“My Home Away from Home in Mexico City” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 97 Mexico City B&B and Inns
British Columbia, Canada
“My Home Away from Home in Mexico City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My friends here in Canada are often surprised when I tell them that I really like visiting Mexico City. "Isn't it dangerous?" and "How can you enjoy a city that big?" are common questions. The answer that I give is "Mexico City has so many amazing places to see and things to do. Just stay at the right place when you're there. You'll feel safe and you'll have a great time." That right place is the Dakota Bed and Breakfast.

My recent stay at the Dakota once again verified my assertion: This is the right place to stay when you're in Mexico City. I say this for 3 reasons: the location, the hotel facilities and the owners: Max and Ruth.

First, the location: Colonia Nápoles is a great location . . . it's a very safe and pleasant neighborhood. There are lots of great restaurants and cafes nearby and a charming little parque just around the corner. You also have easy access to the Metrobus on Insurgentes Ave. only a few minutes walk from the hotel. The Metro is a quick, easy and cheap way to get around . . . only 6 pesos gets you to a lot of great places!

Second, the hotel: A couple of years ago the Dakota moved to its present location on Milwaukee. This was my first time staying at this latest incarnation of the Dakota. I loved it! Very comfortable and spacious rooms . . . each with its own bathroom. A charming little patio garden for coffee and e-mails. Each morning a delicious Mexican deysayuno. The good taste and thoughtfulness of the owners is evident everywhere.

Third, the owners: Max and Ruth . . . without a doubt two of the most sincerely gracious and hospitable people I have ever met. And also the reason my experiences in Mexico City have been so pleasant and positive. Each morning Max would sit with me after breakfast and help me plan my day . . . complete with suggestions, maps, Metro card . . . in English or Spanish.

After several stays at the Dakota I now have an appreciation for Mexico City that is a reflection of the love Max and Ruth have for their hometown. Thanks to both of you for not only giving me a comfortable and affordable place to lay my head but also for helping me to have such wonderful experiences in Mexico City!

Room Tip: I stayed on the main floor . . . at the back near the little garden. Perfect!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Throw all of your tour books away. Max, a native of Mexico City, knows more about Mexico City than all of those books combined and will enthusiastically share his knowledge with you. He helped me plan trips, gave me maps, made suggestions of what to see and where to eat, and answered all of my questions. He's really a wonderful host! He even lent me his own Metrobus card (which he certainly did not have to do; it was incredibly generous). The rooms are very comfortable and quiet (and include a safe), the breakfasts are delicious, and the neighborhood is lovely, safe, and close to lots of things. I would definitely recommend this B & B to others and plan to stay again when I return to Mexico City.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have had many positive B&B experiences in my time, but this may top them all. We had two lovely (and clean) rooms between the four or us, with a shared private courtyard (and a very charming garden to one side). Hard to think of any improvements. At first we thought the beds were hard, but after a side tip (lodging at three other places), we realized that by the standards of the area, the beds were probably above average (nice mattress toppers). The only suggestion I can come up with is to allow for the little bathroom "vent windows" to be closeable, so that bathroom noise doesn't have to be shared with those on the patio. :)

The location is awesome. Safe feeling (we did a lot of late night walking), near restaurants and parks, and just far enough from Insurgentes (bus line).

Max was absolutely amazing. Soooo accommodating, both before and during our stay (three nights). He helped us plan *everything*, including walking tours, side trips, bus and taxi rides, touristy stuff (crowd avoidance, saving money,etc.). He arranged transportation for us on several occasions. Breakfasts were hearty and tasty; Max went thru extra effort to accommodate dietary restrictions. I hate to admit it, but, but we were high maintenance tourists, and demanded a *lot* of Max's time. I'm sure he had other things to do, but Max showed nothing but patience and good humor with us throughout our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed at Dakota B&B for three nights and it was an ideal choice for our stay. We wanted simple, clean, safe accommodation and that is exactly what we got.

Max, our host, was fantastic. He was so helpful and pretty much organised our entire trip for us. We hadn't done much research and he gave us all the tips and information we needed to ensure we had a fantastic three days in this wonderful city.

Our room was spotlessly clean and the patio area outside the room was lovely.

The B&B is ideally located for getting aroudn the city with great transport links and a great choice of restaurants etc.

The breakfast was also excellent.

We would definitely recommend this lovely B&B!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Yelm, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I just spent a week at the Dakota Bed and Breakfast and I want to highly recommend it to anyone wishing a pleasant, safe, clean, welcoming stay in Mexico City. Max and his wife are the most charming of hosts, serving varied and carefully prepared breakfasts. Their attention to detail is exemplary, the rooms are spotless, well furnished with TV, Wi-Fi and heaters. The neighborhood is extremely safe, well connected (the Metro-Bus is just five minutes away) and great for leisurely walks. Max's love for the city can provide a wealth of recommendations, tips and advice for even the most seasoned connoisseur of Mexico City. The guests were equally friendly, well traveled and easy to get along with. What can I say, even their little dogs are friendly!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jiquilpan de Juarez, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I was in early September 2013, for 3 nights for my second time, the place its in a new street with more stores and places to go. Max the owner is very lively and gives you many tips, the hostel includes a breakfast, the room has LCD tv, iron, work desk, heater, sofa, a nice bed , nice bathroom etc. Near to the metrobus, WTC, the main streets with the main restaurants,bars, coffees, bakeries, shops etc! Max even has umbrellas if you need them! Next year ill be there!! Thanks Max enjoy the gold winner Libertadores robust porter beer!! See you then!!

Room Tip: Any room is great!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I've just moved to Mexico City, and stayed at Dakota B&B for a week. I'm really glad I chose this B&B. Max, the owner, is simply awesome: he knows everything about Mexico City and he's always willing to help, at pretty much any time of the day. The B&B is very well located; the area is safe, well served by public transport,not far from the center and full of restaurants, shops etc... I really enjoyed the breakfast too, as it varies every day and you get a good sense of what a Mexican breakfast is like. (It's not the standard hotel buffet breakfast, but it's good, filling and no food gets wasted...). The room was cleaned almost every day (except I think for the first day), and was always left in perfect conditions.

There was a minor issue with my single room: it's not well ventilated, so it will get pretty humid after a shower. Apart from that, everything was perfect. Will definitely recommend it to family/friends!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Dakota Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!