“You Can’t Go Wrong” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marquis Reforma Hotel

You added Marquis Reforma Hotel to your Saves list
Marquis Reforma Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de la Reforma 465 | Col. Cuauhtémoc, Mexico City 06500, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 297 Hotels in Mexico City
Santa Ana, California
“You Can’t Go Wrong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We found this to be an excellent hotel. The staff was very attentive and professional, and it seemed like anyone who deals with the public spoke both Spanish and English (which is nice for travelers who only speak English). When checking in, our room wasn’t ready so they upgraded us to a suite (without us having to ask), a very nice gesture. The lobby of the hotel was very modern and upscale. It will not disappoint you.

The suite was well appointed and good sized. The bedroom was separated by a sliding door from the living room. All the furniture was newer and in excellent condition. We had a great view of the city and traffic noise below was not a bother (we never heard anything outside, other than the occasional helicopter). The bed was comfortable (although on the firm side which I like), and the bedding was like new. The bathroom was kind of small, but not a bother, and was very clean and well kept. The towels were pretty big and soft, too.

We purchased the option that included wi-fi and breakfast each morning, which I encourage you to do (wi-fi isn’t free here, and the pre-paid option works out to be a better deal). The breakfasts were a buffet with a great selection. It was pretty good, no complaints. We ate at all the restaurants on the property, and Nicksan, their Mexican/Japanese fusion restaurant was fantastic.

Located in the reforma area of Mexico City, the hotel is centrally located in a VERY safe area. There are plenty of local little places to eat along with a bunch of little mini-marts for sodas and snacks (don’t hit the in-room minibar, too expensive). You will find a cab stand a block down the street from the hotel, and the bus stops (including the Turibus) is just across the street in front of the hotel. Easy-peasy to get around.

A cab ride from the airport in a nice Suburban is 350 pesos (about $28 US). Same cost going back to the airport in the same nice SUV (have the hotel hail the cab for you going to the airport. The cost of the cabs going elsewhere is more than you’ll pay at the cab stand). Use the cab stand down the street to get everywhere else, unless you are walking to the museums, zoo, etc. which is a 15 minute walk close.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
MexicoMonica, General Manager at Marquis Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your positive comments regarding your stay in our hotel.

The hotel is always innovating and updating in all of our areas in order to provide a quality service in our rooms and restaurants.

We are glad you enjoyed our services and that you had the time to visit our restaurants.

We hope to welcome you back in the future and that you can once again have a wonderful experience, I hope you can visit our SPA it´s the best in the city.

We always have special rates like the one you booked with internet access and breakfast included.

In the future please don´t hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel is right in the heart of the downtown Reforma area. The room quality was excellent (was upgraded to a suite, which was very nice). Attended a conference there, and the setting was very nice, and easy to attend. The staff was courteous and alert to your needs; a late check-out was not a problem, and they found you a taxi quickly. Only drawback might be that many of the more popular restaurants for business dinners are in the immediate vicinity, but are a 10-15 minute taxi ride. But the location is central, so you are equidistant from almost all areas that you need to go for business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
MexicoMonica, Manager at Marquis Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Ms. Debbie

Thank you again for sharing your experience at Marquis Reforma.

I´m glad you got the chance to be upgraded to a Junior Suite and really hope you found it confortable. We always want to make you feel at home so we constantly strive to meet your needs and expectations.

As a business traveler your comments are very important to us do to our location and services.

We really hope to have you back in the future.

sao paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I think this hotel is one of the best choices to stay in Mexico City because the rooms are big and conformable the staff is nice, the location is also good,the breakfast is really great there also `lunch food` in the breakfast.The Japanese restaurant inside the hotel is really great,where you can taste a lot of different things... The Wi-fi is not free but it`s not too expensive... I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ms. Micaella

We really apreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience at Marquis Reforma.

I´m glad you enjoyed our restaurants and that you also had the time to visit our newest Japanese restaurant Nick San.

We always want to make you feel at home so we constantly strive to meet your needs and excpectations,

Thank you again for sharing your commets and we hope to have you back soon.

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I keep returning to this hotel based in their service, attention to details and they always remember me. Location is ideal, easier to get Anywhere in the city from here. I always arrange private transportation and every time it is perfect, affordable, reliable and secure. I recommend staying here while on business in Mexico City.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
MexicoMonica, General Manager at Marquis Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Mr. Ashton

We appreciate your comments and your positive recomendations.

We hope to welcome you soon in your next visit, always exceding your expectations and needs.

Thank your for your preference.

Best regards,

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Rooms are very clean and super large.... every room is a real suite!
nice options of restaurants on site, from mexican style to japanese food that I love!!
gorgeous and good breakfast.
kind service.... what can I add. I always book my nights there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
MexicoMonica, General Manager at Marquis Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Maurizio

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to the SPA at Marquis Reforma, we will share your experience comments with our staff members.

We appreciate your positive feedback and would like to welcome you again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at Marquis Reforma for 8 nights in March 2013, and I must say it was really enjoyable with only a few minor things that I wish were better.

Firstly, the hotel is a good hotel in a great place in Zona Rosa (the Pink Zone, not to be confused with any Red Light Districts you might have back home) which is a safe area in town.

The hotel has a safe airport/hotel transfer which during our stay used comfortable sedans for both pick up and return to the airport. Took us around 30 minutes from an 11:14pm arrival, and about 16minutes leaving from 6am in the morning to the airport. During the day... well, Mexico City traffic is notorious, I would consider allowing 1hr plus. Tip: recommend early/late flight arrival and departures :)

For Australians, I would say this felt like a big Mantra Hotel chain. For everyone else, expect a very night hotel that is not massive compared to a Sheraton, Hilton or similar... but still carries great services like an active concierge, staffed front desk, a couple of restaurants, a business centre, spa, pool, gym, and a lobby bar.

