“An Incredible View” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“An Incredible View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked our room based upon the view and what appeared to be a relativelty newly constructed hotel. Instead of choosing the basic room with a balcony, we chose one of the two "terrace rooms" and certainly had no regrets about that choice. Initially, we were confused by the arrangement in the pay parking lot located above the hotel but once we found out that with the special arranged rate of $90MXN, we certainly didn't have the objections voiced by others. The real eye opener was the lengthy stairs one had to carry their personal items (luggage, etc) down to the hotel! Once you check in, you are provided with a pass for the funicular (reciprocating cable car that takes one down to or returns you from the Jardin de la Union below). As a hint, we learned our lesson by carrying everything down and talked to the girl when checking out to get someone to carry our baggage up the stairs. Should we decide to stay here again, we will pack lightweight overnight bags.

Once again, we ran into the quite typical hard beds often found in Mexico. In this particular case, they attempted to use box springs with a small pillowtop and it didn't cut it with us! Other than this, our extremely modern contemporary room was extremely clean, the shower was what one would expect with plenty of hot water and pressure and the terrace was a real plus!

When one visits Guanajuato, they learn very quickly about the altitude, the hills/stairs and just how good of shape they either are or are not in!

It is a great experience but be prepared to deal deal with the altitude and the hills!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Indio, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hotel was amazing, the view was incredible, the funicular takes you up to the hotel and you can't get tired of the view while you're being taken up. It included free breakfast at Casa Valadez, it was the best free breakfast I have ever had. The staff was very helpful. They kept our luggage safe after check out, they recommended places to visit... We loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Came to Guanajuato in June 2013 on a road trip from Mexico City, The Hotel is located close to Pipila Statue ( walking distance). It is located on a hill overlooking the city. The Stay included breakfast at a local restaurant ( which was good) it also Included a punch card for the funicula ( Cart) that does down to the downtown area. staff was friendly. Great Romantic location

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

the hotel is very nice, the room and the facilities. Is very small, but yes, has a great view (if you like to see the roof of the houses)...
there isn't phone in the room so you have to go to the front desk anytime you need something.
rooms are very clean.
the hot water works.
the agreement with the parking lot really sucks...I always have to pay more than what the hotel said... times are from 9am to 9pm and from 9pm to 9am...so if you enter at 8pm they charge you the hour plus the charge of the next 12hours...I dont know you are supposed to pay 10 bucks and you finishing paying more than that.....
if you are hungry at the 10pm so let me tell you that you are in troubles. the funicular is closed at that time, the hotel doesn't have restaurant, you can't take your car becasue the parking lot is closed too...so if you want to eat somethig at night be prepared.
the food in the restaurant in front of Juarez Teather was more than delicious...
BUT PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG THE HOTEL IS NICE....

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chihuahua, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night, arriving at around 2pm but we had to wait for our room, check in hour is kind of late. The room was very nice, they have the option of room with a big window or a terrace for a higher price which I think has no need since the "window" room has a small terrace with two chairs and the view is as well amazing. The bad thing is you have to access either from the center through the funicular or by the upper part, which implies going down some stairs and if you have a lot of luggage is kind of annoying. The personal was nice and friendly, we got breakfast at a nice restaurant and I think for good quality this was the cheapest we found.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Well I was in the city after almost 8 years of not seeing my family in a nearby city. My cousin wanted to celebrate her birthday in Guanajuato so off we go. Did a little research and decided on Balcon del Cielo because of the view of the city. I had a little trouble finding the place at first, but I asked around in the local shops and finally found it. I got a room with a terrace (I think it was #1) Well originally I was going to stay only one night but I had such a good time in town the I stayed an extra 2 nights. My room was big, comfortable and very elegant. The view from my private terrace was amazing, especially at night. My experience was over all nice but I can see if someone with a family (and a lot of luggage) might have some trouble and complaints due to the fact that the hotel does not have its own parking lot and didn’t have anyone to help with luggage. I had one small suitcase so it was no big deal for me. I got free rides on the Funicular to up and down the hill for free. No onsite restaurant but I got free vouchers for breakfast for 2 at a restaurant not far (5 min walk) from the bottom of the Funicular. Over all it was a nice experience but I thought I was a bit over priced due to lack of service in some areas.

Room Tip: Do your self a favor get a room with a terrace, you wont regret it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We were so pleased to be at this hotel, overlooking downtown, beautiful during daylight hours but magical at night! It was the flower festival downtown, the start of Semana Santa, incredibly crowded and hectic, and very noisy, but we could retreat to our quiet oasis on the hillside. The room was large and bright, and very modern. We had a nice little balcony overlooking the center of town. They have solved the sewer odors that others mentioned and we had no problem getting hot water for our showers.
We loved riding the funicular (tkts courtesy of the hotel) down to town each morning and really recommend the wonderful breakfasts included in the room rate at the restaurant Casa Valadez, on the Jardin de la Union.,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Balcon del Cielo? Share your experiences!