“The best hostel ever” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Louisville, KY
“The best hostel ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I just recently got back from a month and a half studying in GTO and I lived at La Casa de Dante the entire time. And what I can say to sum up my experience is that I think about it everyday, I miss it everyday, and the family that owns and runs the hostel literally became my family. I miss them very much. La senora of the house, Irene, cooks an outstanding breakfast every morning, and even when I showed up at the table with a hangover, she would fix me a hangover remedy meal and juice. Her cooking was better than any restaurant in GTO, and the price of the hostel and the quality of the breakfast, you can’t beat La Casa de Dante. Dante, Irene’s sons were such sweeties. Her husband as well. We had many mornings where they would help me with my Spanish homework or with difficult words in the newspaper. They literally treat every guest like a member to the family. Irene also likes to sing, and one day we made salsa together. Her salsa requires blackening dried chilis and we were coughing, laughing and crying so hard... But it was worth it, because it’s the best salsa in town and we had so much fun.

One of my favorite things about la Casa de Dante is the location. It’s about a 15-20 minutes walk from the center and you have to walk up about 180 stairs. This sounds grueling, but I ended up losing about 12 lbs. on my trip. The walk to the center is really nice, and you pass Embajadores every day where the markets are set up and people are out and about shopping and walking around. I sincerely miss it so much. I looked at staying at places closer to the center, but my friends complained of a lot of noise (GTO is a very happening town) so being a little walk outside of town was a good decision. The walk is very safe, even late at night. I did it everyday 3 or 4 times a day and never had a single problem.

So if you are considering staying in GTO, you should defenitely consider La Casa de Dante. You will not regret it. The hostel also has an amazing terrace that you can barbecue on. It has an amazing view. One night we barbecued for the family to thank them for all their hard work. We sat up on the terrace and drank wine and ate dinner. It really is an amazing place with an amazing family. There’s no better place in GTO.

• Liked — The family and the breakfast.
  • Disliked — I liked everything about the hostel.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I had a wonderful experience at La casa de Dante, a hostel in Guanajato. I enjoyed a very nice private room, and would love to go back for an extended stay in the future. As soon as I arrived, I felt like part of the family. Breakfast was delicious and abundant--more like an "almuerzo". It is served daily from 8 to 10 AM. Irene, the hostess, and Dante, her son, who is a university student, were friendly, helpful and shared lots of cultural insights. I met people from many different countries; each evening, we sat around and had "platicas" about Guanajato and the Mexican people in general. Irene loves to read, learn, and share her knowledge with others. She has an interesting collection of international DVDs to enjoy in the evenings.There were lots of unusual sights, picture taking opportunities and activities in town, which is about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the hostel. There were also many choices of foods in town at very reasonable prices. Going to the Mercado Hidalgo was a special treat for me. It was designed by Eiffel himself, and looks like the train station in Paris. The were lots of good buys and colorful sights. I climbed almost all the way up a ladder which leads to a clock in the tower above. The bird's eye view of Guanajato was spectacular! The Casa de Dante is just far enough from the night scene in town to enjoy a good night's sleep. It is a minning town, with lots of underground tunnels and passageways. The only downside to the trip is that one's knees must be in good shape to walk up and down all of the steps to reach the hostel, which is located on the side of a mountain. There are 176 steps to reach the hostel, and then depending on which of the four floors your room is located, another 30 or 40 or so, inside the home. The top floor of the hostel has a terrace with a breathtaking view of the colorful city below which offers a quiet and cool place to study or read.

• Liked — Staff friendliness and wonderful food.
  • Disliked — Climbing all of the stairs.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

I just returned from a one month stay in Guanajuato Mexico at La Casa de Dante while studying Spanish at one of its local language schools.

La Casa de Dante is located about a fifteen minute walk from the center of town where all of the primary action takes place.

The rooms at La Casa de Dante have private restrooms, lots of closet and storage space, a community kitchen / dining room where there is a community refrigerator and stove available. Out of the thirty students connected with the college program I went with, all of them were extremely jealous and with good reasons, having seen many of their accommodations. Two students in our program at another hostel had to sleep on the floor on mattresses. Another student’s room at another location was the size of a closet. Another student’s room across town was nice in that it was in a back house but the room was small and big enough only to stick the bunk beds in it, though it had its own restroom that is all it had.

However at La Casa de Dante, those of us staying there had big beds (I had a King sized bed), the girls staying there from the program had a bigger room with two king size beds, plenty of closet space and drawers, private restrooms, and the other things previously mentioned. But, we also had little extras that I think are essential to a hostel in Guanajuato Mexico, for instance - La Case de Dante, provided us with a Sparklet's dispenser sized water bottle in each of our rooms. This saved us a lot of money, because you can't drink the sink water in Mexico without getting sick. All the other 30 students in our program had to buy tons of personal bottled water which cost them a lot of money. Since we had our own new giant bottle of water in our rooms, we could simply refill our personal sized bottles. My first room dispenser bottle lasted me 3 1/2 weeks, and once empty, they quickly placed a new bottle into my room. The girls staying in another room were sharing a room and so their bottle of water ran out after 2 weeks, but again, La Casa de Dante replaced their bottle the following day.

I had my own private room that had a small balcony that over looked the city, very excellent view at night considering La Casa de Dante is on the side of a hill.

Other things that impressed me about my month stay at La Casa de Dante were the friendliness of the family the runs the hostel, the excellent breakfast provided each morning (My package also included lunch or dinner), the awesome roof top view, and the accessibility to an internet connected computer, a DVD player and video machine, and having access to a community kitchen as mentioned above.

None of the other thirty students in our program who were located at the other hostels in Guanajuato had a water bottle in their room, nor a community kitchen, TV, DVD & video player, nor an on premise internet accessible computer.

However, as with most of Guanajuato - it is not exceptionally handicapped accessible. Those requiring a wheelchair, crutches, or with walking difficulties may want to reconsider visiting Guanajuato since the street sidewalks are made of stones and are very narrow and there are few handicap access ramps on the street curbs.

La Casa de Dante is located on the side of a hill and there are two ways to access it, either from the top coming down the stairs or from the bottom coming up the stairs.
The stairs according to one of my house mates were approximately 178 stairs up which are made of stone. My first couple of days had my calves hurting, but after a week, I found myself running up the stairs at school. No matter where you stay in Guanajuato, there are going to be lots of stairs for you. At La Casa de Dante, this is its only drawback, but compared to the other entire hostels guest I received feedback from, the stairs at La Casa de Dante are a little burden to bare.

But perhaps what impressed me more than anything else was when I got sick after a trip to Leon. I was sick in bed for 5 days and sick a total of two weeks, (A good reason to not drink water from the sink or unknown eating places and avoid eating out at places there are not a lot of other foreigners eating at). As soon as the family at La Casa de Dante found out I was sick, they arranged for a doctor to make a house call which only cost me about $10 US dollars. They also took care of getting me the medicine I needed from the pharmacy, prepared meals for me based on the advice of the doctor and served me in my room, and one of them checked in on me every two to three hours until I was well enough to come down and eat in the main kitchen. (This was priceless! As a visitor in a foreign country, you can not ask for anything better, than to live somewhere that you know they care enough to take care of you if you get sick)

Definitely one of the best places to stay in Guanajuato, Mexico

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Hostal Casa de Dante? Share your experiences!