“A great location,a great event, and a superb host!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dickinson Guest House B&B

Save Saved
You added Dickinson Guest House B&B to your Saves list
Dickinson Guest House B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle San Uriel 338 | Colonia Chapalita/Zona Minerva, Guadalajara 45000, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 47 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
South Bend, Indiana
“A great location,a great event, and a superb host!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

After looking at our itinerary for the annual jazz festival in Guadalajara, Mexico this year, my husband reminded me that our friends had asked ME if I would see if our booked hotel had rooms left for them so we could stay together. We usually go together, but there was a glitch with scheduling and it was not until pretty late in the game that they were able to join us.
The hotel we had planned on staying at did not have the space for all of us, so while looking for another cost effective substitution for our friends (as we could not get our deposit back), our good friends came across a Bed and Breakfast that was even closer to the venue we would be going too. The owner James was more than helpful with helping us with a better situation than we had ever expected! A beautiful home in a very nice area of Guadalajara became our week's stay for the festival. He even deducted the amount of the deposit we lost at hotel X.
A very large and inviting home was more than we could have expected, never having stayed in a Bed and Breakfast before. We were welcomed at the front gate before the taxi driver had our luggage out of the car. We had margaritas and a great guacamole that made us feel at home right away. We knew we had made the right choice. James keeps a lot of pamphlets and things to do in Guadalajara handy for his guests. We have been here before, but had not had so much information-or should I say help with the information before as we are not all fluent Spanish speakers. Our two rooms had great beds in them and it was so quiet at night, once we got to bed! There was only one other couple there that was there for the same event, so all turned out to be a big family at home and even having a few dinners together. At the house, the kitchen was open for us to use. That was a nice treat since we were able to fix some late night sandwiches. Breakfast was when we wanted it and even what we wanted. It was not like a restaurant menu, but we had a choice of what we wanted if told in advance. It was another great touch of hospitality.
All in all, the festival was great. And the fun of a private house that had lots of space and a really fun host made it one of the best jazz festivals so far. Thank you James, Leo, and Otilia- a great time had by us all. We look forward to next year!

Room Tip: We were very happy with our rooms. The other couple had a room in the center of the house and said i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House B&B, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hey, the Jazz festival is getting better every year. I'm so glad you stayed with us and that you felt comfortable. I know the logistics were important to you. So, as I see a review, I feel happy that all was good for you here at our humble home. Keep us posted as to your travel plans back to GDL for any other visits. I know you travel a lot. And again, thank you for taking the time to remember us even though you had not planned on staying in this side of the city. It really is a pretty location. I trust you will make it your home again soon!
James Dickinson

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had another wonderful experience here in June of this year. I had stayed here before for a family wedding but did not have the address. My daughter who made the first reservation sent me the information. It is long overdue, but I felt that it was important to let travelers know what a friendly environment they will be missing if they choose a hotel. James and Leo are still great hosts, and take the steps to insure you have everything you need, yet let you have so many personal privileges in the house as if it were yours. We had two rooms in the front of the house that felt as comfortable and private as before. I was so busy on my last trip that I took that part for granted! There was a couple in one of the other rooms that had breakfast much earlier than us that we only saw each other in passing. They were very nice, but that is how big this house felt to us all! I will always remember the thoughtfulness and little touch's that these two pros use to make all guests feel at home and even eat when they want! The kitchen is open 24/7 and breakfast can be chosen. Who else does that, without a room service fee? They certainly have broken the mold on the Bed and Breakfast experience-hands down. I really do feel welcome here, and feel that I can speak for my family as well. We will be back for sure and maybe have time to take that excursion to Leon, Guanawato(?) that you mentioned was the city to purchase leather. Thanks again for making travel fun again. First impressions really do make a difference, and your smiles brought that comfort right back from the time we entered your lovely home. We look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: We only had two rooms this time, but all are nice. We were 4 adults, so our front rooms with balcon...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tina,
It was great to see you back sooner than expected. It always makes for a much easier settle in if you know your way around as you know. And I did see that you knew where to get just about anything you needed. Another thing I meant to mention was tipping the maid. Although she is paid well, it is always appreciated when a guest takes the time to leave a little something extra for ironing some clothes or washing a load of laundry. I takes away from her usual duties,, but it makes us both happy that guests have that kindness in them. Otilia is good and I do not want to lose her. Just a nice second visit. Hope to see you again one day. We have lot's of parties in Guadalajara. I will send you updates.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were a group of 10 people, from 25 to 50 years old and rented the "Casa Dinckinson" for about 10 days.
Everything was amazing, the house is great and very big, with everything you could need in it (kitchen tools, travel guides, internet access, printers...) The beds are awesome and you can easily fit 10 people very comfortably.
The house is located in a very nice neighborhood, with lots of restaurants and bars, and about 15 minuts from downtown by car.
I really felt like home there as nothing useful was missing, I highly recommand Dickinson's Guest House for groups of friends or big families who just look for a very good quality/price rate housing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
As your rental was for all four + bedrooms, I will just say thank you for your kind assessment of the property. It is a B&B first, but if people want the whole house, it makes for a great short vacation for me as well. Thank everyone for choosing my home for your stay here. And even though this is a large house and you had more that 8 people, I see that it can be done easily if I change the layout a bit. I see you must have missed the other 2 bathrooms that are in the house. There are 4 in total, enough for a few more guests.
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The house was very well situated in the city, very clean (daily housekeeping), and welcoming.
There is a nice patio to have a quiet breakfast in the morning, a nice leaving room and a couple of bathrooms (a main one and a smaller one, both upstairs to share. Also one in the biggest bedroom). Plenty of space in each bedroom
We went as a group of 10, and had a wonderful stay, having several sets of keys made it very easy for each of us to be fairly independant during the week!

