“Comfortable Mexican Casual” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fonda el Refugio

Fonda el Refugio
Calle Liverpool 166 | Zona Rosa, Mexico City 06600, Mexico (Juárez)
5525-8128
Improve this listing
Ranked #244 of 2,195 Restaurants in Mexico City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Juárez
Description: Traditional Mexican Cuisine since 1954. Everything is made artisanally. We cook all our dishes in clay pots. We prepare our moles from scratch. Cook our own tortilla dough using the ancient nixtamalization process and then grinding the corn in our own volcanic rock mill. We grind & stuff our own sausage, hanging it & letting it cure for a whole week before it can be used. All our desserts are made also in either copper or clay pots. Be sure to ask for a tour of the kitchen so you can witness this first hand and also take a lesson on how to make tortillas and our world famous margaritas.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Comfortable Mexican Casual”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I asked the clerk at my hotel to recommend a casual, reasonably priced Mexican restaurant in the neighborhood and she recommended the Fonda el Refugio. My wife and enjoyed good food, a nice atmosphere and prompt service. It was exactly what we were looking for.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Great food in a charming ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My partner is strictly vegetarian and it was one of the few places that had at least 2 very good (cooked, to salads) vegetarian options. I had a wonderful fish fillet in garlic with very fresh and delicious vegetables. Salad was also very good.

Mexico City, Mexico
“Awful Restaurant and cheating waiter”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The only good thing was the salsa verde. There were five of us and the mole was awful . All others were also unhappy with food and service. The waiter increased the tip.

Mexico City, Mexico
“This has become an awful place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The service as well as the food was very bad. I gave them a tip anyway. But the waiter decided to increase the tip and created a very difficult situation. I Could not in front of four other member of my family to argue with the waiter. So I did not say anything. I guess that is what they expect.

This place was excellent 20 years ago and I thought it will still will be fine. The mole was the worst I have ever had. It took them more than one hour before they served us anything and of course when the food came it was not eatable. They served only about six chips with the guacamole and after asking extra chips three times the waiter brought us five more chips.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Boston
“Delicious and authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The service and room are warm and friendly and charming. We went at dinner and it was not crowded, so we had very attentive and professional service. The food was delicious.