“Just ok.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fonda el Refugio

Fonda el Refugio
Liverpool 166 Col Juarez | Zona Rosa, Mexico City, Mexico (Juárez)
55 25 81 28
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #232 of 2,009 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican, Vegan, Vegetarian, Healthy
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Juárez
Description: Traditional Mexican Cuisine since 1954. Everything is made artisanally. We cook all our dishes in clay pots. We prepare our moles from scratch. Cook our own tortilla dough using the ancient nixtamalization process and then grinding the corn in our own volcanic rock mill. We grind & stuff our own sausage, hanging it & letting it cure for a whole week before it can be used. All our desserts are made also in either copper or clay pots. Be sure to ask for a tour of the kitchen so you can witness this first hand and also take a lesson on how to make tortillas and our world famous margaritas.
Montreal, Canada
“Just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The service was excellent! The decor and ambiance great! But the food was not as good as what was expected...

Visited April 2014

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Hard to find, but worth the effort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a lovely restaurant, situated near the Zona Rosa in Mexico City. The decor is amazing, a combination of colors, authentic folk art pottery and paintings.

The food is fresh and while served simply, is fantastic. One of the things I love are their seasonal specialties and on my visit I had squash blossom quesadillas, and a fantastic grilled fish. I seldom eat dessert however when I heard about their nut cream pinon ice cream I went for it!

When you are in the area and want something exciting and new, this is the place.

• Visited April 2014
Mexico City, Mexico
“Mayoras cooking ! visit the kitchen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Hi, after i visited this week this restaurant ( i have been here many times) and read here the comments i decided to write mine.

This restaurant has some of the best totopos ( fried with lard) with guacamole in the city, i went with a friend that said she was allergic to lard and until next day i told her they were fried with lard ( no stomach ache !! only her prejudice about lard ). they have Tortas de Huanzontles that unfortunately not many restaurants offer nowadays.I wouldn't order antojitos in many restaurants in Mexico as they are not well done like here.

It is interesting that most people do not realize that the owner is not the one that cooks but women like Lupita that has worked here for about 45 years and is a Mayora ( a woman that has learned how to cook through oral tradition and not in a school or with books and teaches the younger women how to cook, they learn how to cook after many years of practicing and they have their own taste, festivities even in Mexico city would have many of these women preparing tamales, rice and mole that are not easy task) Lupita here takes 2 days to have her mole ready. Also this restaurant is one of very few that can give you a visit of the kitchen to see how they even nixtamalize their corn!!!!! their natilla is even caramelized with an old fashion iron !!of course all of that has a price in a restaurant...

• Visited April 2014
Sedona, Arizona
“A Real Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is the first time that I have ever written an average review, I prefer to keep it to myself when an experience is underwhelming, and rave when it is great. The restaurant itself has a wonderful atmosphere, although the chairs are very uncomfortable. The margarita was excellent, the fried plantains incredible, and the main course horrible. It was the specialty menu chicken in sauce I had not heard of before. My wife ordered off the same specialty menu, although a different sauce. The main course was chicken, sauce, and rice. Nothing else. My main course was terrible tasting, her's approaching average. The waiter could also have been nicer, as this was to be a very special experience for us. The main course was extremely overpriced.
We had great expectations of this restaurant, and had heard wonderful things from another about the quality of the experience. However, regardless of how many say the emperor is clothed beautifully, in reality, he is only partially clothed. This restaurant must rest a little less on it's laurels and reputation, and try harder to make this a quality experience for all. While we will never be back, a few tweaks could make this a great place, mainly a better specialty menu, and a kinder waiter.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Authentic Mexican Cuisine with a Yucatan flavour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This restaurant is conveniently located in the Zona Rosa and has been here for over 50 yrs. I remember it well from my days in Mexico City in the 70s. It has not lost its charm service and food were excellent. I had the molle and wasn't disappointed it had delicate nutty flovour typical of the south of Mexico.It is a small restaurant so I would advise reservations. Was and still is one of my favorites.This is authentic Mexican food don't go there looking for tacos!!

• Visited February 2014