The room we had was great, split into a sleeping room and a lounge area, seperated by a wooden sliding door with opaque squared glass. The furniture and carpet was clean, but perhaps a little dated in my view kind of circa 1980s.

You can walk out from Marquis Reforma and find any safe taxi off the street (look for a picture and certificate of the driver stuck on the passenger window , and compare the picture to the driver), and all we had to do was ask for "TAXIMETRO?" to confirm they would use a meter. Lastly, look for a flashing "LIBRE" but stick your hand out anyway, because I think some of the time the taxi drivers forget to press the "I'm vacant" button from their dashboard.

Getting to Polanca from Marquis Reforma was costing us around 35-60 pesos. The expensive end was during a 2am drive home, so we were probably paying night rate and a little extra because we weren't exactly going to walk home! One taxi driver wanted 180 pesos. From the Historic Centre (Centro Historico) around the same cost.

Last thing on the taxis... if you take one organized by concierge be prepared to be pay a premium, I hesitate to say "ripped off" because you are guaranteed a safe, comfortable sedan in most cases. If they holler you a standard taxi, then I think it is better to pay metered rates than pre-organized.

When you get out of the lobby, if you walk right you can get to some museum area and parks within 10-15minutes. If you walk left (and eventually cross the road) and go straight, you eventually come to Reforma 222 ( Reforma dos-cientos veinte dos) which is a mall area and there's a couple of good coffee places nearby that have wifi, like Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

Within walking distance between Marquis and the Mall area, you can find some great little antique places where you can barter, and some tourist and local mexican "holes in the walls"... just ask concierge to show you on a map. On weekends (I think Sundays) they shut off the road for fitness, where Mexico City people could walk, bike ride and enjoy a Zumba-like class. It was fun to watch, and people looked content. Was a nice people-experience.

The Japanese Restaurant in Marquis served top food, we ate their twice. Great wine selection, fresh foods served impeccably on the plate. Try the mexican rose, which was not too sweet and went well with our food choices We also ate breakfast at the other ground-level restaurant which served a nice array of western continental breakfast and mexican food. Service was great.

The bar in the lobby was open until around midnight to 1am most nights. During the earlier (quieter) part of the week it was not serviced by any live music but that was OK since our group enjoyed meeting their to talk. The bar staff were attentive, usually friendly, and spoke reasonable english.

We had a blockage in our bathroom one night, and maintenance came up within 5minutes which for me was a great response time. Room service was friendly, and food was quite good.

Bed was comfortable, and housekeeping came to turnover every night. Housekeeping did a great job all around.

The bad:
1. Other colleagues staying at the hotel used pre-paid taxis from the airport and felt safe. We paid about 2-3 times more for this transfer than going by pre-paid taxi. (750 pesos for hotel pickup only, 1050 + tax for pickup and return).
2. We upgraded the hotel room while still in my home country, and i was paying at least 30% and in one case 50% more than my colleagues. However, after viewing the rooms of my colleagues, they were given the same rooms and same service! Therefore I don't rate the VIP room offer they have.
3. 2 charges on my mini bar which were not ours, but the hotel reversed the mistake.
4. 1 lady on reception who was very disinterested in helping foreigners (feedback provided by several other guests also staying from Australia, America and Mexico itself!) Most other staff were lovely as mentioned. There's always 1 bad egg I suppose!

My number 1 "negative" was being charged 3 separate authorizations on my credit card of over 3000 AUD dollars!!! Our final bill was less than that. I can't remember staying at a hotel where they did this.

Having said all this, I thought this hotel was very nice and surely would not disappoint many people unless you want leather sofas and plush interiors in the room. For sure, the lobby is your typical marble floor, and there is nice art around the lobby area.

Personally, I will probably explore other options on my next trip to Mexico City, but if they are more than 20-25% expensive than Marquis Reforma then I will probably stay here again. Very suitable for a first time stay in Mexico City for play or business.

Room Tip: Just take note of your mini-bar usage!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank nigelhedges
Dear Mr. Hedges

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Marquis Reforma.

We appreciate both your positive feedback and your concerns. I´m sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding the transportation service and front desk staff.

At Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

Falls Church, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I saw the Lobby I was impressed: elegant, spacious, well decorated, friendly welcome, smiling staff. We stayed for a week so my comments are not applicable to one day only.
The room was not very spacious, we had to take turns to pass between the beds to the bathroom, which was very well lit and equipped. The problems started when we realized that we had no phone connection and then our friends personally informed us that when trying to call us by phone on several occasions the operator said we were not staying there! The calls were not coming in and after several complaints they sent someone to the room just to discover that the telephone was not properly wired! The technician left the pliers in our room which were never picked up! The staff is very polite but the hotel maintenance leaves much to be desired. As for the taxi service, if you ask one from the hotel they will charge you and arm and a leg for any city destination. We chose to walk and get a taxi from the street. No, we will not stay there again.
irWe

Room Tip: We had a room facing the back of another building. Never got sun in the room. When asked for another...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank GloriaSilvestre
Dear. Ms. Silvestre

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa.

We appreciate both your positive feedback and your concerns. I´m sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding technical service and transportation as well.

We continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us, and we will work to improve the points you mentioned, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.