“Nice view, overpriced food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of La Casa de las Sirenas

La Casa de las Sirenas
Republica de Guatemala No. 32, | Centro Histórico, Mexico City 06000, Mexico (Centro)
(52) 5704 • 3345
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #211 of 1,740 restaurants in Mexico City
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Centro
“Nice view, overpriced food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice setting, but regular food,
but extraordinary price.

At the end the waiter even decided his own tip.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Rome, Italy
“Good Food, Attentive Service, V. Expensive Alcohol, Added Service Charge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The food was quite good and well-prepared.

Drinks here -- apart from beer, which is average-priced -- are very expensive. They offered me a margarita and I blindly took them up on it; it was delicious (and fairly large), but it was also almost $9 (converted from pesos to dollars), which to me sounds very high for a native drink in a country where things are generally cheaper to begin with. I looked at the wine menu, thinking that I might get a bottle with dinner, but a bottle that costs $7 on sale in the US was over $30 on their menu. Bottom line: be prepared to pay if you want booze with your meal.

The service was very good and the waiters were extremely polite.

I was here with a group of six, and at the end of the meal the waiter took it upon himself to add a 15% service charge (written in with pen) to the check. There was nothing on the menu that said that they would automatically add something for six people or more. I found this to be very presumptuous, first of all because in Mexico the usual tipping is 10-15%, so they started us out at the high range, and second of all because we were not very high maintenance customers. In fact, we bought a lot of little extras, and it would have been a nice touch (and a prompt for me to give a more generous tip) if they had left one or two of those off the bill. Besides, they also charged us a cover charge of 20 pesos each, which I did not recall seeing on the menu.

The waiter then proceeded to ask me to pay the "service charge" in cash, and I got the impression he was also hoping I would add a tip besides. At this point I felt like they were just seeing what they could get away with. As a result, I did not add anything extra in tip and I also insisted on putting the whole thing on my card.

End result: an otherwise lovely (if not a bit expensive) evening ended on a low note because of waiters who were unwilling to take the risks that are associated with their job, and trust that good service will get them a good tip without their having to force the matter.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
mexico, DF
“Go for the view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Not the best food in the Centro Historico (that prize goes to Mercaderes), but I'd say it has the nicest patio for sipping cold drinks and gazing at the Catedral. A nice watering-hole in the middle of a day's trip to the Zocalo.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fabulous fine dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This restaurant was about a 10-minute walk from our hotel (Hampton Inn). There were 3 floors of charming and intimate dining space but the rooftop terrace was the place to be. We didn't have a reservation but the restaurant wasn't very busy and most of the diners were all out on the terrace. The view of the Cathedral, Templo Mayor and the National Palace was nothing short of spectacular. Food and service were both good (they did have English menus). Admittedly it was one of the more expensive dinners we had on this trip, but given the fabulous location, romantic ambience, this was definitely a very worthwhile fine dining experience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Penticton, Canada
“Magnificent view of Cathedral”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Located behind the Cathedral one street off the Zocalo on Av. Republica de Guatamala, it has a great deck that overlooks the Cathedral. Service was good and the food very good. The wine list was quite extensive and the tequila list amazing!

Visited April 2013