“Great Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dickinson Guest House B&B

Save Saved
You added Dickinson Guest House B&B to your Saves list
Dickinson Guest House B&B
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Calle San Uriel 338 | Colonia Chapalita/Zona Minerva, Guadalajara 45000, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 47 Guadalajara B&B and Inns
Sunnyvale, California
“Great Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I recently accompanied my daughter and her husband to Guadalajara for a family wedding. I did no where we were staying, but was made to feel at home immediately by the two owners of a wonderful Bed and Breakfast.
Upon arrival, James and Leonardo were there to welcome us with bags in tow! They were left in the entry room as we were brought into a very vibrant and eclectic living room for margaritas! I did not know that my daughter had mentioned that I liked them, but not blended. I suppose they are served often at these specialty lodgings, but the fact that they were as I liked them was a surprise that was eventually shared with me by my son-in-law! Our bags were taken upstairs to our rooms during this time, so when we went upstairs we were ready for a quick nap before heading out to dinner. We chose a place nearby that was near Chapalia park. The neighborhood was beautiful and the restaurant, La Pasta was excellent! When we got back to the house, our family members came over and we had a wonderful time catching up and hearing plans for the wedding. I have to say that the time we spent at this B&B, everything ws made to feel so personal. The wedding was as planned to a great event and our time at this very friendly home will be remembered fondly. Than you guys and Otilia for making us feel so welcomed in Guadalajara after a long absence!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House B&B, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hospitality has been a profession for many years. I must say that it is always easier when the guest is as pleasant and fun as the host! Hope to see you on another visit to this house with all of your requirements and a few surprises.
Warm regards,

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed 7 days at Dickinson Guest House. I was there for cosmetic surgery with Dr. Fernando Guerrerosantos (whom James, DGH Owner, has an excellent rapport with). I chose Dickinson Guest House because it is a very short ride to-and-from the office of ‘Dr. Fernando’ (as he is fondly known of because of his famous father Jose Guerrerosantos, who PIONEERED cosmetic surgery in Guadalajara!). Dr. Fernando’s reputation and credentials are well respected world-wide. The hospital was also only about a 15 minute ride away from the house, and was a first class facility. The house is also close to the historical center of Guadalajara in downtown GDH, where James took me to shop for friends and family while recovering.
Once there, I realized just what a perfect choice I had made, as the neighborhood is nice and quiet, but just a stones throw from the hustle and bustle of the city! James is American, yet knows his way around this Spanish speaking country and their customs-that made me feel very much at ease. This is not the Mexico I have been reading about…far from it!
My expectations were exceeded on every level - the house was amazing, the accommodations were perfect for recovery, the food was delicious, plentiful, and wonderfully prepared. The owner, James, was great (he let me be when I needed him to, and was there in a snap when I needed him to be!). I think my favorite thing was my private balcony and en-suite bathroom. However, the flat screen HD television with many channels in English, and a BOSE sound system in my room was up there pretty high also. Oh yes, another fabulous amenity? James provides cellular phones for use in case you leave and need to keep in touch with him (at no extra charge!) and also has a land line for calls to the U.S. (again, at no extra charge!). Speaking of no extra charge...there are NO hidden charges here; it is all inclusive, period. Amazing!
All in all, I give Dickinson Guest House 5 stars, and definitely will be staying there again on my next trip. Even more-so due to the good relationship between James and Dr. Fernando...I will be a repeat customer of both!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. It is nice to have such a great surgeon that took care of you in the world class hospitals that are here in Guadalajara. Your stay here was a fun time, as your positive attitude and love of a great body and face mad your healing so much faster. It was really nice to have a happy medical guest to give the special touches-that make one feel as if they are in fact in their own country while healing. And at the same time I had fun showing you around this fun city. I look forward to seeing you another time for just a tourist vacation!
EDMONTON, ALBERTA, CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

It had been almost a year since stay here at the guest house, the last time I was here in Guadalajara it was booked for that weekend, but this time back there was a room available. Everything was great and the room ready when I arrived. There was also ample room in the property to park my Jeep out of the sun. I like this area, there are lots of good restaurants (trendy and basic) and on Sundays there are many artists selling their works at the glorieta (circle/roundabout) just a few blocks away. I've bought many items there in the past, great prices and you can negotiate! The owner James is always very accomodating and if you are lucky he'll have made a big pot of stew or curry lentils. I'll be back soon no doubt.

