“Minimalistic Chic!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 284 Hotels in Mexico City
Mexico City, Mexico
“Minimalistic Chic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I read through some of the reviews from other travelers and i believe that in many cases, the guests were caught off guard by the design and overall experience offered by the Distrito Capital Hotel.
If you are considering the Hotel for your next visit, please note that the hotel is meant to be a hip/trendy hotel without much of the amenities offered by the larger properties and resorts.
The Habita Group (famous for the Habita hotel in Polanco) designed this property to be very modern and minimalist. The property is quite small (it only occupies four floors of the tall and slender Distrito Capital tower) but because the hotel starts on the 25th floor, every room has a great view of Santa Fe and the Mexico City Skyline.
The regular (superior rooms) are equipped with queen beds, which are comfortable and clean. Every room has a modern “rain” shower and a bathtub which is quite enjoyable. The WC is detatched from the main bathroom which you would think is convenient, but I found it to be a bit tight and uncomfortable.
All rooms offer high ceilings (about 12-14 feet) and electric blackout screens which we found were very convenient. The A/C in the rooms was a bit basic (we couldn’t set the thermostat, so we had to turn it on and then off when it got too cold.)
The pool and restaurant are on the 5th floor, the design of all the common areas is great, from the time you come in, you feel like you are in another world..!
The hotel is very popular with young people who visit the bar and restaurant and parties are not uncommon, so if you are a light sleeper, make sure you use the earplugs that the hotel provides.
To sum up, if you are looking for an elegant, full service traditional hotel, Distrito Capital is not for you, but if you appreciate clean, modern and trendy spaces in a comfortable and efficient setting, I think you will enjoy the Distrito Capital for any personal or business travel to the Santa Fe Area of Mexico City.

Room Tip: If you absolutely cant stand the noise, there are a few rooms that do not fac the Pool, this will be...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RodrigoDeLaHoz, Gerente at Distrito Capital, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for all your comments.
We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay at Distrito Capital.

We hope you come back very soon.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived to find no one to help us with our bags, direct us, or even greet us. We made our way to a dark, depressing lobby, and a less than welcoming front desk clerk. We were brought to our room on (I think) the 26th floor, which was perfectly fine, and went to check the exits as we always do when staying in a high floor room (particularly in earthquake prone regions, like Mexico City). We found all doors on the floor leading to staircases to be locked from the stairwell, so that in an emergency we would be trapped on the 26th floor. The front desk clerk told us that they were unable to unlock them, and after a heated argument agreed that we could leave without any obligation to pay for the room. She gave us a credit card receipt showing no charge and we were fortunate to find a room in the Camino Real, not far away. Weeks later we received our credit card bill, only to find a charge for the room of US $325!!! While I have no doubt that our credit card company will reverse the charge, I am shocked at the audacity of this hotel. Unsafe, unwelcoming, untrustworthy!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

At our arrival, nobody offered to carry our bags, the lady at the front desk seemed tired and wasn't very welcoming.

I understand the hotel's decoration is supposed to be minimalist and innovative in design, but it was weird for us to find a mirror hiding behind the wall, a table behind the bed, or the fact that the toilette is separated from the shower. None of it was functional for us.

We called the front desk to ask if anything was complimentary and they said everything was charged. However, I don't think it was because I took all of the batroom amenities: soap, shower cap, conditioner, etc. and I did not have to pay for them at check out. Also, I am used to having free coffee in hotel rooms, so I thought that might be free, but they charge 45 pesos for every nespresso capsule. Which is fine but there are no instructions as to where to make the coffee.

There are glasses everywhere but there is no complimentary water, which is inconvinient because in Mexico you can not drink tap water, and if the water is drinkable there is no way to know unless you call the front desk. The lights near the bed did not work and the plug ins were burned, we called the front desk and they sent maintenance but the guy just left without fixing it. In the morning, when I went to the bathroom, there was no light, so I accidentally broke one of the multiple glasses from which I couldn't even drink water from.

