“Great location, great value for heavy sleepers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apartamentos-Hotel Avilla

Bookmark
You added Apartamentos-Hotel Avilla to your Saves list
Apartamentos-Hotel Avilla
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   Sombrereros No 9, Col. Tabacalera | (between 126 & 128 of Av. Hidalgo) Col Tabacalera, Delg Cuauhtémoc, Mexico City 06030, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 95 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Houston
“Great location, great value for heavy sleepers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed here for 11 days in July for the second time in 2 years. The staff is consistently friendly and helpful. The location is just a few yards from the metro and very close to the metrobus. Initially finding it might take some doing, as it is located on a small street, so follow the instructions provided on the hotel's web site. Two family members stayed with me this time. I had warned them that it wasn't particularly luxurious, nor beautiful, but perfectly functional. There is a handy store just outside the door and almost everything you need in the kitchenette. I was able to visit the market and stock up on what I needed and cook her interesting new foods like huazontle, that you can't buy on the street. We had a large strong box in the room (big enough for a small laptop and other things), with a secret code that we created, where we left all valuables every day. In our suite I was able to get wifi in the living room/kitchette area but not in the bedroom. Last year, in a different room, I had to go to the office for wifi. I don't know if service has improved or it was the room location. The beds are firm and the pillows a bit lumpy. My daughter had her pillows changed with no hassle. The newspaper distribution process begins at 3:30 am across the street and is very noisy if you want the windows open. Maybe it is okay in another part of the hotel. It's not so bad with the windows closed. I didn't mind it, but it did impact the sleep of the other two in the party at first. We found that leaving the windows open all night kept the room cool, and closing them at 3:30 until 7 when the noise level goes down, worked out. Like so many places in Mexico City, there is no climate control. You want to be warmer, layer on the clothes. If you want to cool down a little, open the windows. For the price, the location can't be beat. If you are a light sleeper you need to make sure you don't get a room that faces the newspaper distribution center. The other guests were never heard. There seemed to be a number of families staying there. The entrance on the street is always locked but quickly opened by security who always escort you to your floor on an older elevator. You can choose to walk the stairs as well. I felt safe knowing that no one comes in the door that the hotel is not aware of.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Weslaco, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights. I booked this hotel based on the location. It's a few steps away from the Hidalgo Metro station and tourist points such as the Alameda, Avenida Reforma, Zocalo and Bellas Artes are a close distance away by foot. The neighborhood is quite safe too, although it might not seem like it. One night, me and my sister returned to the hotel after midnight and had to walk from the metro station, we just encountered a guy saying nonsense, but not really to us. So I would say it's safe. But as in all places, take precautions.
The hotel itself is not luxurious at all, but is not bad either. The staff are really friendly and what you would expect from a good hotel. There is also a guard/front man who is always by the entrance, as he is the only one who will open the door for you since it remains locked. I felt very safe because of that. Rooms are plain but comfortable. You get a nice little kitchenette and a dining table. Beds are not the most comfortable (they could do by changing the pillows) but if you're not a picky sleeper, by the time you get there after walking through the city all day, you won't even mind.
Also, since the hotel is next to La Prensa newspaper, there is a moderate amount of noise from the early morning, given they arrange the distribution of the newspapers in the street/sidewalk front of the hotel. I just noticed it the first day, the rest of the days it didn't even bothered me, but my mom and dad did find it a little bit troublesome, but nothing serious they said.
All in all, I would say this is an excellent choice if you're travelling on a budget. Next time I travel to Mexico City I will surely pick this hotel again^^

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is an average neighborhood, on a squalid side street. But the price is reasonable, it is next to metro station, and the rooms are spacious with a dining table, fridge, and kitchen sink. The internet is a big hit and miss; I suggest bringing along your own internet cable because the wifi is unstable.

I used my credit card once while I was in Mexico, at this hotel. 36 hours later later my card had fraudulent charges. I would be very wary about giving them any credit card information. Either they sell the credit card info or they cannot keep it safe. Ask if you can pay in cash.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This seems to be the best value place in Mexico City, but do not come here if you are expecting international hotel standards. This is a place for the budget conscious traveller who also wants good security.

The building itself is a bit of a freak-out if you're not used to budget travelling in developing countries. It's tucked away in a back street and it takes a bit of getting used to. You'll get to know the security guy downstairs, who will always accompany you in the lift and is there to let you into the building (there is no external key). This is good news for security, as the security man knows everyone staying there.

The suite we had consisted of four rooms - kitchen, bathroom,dining/loungeroom and bedroom. These are spartan, and the kitchen functions at a threadbare level, but they do the job. The staff are extremely helpful and always try to sort out any questions you have about the local area.

As I say, don't expect a high quality of rooms and furnishings, but if budget and security is important to you, this may be your place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited Mexico for 2 weeks on a business trip and stayed at Avilla. The place is pretty old and outlook of the hotel was not great. But, the service was really good and the facilities provided were satisfactory. The room has all facilities like TV, microwave over, refrigerator, Gas stove and utensils for cooking. The bathrooms where clean and neat.
The room service was really great. Every day they would make my room and cleaned the utensils which I used for cooking. All my belongings which I left in my room was safe and I felt secured living there. Only 1 person of the staff speaks English. But, others would try to understand your concern and try to resolve it. They helped in arranging taxi from secured and cheap place. The OXXO shop at the ground floor was useful for getting food and other essentials 24X7.
Great value for money.

Room Tip: The streets down are noisy. Ask for a room on top floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

First of all, I have to say that I was a little bit worry about going alone in Mexico City. But as soon as I left my things at that hotel, I felt safe knowing that I had a secure place to go and rest.

Everybody who works there are really kind. Special mention for Senor Cardinez, I wish more people in life would be as respecful as that gentleman. He is a five star guy, no doubt.

I recommend that place in Mexico City. I will definitely go back there since the location is amazing to visit downtown Mexico.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I moved to this place when i was disappointed with El Ejecutivo. I couldnt have made a better decision. This is the best and yet the cheapest place in Mexico City. True, it's not honeymoon suite but if you are looking for budget place, very safe, clean, and excellent location -this is it. For very small amount I got this apartment style room with plenty of cabinets (storage place), a big full wall size window that directly gives me full view of Hidalgo, and a kitchenette with stove, microwave, refrigerator, and pans! Incredible!! Front doors are always locked and only way to get inside is by ringing bell (and door man opens it); thus very safe! No traffic of outsiders or hookers (if thats what you looking for then this is not place for you). There is very basic TV, no phone, and I dont recall A/c but I didn't care. I was so happy with place, location, price and helpfull front desk that I extended my stay. This time I was traveling solo but now I know when I travel with my family next time in Mexico -where to stay for a week or two! I mean, it is at the intersection of Hidalgo and Reforma! You step out and there is convenience store, all transportation options, and this hotel offers unbeatable price. I give it Five Star Rating!

Room Tip: Dont worry about floor or side of the building this is the best bargain.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Apartamentos-Hotel Avilla? Share your experiences!