“Basic but decent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fiesta Americana Reforma

You added Fiesta Americana Reforma to your Saves list
Fiesta Americana Reforma
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Paseo de la Reforma 80 | Colonia Juárez, Mexico City 06600, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #60 of 287 Hotels in Mexico City
Sacramento, California
“Basic but decent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night to tour the area for a day prior to flying out of Mexico City International Airport. Our stay was comfortable, though I wouldn't recommend staying here for more than a few days. There is a LOT of traffic in the area. We were on the 8th floor and the street noise is intense until the wee hours of the morning. Anyone who knows Mexico knows that drivers there love to use their car horns. We heard a lot of honking and sirens. Aside from the street noise, the toilets are extremely loud. We were jolted awake several times around 6 AM by someone in the next room flushing their toilet. The room was comfortable though for an extended stay, it could get tight after a while. The bathroom was too small for 2 people to be in it at the same time. The hotel provides the usual amenities, but I would suggest to them possibly changing soaps. The bar soap reminded me of a doughnut smell, which some people may find charming, but there are far more pleasant scents to be using. I would stay here again for a night or 2, but any more than that, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MANUEL G, Director General at Fiesta Americana Reforma, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience staying at our hotel. Your comments are highly important to us.
We are currently developing a final design to make general modifications in our rooms.
I would also like to inform you that were changed some in-room amenities such as shampoo and bath soap

Warmest Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went on a business trip to the Fiesta Americana Reforma. I don't recommend for leisure, as the area is really busy with terrible traffic. I don't even recall if the hotel had a pool. The rooms were clean but the bathrooms were really tight. It was like a NY studio bathroom, not what I want for a hotel.. The wifi is free (this was not the case at the camino real in polanco mexico city where I have also stayed for business) The wifi also stopped working midway so I had to speak to the concierge to get it fixed, however they were very courteous and gave me a new code with no hassle- unlike Camino Real. The staff is very friendly. The hotel is not so grand, it's a little cramped. The view from my room was great, especially since I was high up. There was a hotel lounge area with various snacks and they offered wine but this was if you upgraded or paid for that service..The buffet for breakfast was terrible. The fruits were bland and also I don't mind mexican fare like the breakfast nachos and Huevos rancheros but they could have incorporated more american things like Bacon or Home fries seeing as how many americans travel for business such as myself. The restaurant on the third floor had really good food, I recommend the red snapper I had. The spicy ceviche was okay but the seafood was rubbery, service was really slow and we were one of the first people there for dinner service. Overall I recommend for business as the main purpose is to have a clean room and friendly service but I think it lacks pizzazz for a leisure trip and I would have liked it if the building itself, elevator and rooms didn't feel so cramped.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Chihuahua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Mixed pleasure with Business. The hotel is great, the staff is very helpful and friendly. Be sure to include breakfast in your stay, it was wonderful.
The downside was the noise (Stayed on one of the bottom floors), so ask to be on one of the top floors! The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but not too bad.
The location is great! Even though taxi's are very cheap in Mexico City, I did most by walkiing. Paseo de la Reforma is a pretty street, with downtown not far from there, the Zona Rosa, El Angel, and Castillo de Chapultepec. I would stay again, but for sure would ask for a room higher up!

Room Tip: Room higher up!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Pros: Location and staff define this hotel. Because it faces Paseo de La Reforma, Mexico City's most famous avenue, important businesses, history, architecture, etc., lie just outside, front and back, and we felt safe walking around to see them. The Revolution Monument and its museum are very close. The Alameda is about half a mile in one direction and the splendid Reforma 222 Mall about half a mile in the other. Starbuck's is at the hotel entrance, and Wing's, Vip's, Sanborns, and at least two convenience stores are within two blocks. Unmarked "hotel" taxis stand ready at all times (but check with the bellhops - some hassle from drivers at the door), and regular taxis (with registration and driver photo IDs) wait by the driveway on the street. Various buses travel La Reforma, especially those for easy transportation between the Zocalo and the National Auditorium (5 pesos or less, depending on whether or not they are air conditioned; check with the bellhops to be sure which bus to take). The Metro (underground) is about five blocks (3 pesos); the superb, express MetroBus (5 pesos), about the same distance. (Print maps and instructions for those systems before you go.)

Throughout our nine-night stay, everyone on the staff, upstairs and down, was friendly and eager to help. In such a large, 22-story, corporate property, it seemed exceptional to be greeted by name almost every time we passed through the lobby. Although we "get along" in Spanish, there was never a lack of English. In either language, we appreciated Oscar Guiot, Nayeli Hernandez, or Karla (concierge area), David Arroyo (bellhop), and Itzel (restaurant) for their interest in making our stay the best it could be, and they were not the only ones. Two examples: After we talked to him the first time, Oscar discovered we had a glitch from a room change during our check-in, and he chased us down on the 14th floor to make sure we knew. By the time we went downstairs again, he had corrected the problem. David, incredibly, offered to take my watch overnight for battery replacement because he thought, correctly, I would pay too much in the hotel neighborhood. There he was, watch in hand, the next morning, refusing a tip for "something that was a favor." And, without our asking, he let us use his Metro and MetroBus cards for our entire stay.