Room Tip: The best room and the one I usually stay in, is the one with the private bathroom at the front of th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House B&B, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thanks for the nice review! It is not always easy to return the favor at this time of year. I am happy that you are a return guest as many are and look forward to seeing you again from the other side of the mountain! Don't forget my avocado season and of course my lentil concoctions that i have out for my later arriving guests! Sometimes I think a Dinner and Bed Guest House might be a good idea! Until next time...
James Dickinson
Fountain Inn, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

It is always a fun get-away to visit some friends in Guadalajara. This time we did not want to stay right in the downtown area even though it would be a mainstay of many adventures. We made a good choice by a reccommondation to stay at The Dickinson Guest House in Chapalita. it is only minutes to the historical center , close to the famous statue of the Roman Minerva. We had fun at venues like the teatro Degollado and so many travelling groups from other parts of Mexico during the day. But we really enjoyed coming back to a wonderful home in a quiet neighborhood to enjoy a good nights sleep, after a bottle of wine on our balcony!
James, our host has a talent of givig you privacy, while at the same time always being available to answer any questions or just visit with. He gives all guests a tour of the house and makes sure that the items you like for breakfast are stocked and that you are welcome to use the kitchen at will. We were there for two days before meeting a young couple who came in late one evening. We ended up making sandwiches at 3AM and having a great time getting to know them. This is a truly wonderful home to really feel at home in Guadalajara. It is in a beautiful neighborhood and yet is still close to everything. It was a good choice from the usual downtown hotel we might have chosen. We highly recommend a stay here and will be returning in Feb 2012.

Room Tip: pick a room not on the street side
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James D, Owner at Dickinson Guest House B&B, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Hello S.C.,
It was nice that you chose to make a diversion from your usual choices in the historical core. I appreciate your visit and hope to see you again when you visit in February (2013)! It is always fun to check out new properties. I am happy and thankful that you took time out of your busy schedule to give travelers another view of what we try to acheive here that is different than any other B&B in the city. Thank you again, and hope to see you soon.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have just returned from a nine day stay at the Dickinson Guest House in Guadalajara. This was my second time there this year and my third time overall. The first was great, the second better and the most recent was every bit as good as the first two. Jim Dickinson is the host and knows his business. The house is immaculate and delightfully decorated. The neighborhood is just beautiful with well-maintained properties, colorful trees and shrubbery and two gorgeous parks within one block of Jim's house. Jim has significant high end restaurant experience and prepares fantastic food of your choosing. What more could one ask for. If you are traveling to Guadalajara, the Dickinson Guest House is place you must consider.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House B&B, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello Again! It's always nice to have you and your friends here. And I must tell you that I do appreciate the reviews. I know people are happy when they leave, but I also know that people are busy and just forget! Out of site- out of mind? Right? I know you remember our talks. It is just how it happens. Again, I was happy to see you and C and hope you both have a wonderful Holiday season! Sorry my response is tardy, but I am fully acclimated to this way of slowing down.....just not this time of year! Thank you so much!
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Guest House is very well located, spotless and with all the amenities a traveler or working traveler might need. Jame is a fantastic host and will go out his way to make you feel at home. Very recommended!

Room Tip: Want a silent room? The purple room is inside, and the most isolated.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review! It is nice to host some people that live in Mexico. It seems as if the vast majority of guests are from other parts of the world, but I really enjoyed the two of you and your obviously happy marriage! It is so much more enjoyable to have guests who are happy travelers rather than those who like to repeat the wrong news cycles about this great part of Mexico! Thank you again!
James D
Leon, Guanajuato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

For folks who aren't familiar with Guadalajara, or a little wary of Mexican hotels (with which we have had nine years of experience), this was a unique breath of fresh air. The neighborhood is clean, safe, quiet, and beautiful. The lodging is comfortable, detail-oriented, and just feels like home. Quite comfortable. Mr. Dickinson is a great host, very friendly and accommodating. "Make yourself at home," he says. For my short stay in GDL, I couldn't have been more satisfied. I'd recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
mexicowinters, Owner at Dickinson Guest House B&B, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
I have to admit that I was surprised to even see a review from you Tod! As you were well aware, you arrived at a very busy time here at the Dickinson Guest House! I had hoped to have a longer chat with you and your business here from Leon, GTO. But it just did not seem to happen as I had planned. Thanks again for choosing the "easy access, with parking" West-End of the city for your visit. I look forward to you bringing your wife on your next visit to Guadalajara. I will make it very special for the two of you. I need to take some time off and get over to your great state of Guanajuato. It's been a few years. It is one of my favorites! Thanks again for offering an opinion here on Trip Advisor!
James

Been to Dickinson Guest House B&B? Share your experiences!