The hotel is clean and really original, the food is fine, but if you are used to the common hotel accomodations like: a bellboy, water in your room, a bathroom with an integrated shower, and light switches at your bedside, do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Cuernavaca, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The service at our arrival wasn't good at all. It was quite a mess to get our room ready.
Once in our room we could not connect our iPod, and the staff tried three times checking it, it didnt work. And we were not given another room.
We where there for theweekend and had places to go, so didnt care much.
How ever it was a good stay, the beds were confy, the shower extremely cool, with a shower overlooking the valley. All around views were amazing.
And the bar and restaurant where very trendy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RodrigoDeLaHoz, Gerente at Distrito Capital, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest
First of all, thank you for have chosen Distrito Capital during your trip to Mexico City.
We realy appreciate all your comments.
We have been working hard to improve our service looking to guarantee that our guests have a great experience.

I would like to invite you to stay again with us.

Regards
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I really like the area of Santa Fe in DF it's a bit close to everything and safe.... I only stayed there for 2 days and I will be going again in June...

The selection for breakfast is really large which I like as I am picky during that time of day :) The ladies at the front desk were always very nice to me as well as the maids that cleaned the rooms and even the repair man...

The whole turn key thing to make the lights in the room work was a bit annoying a cool feature as well... I love that the loo is away from the bath and shower and sorta hidden in the room.. The views ARE AMAZING....

Thank you again Distrito Capital ... William

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Mexico city
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week on a business trip, it was booked by my company and highly recommended. But as soon I stepped in I was more than disappointed. First there is not lobby, so you have to carry your luggage on your own to the 5th floor to find the front desk. When I finally had my room I found out that AC didn't work, so after complaining and having to call to the reception 5 times the lady in charge said that they had other costumers and could not respond to me. So I had to call the manager so he gave the order to have me moved to another room. By this time I had been waiting for 2 hrs and after a 14hr flight... you can guess I just wanted to go to bed.
In the new room soon found out that lights were not working; evenmore these rooms are very dark and is not comfortable; had to make up close to the window because light was so low intensity that couldn't use the bath mirror... Breakfast is very expensive and with limited options.
There are plenty options in Sta Fe area, so if you have the opportunity, don't stay here.

Room Tip: Top floor, make sure everything works on your room before accepting it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel was our first encounter with Grupo Habita, introducing us to the world of boutique hotels. Each one has a different and creative concept which is influenced by the neighborhood it lives in.

Distrito Capital was surrounded by other skyscrapers of high importance in Mexico City; this hotel in the Santa Fe area transported me to a world of cool, modern, elegant and mysterious charm. I arrived to a tall narrow hallway of mirrors, leading me to an elevator which took me to the lobby. At first I was little confused about where it would take me since there were no signs indicating where to go. The mystery was exciting, it gave the hotel a unique appeal. The service was very different from all other hotels, the staff was very reserved yet kind, I really liked the fact that they just let you be and don't bother you all day.

I knew I was in the perfect hotel when I walked onto my floor and saw a Nespresso machine waiting for me. The hallways leading to the rooms were also very tall and narrow, painted in black to transmit the mysterious vibe. The room was very chic, with views of the city. Color palette was black, white and gray. The lack of color was very sophisticated and the design details were superb. From witty phrases on the telephone, to an impeccable taste for furniture and even the Acqua Di Parma toiletries.

I loved the privacy of the bathroom, being separated by an actual door, and being far from the bedroom and shower. I note this because other Grupo Habita hotels don't have as much separation from bedroom to bathroom. One of my favorite features about the room, was the fact that there was a bathtub and shower. The bathtub was amazing, I started to feel like I was an important business man in another life. I was reading the newspaper and enjoying my hot espresso.

Distrito Capital is a great place to escape from the busy city scene and become someone sophisticated and relaxed.

Thanks Distrito Capital!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Distrito Capital? Share your experiences!