“Decent food” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1,221 of 2,010 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Seafood, Peruvian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: La Mar es una creacion del famoso Chef Gaston Acurio. Es un restaurante especializado en la comida peruana de pescados y mariscos. Es una deliciosa fusion de comida criolla, japonesa y china.
Toronto, Canada
“Decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We had a set menu so wasn't able to sample the variety likely available. I had a "dried" soup which didn't look appealing but was actually quite interesting. My chicken dish was like a cordon blue preparation. It was okay. The dessert which was similar to a bread pudding was good.

Visited September 2013

“Nothing like La Mar in Lima”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

It's shameful that a Peruvian restaurant in a foreign country does not proudly display the rich culture of Peru as part of their decor (the was a picture of Machu Picchu in the women's bathroom according to my wife). When I entered, I had to ask if I was in the right place! I am a fan of Gaston as he has done a great job with properties in Lima and other countries but disappointed that he has not taken an interest at this location.

Enough on the decor, the food was expensive, the service barely acceptable and the flavor lackluster. For a globally acclaimed cuisine, La Mar in Mexico is not a very good example of the most delicious food on the planet. Yes, I'm a biased Peruvian fan and self proclaimed connoisseur. A staple dish like the Lomo Saltado had some strange ingredient that changed significantly the taste of this dish. The Peruvian Ceviche was also modified in some fashion and not representative of one of the most popular dishes in Peru.

I would rather they close this restaurant than continue to offer something false and not representative of the glorious flavors of this great cuisine.

Visited August 2012
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The guacamole was spectacular! The service was good, the prices are great and the food was delicious!!

Visited April 2013
Mexico City
“Really slipping now”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

This place used to be packed. I recall having lunch here prior to Christmas 2007 and sitting at the bar after waiting 45 minutes. Now you can walk in and have your choice of tables. Across the floor at El Japonez, people are still waiting to get in.

What happened? The place has gone down hill. It is no longer special.

I had lunch there on Saturday. We arrived a bit prior to 2 pm (early by DF standards) and got a nice table. Service was OK, not fast, not interested, OK - would be fine if this was VIPs. Waiter brought us chips and salsas and took drink orders after several minutes. Appetizers took too long to come and we finished the chips and two of the salsas. I had to ask for another tequila and soda and more chips as waiter ignored empty tray and glasses. I forgot to ask for more of the two salsas we finished so we never got those.

Appetizers came - fine - we have eaten here before. Main courses again took a bit longer than they should have to come but when they came they were fine and no surprise. It seemed like a different waiter and sometimes a waitress served each course and there was more help in the restaurant than customers - on a Saturday at lunch when across the way was full.

The table fairly close to us was annoyed about something but we could not tell what.

We decided to skip dessert as we figured it would take too long to come. We agreed to go across the hall to Teavanna for great tea and a nice piece of pastry.

We asked for the check and the waitress came and said "mira, there is no system today and your total is...". I asked that meant that credit cards were rejected too and she said no credit cards either. Now I knew what annoyed the table near us. I emptied my wallet and paid the bill and tip (not the fault of the wait staff that management is absent and has no interest in running this place anymore.) I am still short of cash on Monday morning and have to go to a cash machine later.

I have been to La Mar in Santa Fe about 15 times and on Palmas 4 or 5 times. I have seen it go from exciting and innovative with enthusiastic service to ho hum and now to bad. I will never return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere