“Amazing Flavors” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Astrid y Gaston

Astrid y Gaston
Alfredo Tennyson No. 117, Mexico City 11560, Mexico (Polanco)
+52 55 5282 2489
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Astrid y Gaston is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 2,348 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cross street: Alejandro Dumas y Eugenio Sue
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
“Amazing Flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I'm not an expert on Peruvian food but this experience has probably set the bar so high that I'm afraid I'll be frustrated trying to match it. Every single detail, from the artisan breads to the way they serve your water shows craft and creativity. The wine list is overpriced. The food is amazing.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nagasaki, Japan
“As in Peru a great mix of Japanese and Peruvian taste.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The place is very nicely decorated, makes one feel welcomed.
The service is helpful and the waiters know the preparation of every dish in the menu.
You feel pampered without being stalked by the staff.
Good food, good wines. My family just loved it!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orlando
“Best Peruvian food outside of Peru”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I spent a few days in Peru last year and the food was incredible. I was not expecting to find comparable dishes in Mexico. The restaurant itself is hidden down a street. The only reason you would know its a restaurant was the Zagat sticker on the window. The shrimp appetizer was one of the best things I have ever eaten. The Peruvian dishes have a Mexican twist using local flavors. This restaurant is a must!

Visited June 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Great Peruvian Food in Mexico!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I discovered the delights of Peruvian food last year on a business trip to Lima. I was amazed at the sophistication and amazing flavors.

On my recent trip to Mexico city we found Astrid & Gaston. Apparently it's a well known international chain. I haven't been to any other venues.

The food was amazing. I had ceviche to start with followed by traditional Lomo Saltado (a dish which even my kids love). Clearly Astrid & Gaston is high-end interpretation of Peruvian food but I certainly loved it!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paris, France
“Delicious but expectations were even higher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I always have a problem with a chef who brands with is name several restaurants - looks to me like a good marketing trick but when you agre going to Ducasse, Ramsey, Batali or whoever else restaurant you kind of expect that the chef is there - ok maybe not everyday but at least from time to time.

So as I happen to be in Mexico more often than in Lima, the opportunity to try one of the places in World's top 10 or 20 was too good to pass. So just to make it clear: great restaurant, outstanding service (well, either I should learn some Spanish or waiters some English but food remains quite universal language so I end up eating what I intended). Now, is this place in world top 20 ? - absolutely not, but then the one which is ranked is Lima one, not the restaurant in Mexico, so a trip to Peru remains a must.

Food is delicious, ceviche among the best I ever had, grilled shrimp on potato cake cooked to perfection, warm octopus just melting, meat delicious and tuna among the best I've ever had... Great wine list, very well priced and nicely fitting with wines.

Absolutely worth thing, among the best restaurants in the city but just do to consider it as a proxy for Lima one !

Try to get a table outside, on large terasse

• Visited June 2013