Other pros: Cleanliness (public areas and room); spacious feel throughout; gorgeous, fragrant lobby flowers; excellent wifi in room (no problem streaming video); good lighting; room window that could be opened; very comfortable king bed; safe in room (large enough for papers and small valuables but not large enough for laptop) at eye level and easy to operate with personal code; quality towels and space for toiletries in bathroom; very good TV and reception. The hotel's superb (but pricey) breakfast buffet was a trip highlight, something we expect to repeat on future trips to Mexico City.

Although we did not use them, the business center and gym gave a positive impression with more friendly staff at both places. The large business center has numerous cublicles and several meeting rooms for classes, training sessions, etc. The gym opens to an attractive roof garden with plants, flowers, and herbs.

Cons: Getting to the lobby involves climbing steps that look unsafe. The unusually high step from the sidewalk to the hotel portico, black and hard to see at night, sits at an uneven slope to the sidewalk. With no rail or any warning, we thought it was an accident waiting to happen. Inside the front door, white marble steps (no center railing), blend into white marble around them, and their high gloss lends a "slippery" impression. The dirty carpet at the center of those steps hardly enhances one's approach to the property.

The good-looking lobby is cold, cold enough that employees cover hotel uniforms with jackets and coats to stay warm.

Although hotel information says faucet water is filtered and safe to drink, employees advised us not to drink it. The hotel brought us two small bottles of water a day, hardly enough for brushing teeth and having a glass or two in the room. Additional bottles in the room have price tags, as do the coffee packs beside the coffeemaker. Considering the hotel price, we thought it petty to expect us to pay for in-room water and coffee, so we used neither.

Having visited Mexico City almost every year for twenty years (at least nine hotels at various levels), I know that bathtubs, washclothes, hand towels, and bathmats influence star ratings and prices. It seemed odd to have to worry about those things at Fiesta Americana Reforma. Right away, we learned to check for washclothes, hand towels, and a bathmat every afternoon when we returned to the hotel, and, many times, we had to call downstairs because housekeeping had not replaced them. This continued even after we reminded the maids on our way out in the morning. They didn't seem to understand that two people needed two hand towels, two washclothes, and one bath mat. It became a nuisance.

Although we doubt that it was intentional pilfering, we lost one item from the room, a large microfiber cloth for cleaning my laptop and tablet screens. This occurred when housekeeping decided to reorganize our room, moving and restacking our newspapers, travel brochures, receipts, etc., to make them how they thought they should be. The microfiber cloth disappeared in that process. We would have preferred that our papers stay where we put them, and it never occurred to me to lock my cloth in the safe.

We agree with other TripAdvisor comments about guests hearing from room-to-room. Although we had neighbors for only two nights, it was easy to hear them. And, yes, the large bed pillows are ridiculous! What ARE they? They are too big and too heavy to use or enjoy.

Laundry service at Fiesta Americana Reforma comes at such an exorbitant price that I wish I had bought new jeans instead of sending mine to the laundry.

Mexico travelors know the hassle of being caught somewhere with nothing but large bills, so getting change is important. Although the hotel provided change, I didn't like having to stand in lines behind those checking in or out in order to get it. Hotels should figure out a way to streamline this process.

Our final comment could apply anywhere we have stayed in Mexico City. No matter how friendly and sincere lobby staff are, too many know little or nothing beyond the main tourist spots. After we asked about getting to the nearest Metro station, I produced my own map to show that two stations were closer than the one the Fiesta Americana was recommending. The historic plaza in Coyoacan is not "just a couple of blocks" from the Coyoacan Metro, although we heard that twice. (It is an additional mile or more in a taxi.) My twenty years have taught me to study such things on my own. Many hotel workers live far from their workplaces in this enormous city, and the places tourists go, understandably, are far beyond their routine.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on a high floor (14th) facing northeast, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

thaks for your conratulations we wil share with our staff.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on business. I found the hotel to be very clean, very well located and the staff very friendly and helpful. Considering not many people in Mexico City speak English, they had made sure the front of house staff were multilingual. (not that I consider this a must... you're in Mexico after all)

If I had to nit-pick, the pillows weren't great.

The views from the upper floors were fantastic. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 10th floor and up.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are currently developing a final design to make general modifications in our rooms, thanks for your congratulations, we will share with our staff.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Located in centre of the city. Room was pretty good. Hospitality services were really good. Always keen to help guests. Restaurant was unbelievably rich in breakfast and buffet dinner, with lots of options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

we will share your congratulations with our staff

Rafina, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Located on the longest and most beautifull avenue of Mexico City, facing Colombus statue. Fabulous, spacy sitting rooms, nice corners to rest and talk. Friendly rooms with wide windows over the city and kingsize double bed. Our best impressions however are from the unbelievably rich breakfast and buffet dinner, with lots of local tastes! Better starve one week before you go there, trust me (if you are a gourmet type or want to try everything, like me!...).
The hotel is 20min walk from Zocalo popular square and the historic center.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Warmest Regards,

Been to Fiesta Americana Reforma? Share your experiences!