarily Art Deco style.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
17 attraction reviews
“Disappointing on the day we visited”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Check to see if the murals and upper floors are open for visitors. When we visited, the murals were covered in plastic and no one could go upstairs. The restaurant had a limited and expensive menu.

Visited November 2013
Seattle, Washington
40 attraction reviews
“Nice to People Watch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I walked the 7 blocks from my Hostel to the entrance of the very nice and spacious park. I knew that I was headed in the right direction because you can see the “Golden” rooftop from blocks away. Entering from the backside, I came upon a rather large park with loads of benches to sit and watch the world go by. There is also some cement, circular benches with back-rest if you want to sit and watch the water from the fountains. (Later in the day, I walked back by the fountains and the kids of all ages where having a great time throwing each other into the fountains with their clothing on). I stayed in the park about 30 minutes and then walked over to the Palacio. I was a little mixed up because I thought that the Palacio was an old mansion because of the name. You enter the Palacio through a very wide area filled with more seating and the music-grinders everywhere playing their music. What was nice was that there was not any "merchandise" vendors there. The Palacio is huge. The courtyard is beautiful with 4 large green areas and statues. I went inside. I was a little disappointed because I could not get up to the upper level where the museums were without paying a fee. (It was Saturday). And they only accept cash or American express to see any of the shows. I did visit the bookstore and the gift-shop buying postcards and a beautifully made “journal” before heading back outside to have a sit-down. A note on the stairs inside. They are marble and very slippery, so be extra careful and hold onto the hand-rails. For me the action was outside. People were just standing around the entrance and in the huge courtyard either looking or waiting for someone. This is where the action was. From music vendors to others doing things with Batons and Hula-Hoops. I sat for hours just watching people move about. I was not able to witness the “Folk” dancing due to the lateness of the hour that it was to perform. Overall it is a nice place to visit.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 attraction reviews
“Murals worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have been in the building twice, and really enjoyed the murals by a variety of artists, but have never been able to go inside the auditorium to see the Tiffany curtain, something my partner really wanted to see. First time building under construction, 2nd time we could only go in at a certain time in the afternoon and we had other things to see.

“Go for Muertos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The Palacio featured Day of the Dead altars, performances, and puestos as part of the festivities throughout the City.

Visited November 2013