“An amazingly beautiful hotel with fantastic staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico

You added Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico to your Saves list
Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av 16 de Septiembre 82 | Col. Centro Historico, Mexico City 06000, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 293 Hotels in Mexico City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gothenburg, Sweden
“An amazingly beautiful hotel with fantastic staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Me and my father stayed at this hotel for two nights during our around the world-trip. When you enter the lobby you see the beautiful birds in two cages and the amazing glass roof. Although it's around 100 years old it really looks and feels fresh while keeping the old touch. The room was great with a view of the plaza outside. Even though you could stay here only for the beauty of it you wont be dissapointed with the great staff. Often it's hard to find a person that knows good enough english so that you could ask and have a conversation about some more difficult stuff. Raphael was one of those who knew english well and helped us alot with flight reservations and guiding. A really great guy that goes the distance for every guest!

If you are in Mexico City you really should stay here!

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Since it was my first time to Mexico City, I wanted to book myself a hotel located in central downtown. The hotel photos and information look appealling on the internet. Given such location and promotion room rate at US$95 inclusive of tax (without breakfast) I booked myself this hotel.
Turn out this hotel do meet all my requests. I am happy to recommend to other travellers.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Laguna Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Time flies fast. I sttayed at this hotel 25 years ago. At the time it was a beautiful, mellow place. So, when I came back to DF and stayed in Polanco I decided to extend my stay in Mexico City at this hotel. I took a taxi from Polanco to Zocalo and came to this hotel to arrange a reservation. At the top of the stairs there were 2 men. I told them that I had not been at the hotel 25 years ago and wanted to look around, get some coffee and reserve a room. The man on my right told me that I could not go in. So, I asked for a manager. He pointed to the man on the left of me who confirmed that I could not go in. Both of them spoke good English. They gave me no explanation. Their body language was very hostile. Such attitude is disgusting. Granted, I am from the USA, don't know the "important" people and not a member of the local elite but to deny entrance to someone who wanted to stay at the hotel without any explanation from an American perspective is very offensive. I doubt they even care what someone thinks of their hotel. We can only imagine what would have happened if a Mexican visitor had been denied entrance to any hotel in the USA without an explanation. They would have sued the establishment the following day and it would make the front page news but when we are in Mexico we have to swallow our pride, be quiet and move on.. Regardless, I would never stay there and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Hotel_el_Ejecutivo, Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
We do care about our clients’ feedback and appreciate it, therefore we have created a special department to attend and solve any kind of comments and complaints. Our security team is in charge to keep our guests’ well being 24/7, by no means they pretend to disturb any client or visitor, moreover, they are well welcome to know our historical building and even take photographs inside. Nevertheless, we are going to avoid the possibility it could happen again to anybody.
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Our stay was very fine with a nice and quiet room. We book a last minute opportunity and we pay a little price (70€). The main hall is very nice and the staff helpful.

We went also at the restaurant at the top that has a very nice view. the food was poor quality and the staff very unfriendly. I just advice you to go there to look the view

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I just came back from a long weekend in Mexico city and I stayed at the Gran Hotel in the Zocalo area. This hotel is beautiful and the rooms have everything you may need. The place was a bit noisy because of the location, it is right in the center of town. People come and go to see the beauty of the place. I had to stay in line to get inside so I could go to my room because of all the people trying to see the hotel. The service is not great, the staff at the front desk never knew where anything was in town or how to get to the most common attactions from the hotel. I asked for a beauty salon and a bakery around the hotel, but they didn't know where I could find one, after walking for about 10 minutes I found things a couple of blocks away from the hotel. I think the staff should be familiar with at least the area around the hotel. I don't think I'll be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Hotel_el_Ejecutivo, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Right, therefore we decided to hire a Concierge, whose main job is to provide precise information about the City’s attractions and events, ground transportation, entrance to shows, restaurant reservations, airplane tickets purchase and even arranging tours. Nevertheless, we also try to hire competent staff in all areas and train them correctly. Thanks for the opportunity to let us improve.
Springfield, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

The Gran Hotel has a lot going for it: a stunning lobby, beautiful rooms, and right on the Zocalo (the center of Mexico City). However, the service leaves something to be desired. Each of the 8 days of our stay, we never got the right set of towels (none at all one day). We drink regular coffee, but we only got that the first few days--the rest of the time we got decaffeinated, even though we expressly requested regular. We ended up calling the front desk every day. We had good experiences at breakfast, so we tried the restaurant for dinner. They couldn't find a menu in English, and we found it difficult to decipher the Spanish since the dishes were rather exotic. We ended up leaving and eating elsewhere. Finally, for a hotel of this caliber, they do not have a concierge, and the front desk will not make any calls for guests (at least not for us during our stay).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
We are constantly improving the service thanks to the comments our guests leave. In our restaurants we use two versions of menus (Spanish and English), nowadays we are working on creating one only menu with both languages included to avoid this kind of problems.
It is true that for the moment the hotel does not count with a concierge, nevertheless, currently we are looking for the best person to attend guests’ requests and will get one soon. For the moment, our front desk staff is pleasure to assist you with any kind of request.
Sometimes the high occupation leads us to make some mistakes, and we are working really hard to meet our clients’ satisfaction every day. We improve with every comment and avoid making the same mistake in the future.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

This hotel is bizarre. Great location on the Zocalo, and the rooms were really lovely - clean, with new bathrooms, very comfortable and large. But the restaurants are characterless, with terrible service, bad food, and bad hygene. Stay here if you don't plan on eating in-house.
Also it was very quiet - there was hardly anyone in the lobby or public areas, not necessarily a bad thing, but strange for such a big hotel.
The fitness center was completely dark and unused as far as I could tell. No wifi, but ethernet for free with a cord.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Hotel_el_Ejecutivo, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Lately, we have had radical changes in the management and staff of our restaurants, in order to improve the quality of the food and service. Our restaurants count with high standards of quality in the hygienic management of food, we are certified by SECTUR(Mexico´s ministry of tourism) and count with distinctive "H". We invite people to try out the concerning changes we have made, plus the unique view we have always have of the “Zócalo” (the city centre).
One of the many services we provide is the free use of High Speed Internet in every corner of the hotel (Wi-Fi and wire connection).

Been to Gran Hotel Ciudad de Mexico? Share your experiences!