“Stay Away -- Terrible Hotel -- Poor Service.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel

You added Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel to your Saves list
Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de la Reforma 276 | Col Juarez, Mexico City 06600 , Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #53 of 287 Hotels in Mexico City
Woodstock, Georgia
“Stay Away -- Terrible Hotel -- Poor Service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Arrived into Mexico City running a large event hosted at this hotel. Being a Marriott and a high end one at that, was expecting good things for $300+ per night. Started off poorly. Booked a room for the family because we were headed on vacation after my event. Policy only allows for three people in a room; regardless and no exceptions. My kids had to stay in a different room. No bend on the policy. Horrid!

Other major issues with the hotel:
1. Hallway was 85 degrees; complained but never fixed.
2. Towels were like sand paper; better towels at Motel 6.
3. Charged for coffee packets beyond one and "fee” to clean the minibar.
4. Chemical smell in the hallway from apoxy due to repairs that permeated into the room; made two my daughters sick and felt fine upon leaving the hotel.
5. Keys all failed several times and had to be constantly reprogrammed; major hassle.
6. $300+ night room window opened to a grey stucco wall.
7. The emergency light never turns off in the room and blinked all night; had to sleep with a pillow over my head.

I spoke with the manage twice and she explained this was their policy and it would not change. She was going to check out the problems and would get back to me. Upon walking away, I presume she laughed at the silly gringo and never responded to my issues. Seemed generally unconcerned with my issues or me as a customer spending $6k+ in two days.

I would not stay at this hotel nor would I recommend anyone whom you like to stay at this hotel. I am low key and generally expect to get what I pay for and this fell way short. I think you can have a much better experience and be safe in a better room with a better view for half the price. Very disappointing and a huge let down for a Marriott. Might just be this location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Mr. Lazar it is a pleasure to take care of your needs.
We want to thank you for all the time you took for sending us your valuable comments, they are very important for us.

As a follow up Mr. Lazar, the problem at your arrival was not that you came with your family and wanted to stay in the same room, we understand that the problem was the fact to inform that you and your family(your daughters older than 12),needs to stay in 2 rooms according our policy about the maximum occupation per room (3 paying for 3rd pax 50 USD plus taxes per night) which is published in Marriott.com and is the same for every guest, I apologize if this extra expense was not planned to be done.

The price for the coffee is informed in a tent card (next to the coffee maker) that says only the first kit of coffee is for free but nothing about minibar cleaning. Also in the website you can find that the hotel has no view preferences because the urban area (both sides of rooms facing buildings).

About the emergency light, if you refer the green light in the fire detector inside the room, unfortunately this detector cannot be off because of Marriott International Security Standards but under request, we can put some tape on it so you do not see the light during your stay, unfortunately we did not received any request, but gladly we can take this action if you prefer us to, in a future for you.

The chemical smell in the hallway was reported directly to our Rooms Division Director, who in that moment, sent somebody to check what was going o, maintenance department was painting the wooden trim in all the hallway so immediately we stopped the work, in order to avoid any disturb for you, I apologize if this fact affected in some manner to you or your family.

Sir, it is really important for us each one of our valuable guests, so we invite you to come back to enjoy the hotel I am sure that you can have a different impression of Marriott Reforma we are at your service.
We apologize again and look forward to a new opportunity to re vindicate our reputation with you.

Have a wonderful day.

Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When in town for business we always stay at the Marriott Reforma. It is super clean, offers superb service, and very close to our office. The bell staff in particular is friendly and goes above and beyond to ensure your comfort. My colleague left his computer bag in the taxi upon our arrival from the airport. Rather than leaving him to deal with it Oscar tracked it down and made sure the bag arrived quickly. My colleague was able to rest easy knowing the problem was in capable hands.
They have many English speakers on staff to ease communication too.

As far as food I think the room service offerings are superb. Frankly, I developed a Hot Chocolate addiction! Try it, it's delicious!!

It might be nice to stay in Polanco sometime just because the restaurant scene is so great there. However considering this hotel's proximity to our office and the service offered I will continue to stay at the Marriott for future visits.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Marriott_Reforma, General Manager at Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments!

Your opinion is very important for us, thank you for taking the time of writing to us.
We consider your point of view a very valuable tool for our improvement, we are always looking for a quality service and best experience as you deserve.

We are pleased and grateful to know that our staff makes you feel at home, that is our goal and we appreciate your preference everytime you visit Mexico City. Thank you!

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hotel is quite nice. We had a room on the 4th fl with corner view of Paseo de la Reforma. Room was very clean, comfortable as expected, safe in room, toiletries and bottle water provided.

Fitness center, pool, sauna, steam room, hot tube nice.

Good location in Zona Rosa. Felt safe. Restaurants, banks, cafes close by.

Staying on Paseo de la Reforma great location for using public transit. Metro stop Insurgentes less than 10 min walk on Genova (walking street) close to the hotel. Close to metro bus line on Insurgentes as well. 20 min walk to Chapultapec park. Free bike rental right outside the door every day 8-5 (drivers license accepted as valid ID, passport not required). Paseo de la Reforma was closed on Sunday, 25 km, fun to ride bicycle along with the locals.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I am currently staying at the Marriott Reforma in Mexico City. The hotel property is very nice with 2 restaurants including a steak house. There is also a concierge lounge with foot on the 16th floor. The conceirge lounge is very nice and they have a buffet for both breakfast and lounge. The concierge floor also includes a very nice outdoor patio.

The receiption at the hotel is very good. Very service oriented. The rooms are very nice and modern. However, there is not a safe in the room. This is one change I recommend for the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments!

Regarding your suggestion about the safe in the room, in fact we have them in every room. Gladly, on your next stay if you allow us to, we can show the location and usage, for your convenience.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a newer hotel and a very good business hotel. Very nice concierge level, Internet connections and a helpful staff. The location is near Zona Rosa, the U.S Embassy and shopping mall, complete with banks and restaurants. A much newer Marriott option than the Polanco JW.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Not as luxurious as the St. Regis or the Four Seasons on Reforma, but a good hotel in a great location. Zona Rosa right on the doorstep. Transportation from hotel very easy, used their cabs and while expensive reliable and good. Food not bad in the bar area, drinks were good. For the right price great option in Mexico City.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

BA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The pick up from the hotel was very well coordinated and I was lucky to get a room when I asked for an early check in... but that was all the luck I got so far at my 3 days at the Marriott. The only thing I requested is to have a room away from elevators, well... the 2 times I went up to check into my room were on the left or on the right of the elevator area. So check in time took almost an hour because everytime I came down to talk to the front desk, they were busy with someone else I had to wait again.When I finally got to my room, an hour later the mini bar guy came in to check on the mini bar! I said NO! He just knocked and got in! I asked for a taxi and the hotel recommended one from their staff. The guy said i had the wrong address and kept driving around and complaining that the address did not exist making me call the people to confirm. 30 minutes later he found it and apologize and requested his payment. When I said I was to charge it to the room he said I could not do that! What!? I had to leave at 8AM in the morning, ask for advice at the concierge and told me to leave at 4.30... I got to the airport at 5AM and had to wait until 8AM when it was a domestic flight. They will not be hearing back from me anytime soon...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mexico City Marriott Reforma Hotel? Share your experiences!