“Stunning Food, Surprising Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BIKO

BIKO
PRESIDENTE MAZARIK 407 POLANCO, Mexico City, Mexico (Polanco)
525552822064
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Polanco
Long Beach, California
“Stunning Food, Surprising Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had the 8-course meal with the wine pairing, which I think came out to about $130. I easily would have paid $300-400 for that here in the US. The food was exquisite- modern Spanish/Basque, inventive. The wine pairings were a lesson in themselves. Also primarily Spanish, some other rare wines were included. Pours were generous so you don't need to start with a cocktail. The food tended to come out quickly, especially with a party of 2- don't be afraid to ask them to slow down.

Visited January 2013

Lausanne, Switzerland
“Very trendy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great interior, 'high' fusion/molecular cuisine — we couldn't even guess sometimes what did we eat, nice serving.

Visited January 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
“One of the best in Mexico City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a Basque-Mexican restaurant with authentic dishes. The Spanish influence is excellent if that is what you are after as are the Mexican dishes. The staff is very helpful and the menu is quite extensive. The restaurant itself is very attractive and the offering is a nice change from the other "upscale" restaurants in Mexico City. Our food was delicious and it is worth the price.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tianjin, China
“Oh what fun it is!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband, myself, and 2 sons (ages 20 and 23) splurged on this restaurant over Christmas vacation. All 4 of us ordered the seven+ course chef's tasting menu and the accompanying wines. I was a little hesitant to go; my son, a fan of Alinea, picked it. I thought it might be pure molecular gastronomy...which I do not always like. Here, every course was delicious. We had a great time discussing each dish and our reactions to them. It made for a very lighthearted meal.The waiters were very helpful and explained each ingredient. I think it helped that I spoke Spanish. Service was impeccable.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City, Mexico
“Basque Fusion At Biko Is A Delicious, Well-Executed Experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Biko is listed on San Pelligrino's "World's 50 Best Restaurants" list. When we visited (2012) it was ranked #38 on the list.

In order to have the full experience, we decided to order the degustation menu.

The Food at Biko is Mexican-Basque fusion. That said, it's really no surprise that we found the menu to be artistic and well executed. And the great thing about dining from the degustation menu: my Spanish isn't so amazing that I can really grasp exactly what I am eating. I could have sat there and translated some of the words that I was unfamiliar with, but I decided to just go with it and trust Pelligrino's rating. And, as it turns out, almost everything that we ate at Biko is something I wouldn't have eaten in a million years had I known what I was eating (venison in particular).

However, I also think that this demonstrates the brilliance of the kitchen. Each dish came to the table with flair. The timing was well spaced, and if I had any complaint it would be about the bread service, which I felt seemed unimpressive for such a highly regarded restaurant.

The service was exceptional. The wait staff was well informed and excited to showcase each dish. They presented each offering with a lot of passion---which was impressive because it seemed like everyone around us was eating the same thing and I personally would have been tired of saying the same thing over and over again all night long. Not these people. They were excited to present each dish and anxiously anticipated your initial reaction. I think our waiter enjoyed serving us because we literally had a thousand questions (many of them in Spanglish, which was also interesting).

Noting my husband's allergy to shellfish, several people came out to confirm in both English and in Spanish what his limitations were. The staff was careful to confirm that he could have anything they made except for shrimp or lobster--and were so kind and thorough.

In addition to the dining experience itself, I enjoyed working with the waiter to select a robust, Mexican red wine. I have been so impressed by Mexican wines and feel a little cheated that I was not exposed to them until now. While I was a little surprised that there wasn't a sommelier (at a restaurant like that?) I felt that the waiter was so thorough and knowledgable, that the sommelier wasn't altogether necessary.

The atmosphere was elegant meets casual. Biko is oddly located on the second story of a two-story shopping plaza. My passion for Travail and Buchon has taught me that it doesn't really matter where a restaurant is--in a suburb, in the middle of nowhere--if the food is good, the people will find it. The strip mall does happen to be in the middle of swanky Polanco, but I still found the location odd for one of the world's best restaurants. As such, the patronage was mixed: a few couples enjoying date night, lots of old money families and a few tables of Mexican Yuppies (one of which brought their kids, which I personally thought was completely unnecessary as it was 10:30PM and not necessarily a kid friendly place to begin with).

The verdict: after dining at both and reading lots of reviews online, I'd say diners are consistently split: you're either a Biko person or a Pujol person. Everyone seems to have a preference. We were aligned that we liked the service, atmosphere, presentation and food better at Biko. We will absolutely return to Biko! In fact, I was so happy with my meal that at the end (I couldn't stop smiling), I asked the waiter if we could thank the chef. He said, "sure" and before my husband could object (he hates attention of any kind, and as you can imagine was horrified that we were paraded through the entire restaurant and taken to the kitchen--admittedly, lots of heads were turning following the" Americans on parade" as we visited the chef).

Going into the kitchen and seeing the stations and watching the team of chefs work together really sealed the deal for me. It reinforced for me that the staff at Biko are committed to excellence--and the orugllo that they have for the food they serve is evident in everything that they do!

• Visited September 2012