“THE WORST HOTEL IN MEXICO” 1 of 5 stars

Real de Minas Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Nejayote No. 17, Guanajuato 36000, Mexico   |
Ranked #28 of 59 Hotels in Guanajuato
Beirut, Lebanon
“THE WORST HOTEL IN MEXICO”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

This hotel is a complete disaster. I have traveled in more than 50 countries in all continents, in all different kinds of hotels (from budget to five stars). During all my travels, I haven't seen such a poor customer service and unhelpful staff .

As another review mentioned, their staff indeed need a complete make over.

My stay here was one problem after another. Not only they mishandled my reservation, when I arrived they had me waiting (and my one year old baby) at 9pm in the lobby for one hour. They then obliged me to take a room 25% more expensive than my booking.
One needs extra blankets? a bed for a baby (previously requested)? none is available... And one needs to ask at least three times (in Spanish) before they start acting upon a request.
Internet is not working. You can't change money, because they claim they don't have pesos...
Some rooms are nice, but there is nowhere you can put your clothes. Hot water is irregular, etc. etc. A two stars hotel would do better than this.

Their staff just don't give a damn about their clients. If you want to enjoy Guanajuato, give yourself a favor and avoid Real de Minas.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I traveled to Guanajuato with my husband and my in-laws. We liked the hotel since the very beginning. Well located, accessible price, breaksfast is included -and its buffet breakfast is really good-. The personel is very friendly and they speak good english. What I disliked a little bit about this place is that some external touristic providers offer their "tour" services to the hotel guests -which has nothing to do with the hotel itself-. Looks like these external touristic service providers have some kind of deal with some employees of the hotel. So we had agreed a certain rate with the guy for a tour through the city and at the end of the tour he wanted to charge us more money to what we already agreed in the begininning -I think this was because he saw my inlaws were foreigners, and I am mexican so I got a good deal-. Anyways, we did not pay him what he wanted, because we had already agreed on a price. Don't let yourself be cheated on the price by these external touristic service providers.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lambertville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

I stayed here for a business isit to the university. The hotel is charming and well located. I was in room 366. There were some very nice features. The room was spacious and the location was nice. The price was reasonable. The hotel facilities were good.

But there were some issues:

- The outlets were not grounded in any of the plugs. So could not recharge my computer
- No lights at the end of hallway so very difficult to put key in lock
- difficult to find the ligt switches
- The breakfast served was pretty burned (had the huevos rancheros)
- Room next door had loud small children and walls seemed very thin

I would stay again and the city is very beautiful.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed here February 26th to the 28th. It is very easy to get to if you are driving. It's a medium sized hotel I guess, and has a real old school feel to it. Our purpose was to explore the city and this place served as a great base camp. It is located about a 10-15 walk from the Jardin Union, the nucleus of the city. The walk is safe and sidewalks will take you all the way there. The staff weren't super friendly, but they were useful and informative. It was weird that our TV didn't have a remote control. You have to go down to reception and sign one out - very Mexican and strange. The rooms were clean, quiet, and plain. Nothing special. The shower was awesome, very great pressure and temperature control. Overall, I recommend this place for those of you who need a solid and economical place to stay while getting to know Guanajuato.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

Hotel a bit far from city center, correct service. My aparment was dark, but otherwise it covers the basics of an average hotel,

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Hilversum, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

This hotel is located a 15 minute walk to the center. You can take the bus in front of the hotel (1 Euro) or you can order a cab (5/6 euro) to the center. We had the presidential suite here, spacious, clean and quiet. The restaurant is a simple one, the pool is bit small. But a nice atmossphere. I would return there when i go back at Guanajuato.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

On a car tour of the historic Bajio cities we decided to stay here in view of its 5 star status - what a mistake! The promised laundry service did not materialise and the restaurant was a joke.

This hotel and its staff need a complete makeover - easily the worst hotel we found in Mexico.

The tourist authorities of Guanajuato should intervene to ensure that hotels on offer meet certain standards!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everythin, especially the lack of a plug in the hand basin in the bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Real de Minas Hotel? Share your experiences!