“A beautiful new jewel in Guadalajara” 5 of 5 stars

The Westin Guadalajara
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida de las Rosas 2911, Guadalajara 44530, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 115 Hotels in Guadalajara
Guadalajara, Mexico
“A beautiful new jewel in Guadalajara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

When my husband and I learned that Guadalajara was going to have a Westin just a few blocks from our apartment, we made plans to visit as soon as we could after its opening, so we could check it out for in-town getaways and guests that might come to visit us. We spend a weekend there in November of 2011 and were generally very pleased with the experience.

The hotel is packed into a tiny little parcel of land right across the street from the Expo Guadalajara in the pleasant neighborhood of Residencias del Bosque, making it not only very convenient for those attending events there, but also for accessing transportation (buses, taxis) to other parts of the city via a major avenue in the city, Avenida Mariano Otero (2 km from Plaza del Sol shopping mall, 3.4 km to Centro Magno shopping mall, 3.5 km from shops and restaurants on Avenida Chapultepec, 6 km to Colonia Providencia, 5 km to the Zona Centro, 10 km to Tlaquepaque).

The guest rooms are very comfortable, as Westin rooms usually are. Yet these are spacious, and sport a beautiful modern design in white, ecru and fern green. I especially liked the large bathrooms, with plenty of counter space and a walk-in shower that could comfortably accomodate five people at once. Water pressure and temperature were both fantastic. Although our room was only on the sixth floor, floor-to-ceiling windows facing the west afforded a lovely view of the sunset each evening.

It is unfortunate the the hotel has neither a pool nor a Jacuzzi, but several Westin properties do not. Nonetheless, the Westin Workout Gym, open 24-hours, is superb. It has several machines for cardio, a couple of weight machines, free weights, bottled water, towels and changing rooms/bathrooms right there. It is kept spotless and wonderfully cool.

The in-house restaurant (Casa de las Rosas) is as resplendent as the rest of the property, and has food that was well-prepared, well-presented and delicious. Most customers will be blown away by it. My husband and I are vegetarians however, and we found the selection for us to be somewhat limited, especially since we dined at the restaurant for nearly every meal during our stay. What they did have was not nearly as innovative as the meat dishes: guacamole, salads, fried cheese. It is a common attitude in Mexico that vegetarians do not eat much other than salads, but as Westin is a worldwide chain, I expect them to know better. Unlike other Westin hotels that we have visited, they did not seem very willing to accomodate us, not even by presenting us with options that are already found in the kitchen but are not listed on the menu as main courses.

One evening, I ordered for a side of mashed potatoes, because the ones that accompanied the steak that a friend of ours was enjoying looked delicious: golden yellow and slightly chunky. When my order arrived, they were obviously reconstituted dehydrated potatoes from a box. They tasted terrible, especially alongside what was otherwise delicious food. When I complained about them, I was given apologies and jokes, but they were neither replaced nor removed from the check.

Apart from this though, the service from the restaurant and service staff was top-notch, being both friendly and professional. In fact, the above mentioned friend wanted to sit at a table in the private dining area so that we could see the fireworks that were being set off to celebrate a Mexican holiday. I felt uncomfortable about this (the area was clearly closed off), but the service staff insisted that it would be okay and seated us with a stunning view of the pyrotechnics. It made it a very special experience for us.

Another odd incident involved being told by an employee (not in the restaurant) that the only way he would receive a tip would be if I left it in cash (as opposed to signing it to the room). I could not verify whether or not this is true. I do not know why he would say this were it not, but I hope that the hotel does not engage in such treatment of their employees, not to mention such deception of their guests.

Regarding Starwood Preferred Guest benefits: I hold SPG Gold level status, and as such, I am supposed to receive an automatic room upgrade when they are available at check-in. We stayed over a weekend when there was very low occupancy, yet we were given a room on the 6th floor. There were undoubtedly rooms available on higher floors, and probably so were some corner rooms. I just figured there was some reason that our room was considered special, even though it did not seem particularly noteworthy. Later, I asked at reception what made the 6th floor special for SPG guests and what the upgrade asset was, I was told that the person that checked us in made a mistake and failed to give us the upgrade we were due. That person offered to change our room, but by that time, we had unpacked and used the room to a degree that we felt we should just stay where we are.

Despite these relatively minor issues, we had a wonderful stay at the Westin Guadalajara, and are delighted that we have such a stellar hotel in our city. We are looking forward to going back for another in-town getaway as soon as we can.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stayed four nights, very nice. Brand new - I thought I was the first person to use the room. Nice layout of the room, plenty of closet space, plenty of counter top space in the bathroom. Very, very clean. The staff was friendly, polite, eager to help. Everyone spoke very good English. The food in the restaurant was great - I had dinner and breakfast twice - high end Mexican cuisine. The room service was fast even in the middle of the night and the food great - yummy tomato soup! I didn't use the gym, but I saw it and it looked just as nice as everything else. I really did not expect such a great hotel and was pleasantly surprised (I travel a lot and know the difference).

The only objection I have is that the hotel does not have a gift store (although the next door Hilton is about 20 feet away and has a good size store) and it does not have a pool - this was very surprising for a hotel in the city with such perfect weather.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I asked for the room on a high floor to avoid noise from the city - got a room on the 16th floor and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear ann7544

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin Guadalajara. It is a great pleasure to read, that our our associates, our room and our restaurant Casa de las Rosas surpassed your expectations.

Please accept my apology that we do not have a swimming pool in the hotel. Regarding the gift shop, we are in the process to integrate one in our hotel. Next time that we have the honor to serve you again, it should be in place.

We are looking forward to receive you soon at The Westin Guadalajara.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

A group of 20 of us stayed at the Westin Guadalajara for a friend's wedding. The hotel is brand new and it shows! Beautiful decor, great rooms with an amazing setup for all types of travelers (desk work area a big thumbs up). The staff was great at helping our group decide places to eat, drink, etc. It's located in a great neighborhood with a taxi station right in front of the hotel making it easy to travel. It's located 10 minutes from the historic downtown area. I gotta say, my friends and I were blown away by the quality of resort. Thanks Westin Guadalajara for a great stay!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Dear Robert R

It is wonderful to hear, that you and your friends enjoyed your stay at The Westin Guadalajara and that our service and our facilities were up to your expectations.

It will be a pleasure to receive you and your friends in a near future.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Brand new hotel with all the modern amenities. Wonderful staff. The best workout center I've seen in a hotel in years. Food was excellent, bar was great. Room service was a little inconsistent in the presentation of the food. Example- ceviche came with toast corners one time and chips the next time I had it. In no way did the difference take away from the ceviche, all four times I had it :) it was excellent.

Westin Guadalajara will be the only place I ever stay while I'm in town and I'm already planning my next trip!

Room Tip: Room 911 has a great view of the sunrise
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
WestinGDL, Director General at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear josh w

We really appreciate your feedback and thank you for your compliments about our amenities, our associates, our Westin Workout Gym and restaurants. It is a pleasure to receive these kind of reviews.

I am passing your comments about the ceviche to our Chef, to improve the presentation and to maintain consistency. Thank you for bringing this detail to our attention.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at The Westin Guadalajara.

Greenville SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

3 visits and all have been top shelf. Good gym, nice lobby bar to get some work done while having a drink and two restaurants to choose from. Great views from higher rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade to exec floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear jfrank250

Thank you for your compliments. We are pleased to hear, that our new Westin Workout Gym and our Restaurant Casa de las Rosas have been up to your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at The Westin Guadalajara.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011 via mobile

Great location, very close to the Expo. The staff is wonderful, certain folks like Emma (front desk), and Paola at the concierge desk, were great help with wonderful suggestions.
The only issue in this hotel is the restaurant, the service is not there yet. I was on my way to the airport, and stopped by for a quick lunch. I ends up leaving withouth eating. It was close to 2:00 PM, and it seems the staff was more concerned about when they were going to go to lunch, and who was was going with whom, instead of taking care of customers. As a wonderful hotel, with great personnel, this was really disappointing. I would not recommend the restaurant in the hotel.
This is the only reason that I rated it a 4.

• Stayed November 2011
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear DallasBenA

We really appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin Guadalajara and we will pass your congratulations to Emma and Paola.

On the other hand, I regret to hear, that we failed with the service experience at the restaurant.
I will work with our F&B team to improve this opportunity area.

We hope we can receive you back soon at The Westin Guadalajara and that even though we missed the first opportunity, you can give us another chance at our restaurant Casa de las Rosas.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

The property (although massive) is extremely beautiful; however the staff is actually what makes this hotel great. They were extremely attentive and always looking to help. I didnt once find myself waiting forever for extra towels or bell service. Kudos to Westin/Starwood for hiring the best people for their newest property.

• Stayed October 2011
WestinGDL, General Manager at The Westin Guadalajara, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Uvatia

Thank you for taking time to share with us your experiences about your recent stay at The Westin Guadalajara.

We really appreciate it to hear from our guest, that our associates went the extra step to deliver exceptional service. This is the best reward we can receive.

We hope we can be at your service in the near future at The Westin Guadalajara or at the restaurant Casa de las Rosas.

Walter Harbich

Been to The Westin Guadalajara? Share your experiences!