“Expensive for service offered” 2 of 5 stars

La Abadia Tradicional
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Javier, Col. Centro, 1, Guanajuato 36020, Mexico   |
Ranked #43 of 58 hotels in Guanajuato
Quito, Ecuador
“Expensive for service offered”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010 via mobile

There are 3 sections in this hotel and
although I was of a group booked in advance,
they placed me in the highest section which
is way on top of a huge hill (4th floor and the
elevator only reach up to the 3rd).
The staff for the most part are pretty rude
although I am Spanish speaking person!
The room was dark and freezing. There was
no remote control for the TV. Wireless was not
working and althoug it was reported at the
front desk, nothing happen. Just came down to
the lobby were signal is better was their advice.
No real solution, as into the lobby was not
working either. Ummm, just in this moment
there is a problem with the network they said.
At room there is too much noise coming from
elevator and service people walking around.
Conclusion, rate is too high for quality and
service provided.

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Herefordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

Our room was on the ground floor with the only window giving onto the lobby so we had to keep the curtains closed for privacy. The lighting was poor and the room dark and cold (there is no heating or air conditioning). The room next door had a windowless bathroom and was damp. There was a lot of noise from the lobby but it was quiet at night.

Apart from that, there is a large covered lobby and a lovely seating area outside. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was disappointing and dinner OK.

The rooms are very reasonably priced and, if you are planning to stay here, go for one on the first floor or above. Most of the rooms on all floors look onto the lobby area but some look onto the street. Both our room and the shower were a good size.

• Stayed February 2010
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I went to Guanajuato with my husband and his parents. We wanted a comfy, clean room to come back to after sightseeing during the day.

The hotel offered us a breakfast buffet included in the price, but we asked if they could lower the price if we didn't get the breakfast and they dropped the tariff by about 10 pounds. So we were quite happy. We did have a couple of meals off the menu in the restaurant which were nice enough. Our only complaint was the price of the wine - extortionate compared to what we experienced elsewhere, we chose to have beer instead.

We stayed in the section at the top of the hill just opposite the Camino Real. It was very convenient as we were driving, since it is almost impossible to drive into Guanajuato City Centre. The hotel has valet parking. We took the bus into town everyday and came back late at night with no problems. The bus price is 4.50 mexican pesos single, about 25 pence. There are nice convenience shops around for water and light refreshments if needed. However, take provisions to either eat in town or accept you will be eating in the hotel restaurant as there are not many options close by.

The rooms were a bit dark, but comfortable enough. In one of the rooms we had, the toilet was blocked before we arrived. And as other reviewers noticed, bath towels are a little on the small side. The bathroom could definitely do with more lightbulbs as the shower area is quite dark.

Overall, it is a convenient hotel, but slightly overpriced.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Monticello, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at The La Abadia. NICE POINTS:The grounds were lovely. Beautifully kept with lots of flowers Trees etc. The staff/porters was friendly and helpful with carrying our bags up to our rooms and down again upon departure. lots of stairs so this was a necessary positive point on their part. They put out Free bottled water and candies every day outside our room. Room service was available from the restaurant. A really GREAT Breakfast Buffet available from 7;00AM(I think) till nOON. DELICIOSO!..The Maitre'de was amazing! Most elegant and charming gentlemen.
We did have a few problems but I think over all it deserves a good recommendtion.
The bathroom toilet malfunctioned but they sent someone to repair ASAP...
It is not far to the plaza and is a fairly close walking distance or by taxi. Nice views of the city at night from my balcony window..Guanojuato is a magical place....of course it helps if you speak Spanish not too many fo the staf speaks English....lol....i had a nice enjoyable stay and would recommend it. i felt SAFE and secure here. Met some great Contacts for my work tambien!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
GDL , Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Really good hotel , service was exceptional , food was ok . The location is the best (15 minutes walk to downtown) . Maybe the towels where a little bit small , but im a big men , LoL .

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Statesville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

I'd acually give the hotel 3.5 if I were allowed.

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel. I have been to Guanajuato several times and am familiar with the locations of the 3 different sections of this hotel. I would definitely recommend the "tradicional" if you want to walk to el Centro (despite what other reviews have said, it is quite an easy walk - 10-15 minutes to the market and about 15-20 minutes to downtown - via the street or one of the tunnels. You can also walk to the mummy museum easily. Walking here is half the fun because you see so many things along the way. Plus, cabs are plentiful and cheap and local buses are well labeled.)

Check-in was easy, and the rate was what I had been quoted on the phone. The rooms were decent, certainly nothing exciting. The carpet (a flat commercial type) was old but clean, and the furnishings were old but in good order (in keeping with "the abbey" theme, the furniture looks hand-crafted) One thing I particularly liked about my room was the large shower - it was about 3x6 feet tiled. The water was always hot and had great pressure (the best showers I've had in Mexico) The rooms are not air conditioned (they did provide a fan), there is no remote to the tv, there is some noise in the open courtyard that almost all of the rooms face, etc., etc. This is beautiful Mexico - enjoy it! Oh, and the free wireless internet was awesome and fast.

Food was at the hotel restaurant was variable. I didn't feel like the breakfast buffet was worth $100p (you'd do well to walk right across the street to the Camino Real and pay $160p for their amazing breakfast buffet), but dinner was great. The prices for dinner were reasonable, the service was attentive, and sitting out in the open air verandah was very nice and cool.

Most of the staff does not speak much English. Welcome to Mexico (most of the people in the US don't speak Spanish - tah dah) The staff always tried speaking a little English, but I speak Spanish, so when I answered in Spanish they always defaulted to what they are most comfortable with. Don't let this be a reason not to stay here. (I could get on a soapbox about some (not all) rude American travelers who think the whole world should speak English and everything should be just like home ... sorry, I got on it...ok, off the soapbox now)

Overall, I would have no problems recommending this hotel. If you're expecting the Ritz, you'll be disappointed. If you're expecting a nice stay close to town with a definitely Mexican feeling, you'll love it. Great value and service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We have stayed at several hotels around central Mexico and couldn't find a better hotel for the money!
The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. My girlfriend and I had a great experience!
We ate at two of their restaurants and enjoyed great food at accessible prices! I was surprised about the flavor and quality of the meals!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Abadia Tradicional? Share your experiences!