“Reforma location, with good price and garden retreat, but dated.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Maria Cristina
Rio Lerma No. 31 | Colonia Cuauhtemoc, Mexico City 06500, Mexico   |
Ranked #94 of 282 hotels in Mexico City
amsterdam, netherlands
“Reforma location, with good price and garden retreat, but dated.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We chose this hotel for the garden, wanting a haven from MC. We also chose a master suite with private terrace. Overall it was a good experience but I would hesitate to return. It was quiet, in late April, but our private terrace was not private, shared with 3 other master suites with only 3 chairs. First night we had 5 Venezuelan women next door, one totally mad and drunk, next two nights luckily no one. But, it is not a private terrace. Without the mad Venezuelans, we had, on saturday evening until 7pm, something like a Mex business school marketing class next to our private terrace, with 15 participants, on Sunday a large Mexican family noisily playing with children until late afternoon, neither were guests of the hotel but did noisily take over the garden.
Suite was exceptionally large, with dated 1960s furniture, all in immaculate condition. We did chill out a bit, and there are some convenient restaurants nearby, and the hotel introduced us to Pedro, who was a great taxi guide for a couple of days.
So overall Ok, but read the reviews carefully!!!

• Stayed April 2013

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

this was our second stay in the Maria Cristina and it was very pleasant as usual. The location is great and staff are very accommodating. Pleasant courtyard bar for relaxing. clean and comfortable rooms. zona rosa two block away and because its in the us embassy area the neighborhood is very secure.

Room Tip: any room on the courtyard is good, but upper floors best. avoid rooms on the street due to noise...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
South Egremont, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and found it quite adequate in its decore and service. The rooms are dated and the restaurant is ok.
It appears to be a businessman type hotel. The rates are very reasonable for a downtown city hotel but the location is excellent for walking to Zona Rosa. It is also very close to many key sites like Chaultepec Castellanos and Park, archeological museum and museum of modern art. N
Short cab ride to Zocolo and Belas Artes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I first stayed in this reasonably-priced hotel in the 1980's, returned in 2003, and then stayed there repeatedly on business trips in 2009-2012. It is conveniently located -- a block off Reforma, a short distance west of Insurgentes and not far from the U.S. and British embassies. It is also near a mall (with Samborns, Starbucks, Chili's, etc.) some excellent restaurants and the French Cordon Bleu cooking school restaurant. Rooms are old-fashioned but comfortable. The "deluxe" rooms cost just a little more, are sunny, quiet and look out from the back of the lovely garden. It's hard to believe one is in the center of Mexico City. The food is below average, though breakfasts are fine. (There is also a great sandwich and pastry shop just down the street (left) and fresh juice vendors near-by). The bar and outdoor garden are very pleasant. and the hotel, with its rose-colored walls, Mexican tiles, gardens and leather chairs makes you know you are in Mexico. Very unlike the ubiquitous chain hotels.

Room Tip: The "deluxe" rooms cost just a little more, are sunny, quiet and look out on the lovely ga...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I didn't plan for María Cristina Hotel and the hotel was booked by an friend from the US that said it was nice. The hotel is well located in a buisness area, very awake during the day but rather dark and dull by night (or early night). The hotel is close to a strip with want to be upscale restaurants on Rio Lerma and two blocks away from a massive mall called "Reforma 222", its also very close to the U.S. Embassy... The lobby and facade of the building are pretty and quite nice, unfortunately the rooms while functional, are rather dark, small, not very well equiped, oldish and lack wifi connection unless you pay a very high fee for each device you want to connect, which means having your iphone connected costs 80 mexican pesos the day, an iphone and a laptop costs 160 pesos the day - if you need to "connect" online you'd be better off going to another hotel. An extra feature was the fact that when emptying the tub after a bath, the bathroom suddenly flooded and days after the toilet got clogged just for flushing toilet paper. Breakfast is not included and is not really worth it, and service at the front desk is OK for buisness info but bad for giving travel tips...People at the front desk are not necessarily friendly...

Room Tip: Try to ask for a quiet room, I got one close to a club and it got noisy by night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband had stayed here before and described it as a time capsule. I had my doubts, because my tolerance for funk-factor is lower than his, but I enjoyed our stay (12 days). We stayed in one of the older rooms overlooking the courtyard. It was small but clean and the bed was nice and firm. The food in the restaurant was OK if not great, but reasonably priced. The staff was friendly, and it was easy to organize day trips with the taxistas outside.

Mexico City is a very stimulating place, and it was nice to have a quiet relaxing place to retreat to at the end of the day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had a particularly bad experience at this hotel. All was good with the stay -- booked 2 nights. After the first night, me and my friend who was staying with me was out all day for a tour. When we got back in the evening, it was late, and we went straight to bed.

We were checking out the next day, and upon packing, we realized that my iPod which I had left charging on the main table was missing. We immediately spoke to the hotel, and while the manager at the desk could speak English, he was not sympathetic at all. I later had a Spanish speaking friend come over and speak to him, and the whole time, he continued to just speak to my friend and say to him that they have staff there that have been working there for years who can be trusted.

By this point, I was getting emotional as I had a flight to catch and the iPod wasn't even mine in the first place (it was my boyfriend's) and they continued to ignore me, and speak to my friend in Spanish. They then wanted to go through my bags to make sure I wasn't lying (fair enough) but nobody would look me in the eye the whole time and in fact, looked angry with me as though this was all my fault.

We then had to leave because we had to catch our flight and they said my friend who stays in Mexico City could speak to the GM if "he wanted to" and they then proceeded to lead my friend around a merry go round communication with someone who was never the GM in the first place for a week. They then said they wanted to go through records for who entered my room and the report showed that housecleaning went in an out, and also water was delivered to the room on the day we were out touring, which is funny because we never had water in the room when we got back and had to buy bottled water. Regardless, after checking data of who went in and out of my room, they came back again with their staff can be trusted, and there is nothing they can do. No hospitality service nothing, won't communicate with me or my friend or look at me in the eye when I was there. I just want to warn everyone, while I know these things can happen, this hotel is not professional at all about anything (to be honest even our checking in experience was with a lady who seemed very unhappy), and your belongings are at risk in this place.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. That's my tip -- too expensive for bad service and staff who could ste...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hotel Maria Cristina? Share your experiences!