I would like to thank James for letting 2 of us stay a few hours to catch our early flight the next day (for free),

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House B&B, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I am sure all of your friends were as happy to see you return to this city for a visit. Thank you for your stay and complementing staff, which is often overlooked. I wish I could have met all in your party as it sounds like you had a great time in Guadalajara. You were the perfect group for the stay. I especially thank you for taking the time to thank the service staff personally. They were more than happy to tell me of how much less there was to do, with many of your party taking the time to make them feel appreciated. I know that flights are often late or delayed. It is never a problem for guests to relax and not be rushed out like cattle- as in some hotels. Being flexible in these matters have served me well, by having several return guests. Thank you very much.
Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a week at Jame's house and we had a very great time. The house is very clean, comfortable and beautiful. There are all the amenities. The neighborhood is very calm and safe. We enjoyed a lot the city of Guadalajara. I liked the place and I recommend it to anyone who wants to visit Guadalajara!

• Stayed March 2013
It is a special treat to read such kind words from those who rent the entire house. There are so many people that would not have the time to send that information for other travelers to see. I trust your flight home was uneventful- as travel is not what it once was! Thank you so much.
Warmest regards,
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just returned from Guadalajara and stayed at this guest house for the second time. We had also stayed at his previous home twice. There's always the option of staying at a hotel but we prefer this home for the privacy, location, and hospitality. James is a very good host, he makes sure we have everything we need for our stay. I have traveled to Guadalajara for the past ten years and have seeing many parts of the city, taking that into consideration, this is a nice part of town. At night the street is very quiet and believe me I've stayed downtown previously and it was not quiet at night! I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
There is nothing better than word of mouth for advertising. And for someone who has stayed here 4 times including my first home, it is always a pleasure to see guest really feel at home at all times. Thank you for the kind words. We look forward to your next visit!
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I recently accompanied my daughter and her husband to Guadalajara for a family wedding. I did no where we were staying, but was made to feel at home immediately by the two owners of a wonderful Bed and Breakfast.
Upon arrival, James and Leonardo were there to welcome us with bags in tow! They were left in the entry room as we were brought into a very vibrant and eclectic living room for margaritas! I did not know that my daughter had mentioned that I liked them, but not blended. I suppose they are served often at these specialty lodgings, but the fact that they were as I liked them was a surprise that was eventually shared with me by my son-in-law! Our bags were taken upstairs to our rooms during this time, so when we went upstairs we were ready for a quick nap before heading out to dinner. We chose a place nearby that was near Chapalia park. The neighborhood was beautiful and the restaurant, La Pasta was excellent! When we got back to the house, our family members came over and we had a wonderful time catching up and hearing plans for the wedding. I have to say that the time we spent at this B&B, everything ws made to feel so personal. The wedding was as planned to a great event and our time at this very friendly home will be remembered fondly. Than you guys and Otilia for making us feel so welcomed in Guadalajara after a long absence!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hospitality has been a profession for many years. I must say that it is always easier when the guest is as pleasant and fun as the host! Hope to see you on another visit to this house with all of your requirements and a few surprises.
Warm regards,
James

Been to Dickinson Guest House B&B? Share your experiences!