“No Idea Why is ranked so high” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 157 Restaurants in Guanajuato
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Tortola
“No Idea Why is ranked so high”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I eat all over the world and am are often in Guanajuato / Leon area . I wanted one of those wonderful restaurants in the area to take friends to and go to if I wanted a great meal . The food was dreadful and I like Mexican food . There were 4 of us and it was agreed no-one wanted to back . ( Two Mexicans included) The wait staff were wonderful . The manager a little difficult . I cannot see this restaurant staying near the top of the list for long . Not worth the money .

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Tucson, Arizona
“Very disappointing, especially considering the top reviews!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were rather disappointed with our choice of this restaurant for a birthday dinner for my special lady, especially considering the great reviews we read. First off, I made reservations a week in advance and the general director, Jesus Cardenas assured me he would reserve his best table and "personally attend to us". When we arrived the hostess couldn't find our reservation and kept us standing at the entrance for several minutes until she spoke with senior Cardnes. When we were finally seated the "spectulator views" weren't nearly as good as thoses from our fabulous B & B, Casa Zuniga. Senior Cardnes never even greeted us at our table the whole evening, and the table was nothing special. Not even a birthday wish, nor a candle on our table was offered for her birthday!

As for the food and the service: My girlfriend's birthday dish was a chile relano that was tasty, but served cold, which detracted a great deal from her enjoyment. My pork dish was very good and extremely tender, served in a casserole. Our shared salad was very nice and our ice cream desert was fine. The table serverce was very good. But for the price you pay at this establishment, I would definitely not return, nor would I recommend it to anyone visiting Guanajuanto.

Visited May 2013
Guanajuato, Mexico
“A sublime experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've lived in Guanajuato for many years now. I've eaten in dozens and dozens of restaurants throughout this continent. Las Mercedes is easily in the top 10 all-time restaurant experiences ever. Sure, it's a little more expensive than your average GTO fare. But I've received nothing but top-notch service, spectacular food, and amazing drink combinations.

I highly recommend this restaurant for any special occasion or when you simply must have that exquisite meat cut that offers no compromises in location, flavor, and service.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tortola
“Thought it would be a lot better!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I read all the reviews and thought this will be the place having not settled on a restaurant in the area including leon to be somewhere that I craved to go . I was spolit last week eating in some amazing restaurants ( not in this area) and was hoping this would be the same standard or better. The restaurant itself is small and rustic , I liked that . I did find the menu limited , we all choose different things and noone said WOW you have to try this. The food was good , not great . I had tuna seared . Really it was tough and maybe I should not have ordered that inland! Our waitress was very nice. A musican started playing and we were just enjoying him and he was asked to leave after about of 30 mins with lots of disruption of moving furnature . A bit weird. So I will be still on the search for my amazing restaurant in Leon / Guanajuto and none of us have any urges to go back . For those non Mexican you have to like mole , cactus and traditional mexican food to go there in the first place. Im happy to pay good money for a great meal , I did not feel this was worth it . It seems to be the drinks ( which we did not have) and size of the place that is getting people attension now reading back through reviews .

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Reviews are right!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I choosen this place to celebrate my last night after a whole month in guanajuato. We book a table for 13 people. This place is much more expensive than any other restaurant in town, but food is really great, place is posh, service is good and atmosphere great. Also view over Guanajuato is really pleasant. It's small restaurant far away from the noise of downtown Guanajuato, don't forget to book a table before going there.

• Visited March 2013