“VERY ELEGANT but....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marquis Reforma Hotel

Save Saved
You added Marquis Reforma Hotel to your Saves list
Marquis Reforma Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de la Reforma 465 | Col. Cuauhtémoc, Mexico City 06500, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 280 hotels in Mexico City
Falls Church, Virginia
“VERY ELEGANT but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When I saw the Lobby I was impressed: elegant, spacious, well decorated, friendly welcome, smiling staff. We stayed for a week so my comments are not applicable to one day only.
The room was not very spacious, we had to take turns to pass between the beds to the bathroom, which was very well lit and equipped. The problems started when we realized that we had no phone connection and then our friends personally informed us that when trying to call us by phone on several occasions the operator said we were not staying there! The calls were not coming in and after several complaints they sent someone to the room just to discover that the telephone was not properly wired! The technician left the pliers in our room which were never picked up! The staff is very polite but the hotel maintenance leaves much to be desired. As for the taxi service, if you ask one from the hotel they will charge you and arm and a leg for any city destination. We chose to walk and get a taxi from the street. No, we will not stay there again.
irWe

Room Tip: We had a room facing the back of another building. Never got sun in the room. When asked for another...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MexicoMonica, General Manager at Marquis Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear. Ms. Silvestre

We appreciate both your positive feedback and your concerns. I´m sorry we did not meet your expectations regarding technical service and transportation as well.

We continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us, and we will work to improve the points you mentioned, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed Feb 28-6 Mar. Staff was very pleasant, room was nice, breakfast had lots of fresh fruits/variety of juices which I like. The fitness center is very well equipped but it is not opened 24 hours. In the morning the fitness center does not open until 6 AM which made it hard for business travelers like us that had to be ready to go by 7:00 to 7:30 in the morning. The spa is very luxirious and clean. I had a deep tissue massage with Graciela and she was outstanding. If going to the spa for treatment, allow yourself at least 1 hour before hand to use the jacuzzis, steam room, etc--well worth your time. I did not bring my bathing suit with me on this trip and they provided me wth a disposable type 2 piece that worked fine in the jacuzzis and steam room. Thye also offer to their customers healthy fresh juices--they were delicious. I also had a cleansing facial but I enjoyed the deep tissue massage the best (especially after a day of going up the Pyramid of the Sun and a lot of walking).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay at Marquis Reforma and your visit to the SPA, we will share your experience comments with our staff members.

We will send your request about opening hours to the SPA so that business travelers can enjoy the Fitness Centre and SPA services early in the morning.

We appreciate your positive feedback and would like to welcome you again soon.

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The attention was very good as well as the massage and the facial. As it was my birthday, they brought me a cake to celebrate. I was very delighted. I enjoyed a lot being in the sauna and the jacuzzi as well.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ms. Lizzie

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to the SPA at Marquis Reforma, we will share your experience comments with our staff members.

We appreciate your positive feedback and would like to welcome you again soon.

canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Marquis is an average hotel that is doing everything right but I can't say it's excellent or outstanding. Nothing is exceptional, nothing is bad.

When you ask for cab, make sure you ask for a city cab. There is a stand around the corner that they will hail by default. These cabs are "bilingual" cabs that you will pay a premium for. For example, it cost 232 pesos to take an airport cab to the hotel. The "bilingual" cab took me to Polanco and it cost 200 pesos. I could of walked, and indeed did back to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear. Guest

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Marquis Reforma. I am sorry that your experience was not excellent or outstanding as hoped.

Regarding your comments about the city cabs and transportation service, in Marquis Reforma it is important to let you know that we care much about our guests’ security and comfort and our Concierge department can always offer transportation service not only to the airport and back, but to any place you´d like to visit, and you can be sure it is safe.

We continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Chicago, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

During the last 18 years we;ve stayed at the Marques on about half of our annual visits. That we keep coming back tells you that we are pleased with this rather expensive ($250us/night)hotel.
It's well located, on Reforma near The Zona Rosa and Polanco for shopping and a block from
Chapultepec park's museums. Inspiite of it's overstyled building, the lobby is pleasant and the ground floor "Cannaries Restaurant" is bright, sunny and delightful. Much nicer then the second floor breakfast buffett room. Rooms are smallish but have large flat screen tv's and windows overlooking Reforma's fountains and parkway.
The staff is efficient and attentive but we've noticed that during the last few years, with less English speaking tourist visiting Mexico, they are loosing their English.
We'll keep coming back to The Marques even though there are better hotel values, but the feeling of security ,convienience and friendliness makes the extra cost worthwhile.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Marquis Reforma, we appreciate your feedback and would like to meet your expectation on your next visit.

We are constantly working with our Staff to improve the service and your comments are very helpful for us, please be sure that we will take measures regarding their English and acknowledge our staff in order to provide quality service.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at the Marquis for four nights (Feb6-9, 2013). The lobby is not quite so big but very impressive and nicely decorated. The staff is very helpful and polite. I was upgraded to a corporate suite with three separate rooms... it was huge. I wish my family was traveling with me to avail the extra space :)

All the usual amenities were provided.

I ate at the two restaurants in the hotel (A Mexican and the Japanese). Both were excellent, however, I loved the service and food at the Japanese. The food was pretty good at the Mexican restaurant, however, it was really hard to communicate in English with the staff, on Saturday night they messed up my order.. but it was not such a big deal.... and they offered to rectify the situation.

The location is pretty good, right close to the famous monuments on Reforma Ave, however, not as many things to do as Polanco, but the museum and zoo are nearby on one end of the Reforma. Zona Rosa and the 222 Reforma mall is on the other side. Both are within walking distance.

Not a lot to complain about the Hotel and the service during my trip, I mentioned the issues upon checkout, and was assured that someone will take a look at these:

- Jacuzzi was out of commission on night#1, called the front-desk and was told they have no clue how to make it work. Called again on night#2 and it was fixed.
- When booking; the website mentioned a daily basket of fresh fruit, this was never delivered during the four nights.... not such a big deal, but shows that there is a lack of attention to details...similarly, I had to mention to the staff upon check-in that my booking rate included breakfast and free internet (saved a copy of the webpage on my phone), the system showed neither but once I showed them the saved page, the two items were promptly added. On a plus side the rate included a 1mbps internet service, but I signed up for the 3mbps and was not charged the difference upon checkout.
- The buffet breakfast service was extremely busy on Friday morning, waited 15 minutes to get a bar stool, and no one came around to serve coffee even after 30 mins of waiting, most of the buffet items were no where to be found and dishes were empty... wasn't too impressed. Other than that one day the buffet was really nice with lots of local fresh fruit options (Guava, Chico/zapota, figs, pineapple, blackberries, cantaloupe, papaya, etc.).

Room Tip: I stayed in room 920 (corporate suite) on the 9th floor. If you're travelling with kids, ask for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Syntron

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Marquis Reforma. Our Guests´ feedback is always important to us.

I will share your comments with our team regarding you experiences with the buffet breakfast at the restaurant making special remarks in the timing and quality of the service.

We will also work on the attention you receive when having trouble with anything in your room, like the Jacuzzi not working well.

About the information confirmed in the web page regarding the internet access and Breakfast included in your rate, we will take the appropriate measures and prevent any future occurrences.

Angelica Vollalobos
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed at Marquis Reform in Mexico City (Mexico D.F.) for six nights in February, and are very pleased with the hotel. Our main criteria were location (we were in D.F. for vacation) and room quality, and neither disappointed in any way.

