“Most luxurious hotel in Mexico City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Mexico City

You added The St. Regis Mexico City to your Saves list
The St. Regis Mexico City
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de la Reforma 439 | Col. Cuauhtemoc, Mexico City 06500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 287 Hotels in Mexico City
Northeast USA
“Most luxurious hotel in Mexico City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

I stayed here for one night in early September, just about 4 weeks after the hotel opened. This was my first stay after many, many stays at the Four Seasons down the street.

I booked a Luxury Suite through AMEX Platinum service and got the promised amenities of 4 pm checkout, 100 USD food credit and free breakfast automatically without having to ask for them. I did not receive an upgrade, but I suspect that is because I booked the highest category room eligible for an upgrade.

My Luxury Suite was located on the 9th floor, room 901. I had expected a room on a higher floor since I know some of their best rooms are on floors 14 and 15, but when I asked about this afterwards was told that the Luxury Suites are located on several floors.

It has an impressive view of Paseo de la Reforma at a bit of an angle as the room configuration is slightly circular given the columnar structure of the building.

This suite is split into 4 rooms. At the entrance immediately to the left is a small powder room with a toilet and very modern sink. Immediately in front on walking into the room is a large open plan room with a dark brown dining table with 6 chairs and a bar area against the wall. In that same room is a living room with a large flat screen TV attached to the wall, below which is a large desk.

The furniture in the living room, including a couch, coffee table and either 1 or 2 more chairs is modern and elegant in earthy tones. The floor is a dark hardwood floor. The windows I believe, although not floor to ceiling, do extend the entire length of the room facing Reforma.

Between the dining table and living room (which again are in one open space) is the entrace to the bedroom. It should be noted that the door closes and locks, separating the bedroom from the living/dining space and has a different room temperature control than the living/dining area. The bedroom has a large flat screen TV also attached to the wall directly opposite the bed. There is also a chair and small table in the bedroom in addition to extensive closet space. As with the living area, there are windows extending along the entire length of the wall facing Reforma.

The bathroom, with 2 separate sink areas, opposite each other, is through the bedroom. There is a separate room within the bathroom with the toilet (no bidet) and a separate tub and shower. My only complaint is that the door to the bathroom is glass and does not give complete privacy in the bathroom. The amenities are Remede toiletries which are very nice. Included in addition to the usual bathroom amenities is a facial cleanser, a product I have never seen in 5 star luxury hotel bathroom amenities!

As with other 5 star luxury properties throughout the world (my basis for comparison is Four Seasons, Peninsula and Park Hyatt hotels), in addition to a very spacious elegant bathroom, other wonderful features include turndown service, 24 hour room service, 24 hour butler service and bedside control panel (for everything from lights to room temperature to do not disturb sign, etc), and discrete security presence throughout the hotel.

When I was there, only the Diana Restaurant was open but was told that other restaurants would open soon. I should note that we were the only 2 people in the restaurant on a Friday night but I imagine that is because it is new. The food was wonderful even though we requested steaks that were not on the menu.

I used the spa for both a haircut and a massage. Both were excellent, but I must add that the haircut prices are very expensive for Mexico. Massage prices are expensive but typical of other 5 star properties.

I should add that whatever side of the hotel the spa is located on gets lots of sunlight in the afternoon as opposed to my room facing Reforma.

I did not use the fitness center but did go to the business center. It is small but has several computers. My only complaint is that use of the internet is not free, even for a few minutes. There is a minimum purchase of 3 hours. I called for help and explained I only wanted to use the internet for a few minutes and was given free access. I was grateful for this, but I'm not sure I would be this lucky again.

Comparing this hotel to what I consider its only true competition, the Four Seasons-- clearly visible across the other side of Reforma at an angle--they are both excellent properties in their own way. They both have excellent service and great (discrete) security.

The main advantage to the Four Seasons is that it feels warmer--more welcoming--and "Mexican." (I can say that as I am Mexican). The courtyard with bougainvilleas and fountain with water running are soothing.

But, for those (like friends I travel with) who are allergic to dust mites and "fluffy type" furniture or carpeting and therefore undoubtedly get allergic in most hotel rooms, the St. Regis is better because of the hardwood floors (at least in the living/dining area in my suite) and obviously much newer carpeting (in my suite bedroom).

The one bedroom suite at the Four Seasons, which I know very well, would, in my opinion, be the equivalent to the St. Regis Luxury Suite. Both have flat screen large TVs and a small TV in the main bathroom. Both have 2 bathrooms (one a smaller powder room). Both have a dining table though the FS one is best for 4 people whereas the St. Regis one seats 6. The FS suite is much sunnier, facing a courtyard, with windows that open to the outside so one can hear the water flowing in the fountain below. The St. Regis suite is a bit larger at 102 sq meters compared to 93 sq meters and has more modern furniture. St. Regis suites are on higher floors as the FS only has 8 floors and has more expansive views of the city. I will add that my friend whom I travel with invariably gets allergies in the FS suites but did not at the St. Regis.

Both have in-house restaurants though I've never been a fan of the food at the FS. Both have spas but the spa at the St. Regis is bigger and more elegant, with the women's lockers set against floor to ceiling windows facing the city. Both offer valet parking but it costs 60 MXN at the FS and is free at the St. Regis. Both require a room key to access guest floors. The FS does not have a hair salon but refers guests to a hair salon located 2 blocks away which offers much cheaper, though equivalent, haircuts for women.

So it comes down to preference--newer, more modern and less allergenic St. Regis or older but more welcoming FS. I'm not sure I've made up my mind but will post future reviews.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We recently had a group event in Mexico City and spent a total of one week there. The service from the staff second to none and the attention to detail was unbelievable. I highly recommend this hotel to anybody going to Mexico City for work or leisure.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Madrid
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

Superb in al respects. The rooms are hughe, and beautiful. We were granted early checkin without asking, and also late check out. Staff is great, even if the hotel is only a few weeks old. Service is absolutelly the best. The swimming pool has wonderful views of Reforma and El Angel, and has two adjacent jacuzzis just perfect for jet lag recovery.

I got a great rate since I booked even before the hotel opened. Prices have gone up significantly, but if you can afford it, you will not be disappointed. Simply the best.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Just confirmed our booking with the St. Regis for our upcoming 15th Anniversary. Wanted to post about our very very favorable experience with the hotel even before arrival. There was a little snafu with the reservation (that being our rate was insanely low, like Motel 6 low, for a suite--clearly an entry error, but after being in contact with the hotel directly (via email), they confirmed that the rate would be honored and then continued to treat us like royalty--replying to my questions promptly, asking if I needed any special arrangements, etc.

What a great place!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Regis Mexico City? Share your experiences!