Our room was nicely furnished and appeared to be recently updated. Everything was very well maintained and spotless - no cracks in the walls, peeling wallpaper, or tired furniture at all. It was substantial enough to move around freely without tripping over furniture and each other, and there was a large closet to store suitcases and clothes out of the way. The bed was a king, with comfortably firm and supportive mattress and pillows. The bathroom was large and well appointed, and the shower had good, solid water pressure. The one odd thing about the bathroom is that the tub/shower is raised slightly from the floor, and the tub itself is rather deep, so getting out requires some degree of flexibility, balance, and strong knees. The room had a mini-bar/small fridge, and there is a bit of room to store food if you bring something back to the hotel. It was rather hot in D.F. during the day and the air conditioning in our room worked okay, as long as we made sure it was on before we went out for dinner. We left a note for housekeeping not to turn it off or down, because the first night was uncomfortably warm, and it took a good two hours for the air to really cool. Unfortunately we didn't have a view onto the boulevard, but the upside is that the room was very quiet and relaxing.

The lobby and public areas are nicely designed and well maintained, and the lobby bar and adjacent restaurants have been updated. There are still touches of the original tacky late-80's baroque here and there, and the large fountain in the lobby has to be seen to be believed. I'll just leave it at that. But it was nice to walk into after full day in the city.

Front desk staff and the three concierges we interacted with provided perfect professional service, and all spoke fluent English, which I am grateful for because my Spanish is survival-level at best. The hotel is well staffed and the service is expedient, gracious and highly professional. Housekeeping service is excellent and the daily turndown service is a nice touch. We did not use the gym or spa, so I can't comment on either.

Watch for the cost of the extras. WiFi is expensive - 200 pesos for 24 hours, but we did at least find the connection for our phones to be solid, with fast download times. You are provided two small complimentary bottles of water per day, but the larger bottles are expensive - one was 97 pesos. For bottled water. For comparison, you can buy six large bottles of water from local stores two blocks away for under 100 pesos.

There are several restaurants in the hotel. The breakfast buffets looked good, but they are expensive, so we opted local cafes in the neighborhood for coffee and a small breakfast in the morning (there's a great little cafe, La Cicciolina, a couple of blocks away on Rio Nilo just off Reforma - turn left from Reforma and look for the bright red chairs). We only had one meal at the hotel, at Los Canarios, on the lobby level. The restaurant itself is gorgeous, with large windows opening right onto the boulevard, and it was filled with exquisitely dressed local beautiful people having long lunches. While the service was excellent, the food was very disappointing compared to our other meals in D.F., and also expensive. I think the intent was nouveau-Mexican-fusion, but the three items we had were bland, over-cooked and overly oily. My feeling is that are way too many good restaurants in the city to warrant eating here, unless you go for the lunch-time atmosphere.

Location is a huge plus with this hotel. Located at the western end of Paseo de la Reforma, the hotel is on a major boulevard with easy access to various parts of D.F. The neighborhood is very safe and the boulevard is busy until the early morning hours. Within two blocks there are banks/ATM machines, cafes, pharmacies and small convenience stores where you can stock up on bottled water for a fraction of the cost that the hotel would charge. The Sevilla metro station is about six blocks south on Avenida Chapultepec. Beautiful Chapultepec Park is about 2-3 blocks west, with Chapultepec Castle, the modern art museum and Tamayo museum within walking distance. Polanco is a short cab ride away. Zona Rosa is immediately east along the boulevard, and it's about a ten-minute walk to Amberes, the hub of the city's gay nightlife. We walked to Condesa twice, about 20 minutes to restaurant central at the junction of Tamaulipas, Michoacan and Atlixco. We wandered all over the area until late evening, and never felt unsafe.

All in all, we had a really nice stay at Marquis Reforma and felt it was great for the cost. The room and the location were perfect for us, and provided a good rest from the city when we needed it. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a street-side room for a view of the boulevard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MexicoMonica, General Manager at Marquis Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations in our restaurant.

At Marquis Reforma Hotel & Spa, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent any future occurrences.

avillalobos@marquisreformahl.com.mx

Been to Marquis Reforma Hotel? Share your experiences!