“It is time for Michelin to come to Mexico” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 471 restaurants in Guadalajara
Cuisines: Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Chef Darren Walsh, who has worked with some of the best contemporary Michelin starred Chefs in London, like Gordon Ramsay, Richard Neat and Pierre Koffman, offers an interesting array of contemporary fine dining selection including the deconstruction and reinterpretation of some typical regional dishes. A very unique experience!
Guadalajara, Mexico
“It is time for Michelin to come to Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

What can I say that the other reviewers have not already said other than that after living over half a century, including 20 years in Guadalajara, Mexico, and after traveling the world and enjoying some of the finest restaurants that the Americas, Europe and the Orient have to offer, yesterday I have finally had the perfect meal!
Yes of course for that experience you should expect prices well in range of the restaurants of the major cities of world, but this is still a wonderful bargain given that Chef Darren Walsh serves up Michelin Star quality food in an ambiance that is modern yet cozy. I would hope the good people at Michelin see fit to add Mexico to their network of restaurant reviews. I believe a visit to the Lulu Bistro is long overdue. I also think that he has the capability of changing expectations of dining in Guadalajara, lifting it from its provincial roots to the world stage.
When you do go (and go you must) be sure to ask about Chef Darren's Menú Degustación (Tasting menu). What a treat that was! If you ask, he will cater it to your tasting preferences. Chef Darren used this opportunity to showcase his vision, wide his culinary experiences and technical expertise married to a very real talent to cook superbly delicious and satisfying international food that will appeal to the most sophisticated and to the fussiest diner (me)!
The 10 or so plates we were served ( I admit I lost count) included all taste experiences (savoury, sweet, salt, umami), all textures and all senses. We were well and thoroughly wowed by each dish that was offered. The wine was superb and from a very well stocked cellar. The presentation, taste and service was faultless. In a word, we were pampered, spoiled and delighted until we finally had to cry enough! My main meal, the the leg of lamb, was so succulent I wanted to ask for more but then I had to fondly remember the preceding venison appetizers, of Chef Darren's version of a Mexican Tlayuda (so original), of the pork croquettes, of the tepenades, of the....... .....all were exquisite. As you can read, I am still glowing the morning after!

• Visited July 2013

85% Recommend
Ajijic
“Still an excellent restaurant choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We first went to Lula Bistro one year ago and loved it. What better way to spend over three hours on a weekday afternoon? Surprisingly, the menu and presentations are even more innovative and satisfying than a year ago. Waiters are still consistently well-trained and conversant with each course. And the presentations!! We still take our camera to photograph each detail before we obliterate the course. I even went home and purchased slate tiles for my own dining room table. As usual, I'm writing a glowing review and this restaurant is so worth it.

• Visited June 2013
Ajijic, Mexico
“True Gourmet Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Four of us went to Lula Bistro in search of a fine dining experience in Guadalajara. Past dining experiences in the U.S. made us aware of Executive Chef Darren Walsh's talents and reputation.

The restaurant is situated on a small side street off Lopez Mateos not far from the Minerva traffic circle.

Walking into the restaurant, one is greeted with a very modern and stylish area. The lounge, dining area and wine presentation areas are all reminiscent, albeit on a smaller scale, of a slick Las Vegas bistro. It should be mentioned that this is not a place for the economy minded. This is an upscale restaurant for either the reasonably well healed or people looking for a very special experience.

The menus offer a wide spectrum of gourmet choices, many of which are novel dining treasures. Appetizers are not only delicious but presented in a highly creative and attractive manner. For example, the "Chef's Treat" was a wonderful delight in very small cones hung like Christmas ornaments hung on a bonsai tree.

Between the four of us, two had wonderful Singapore presentation steaks and two of us had a very creative salmon preparation. Our main dishes were beautifully presented and complemented by a fine wine we ordered from their extensive wine list. Every thing we had, including dessert, was memorable.

After a brief heart palpitation when we received the bill, we left the restaurant completely satisfied and in the glow of a wonderful dining experience.

• Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Great experience at Lula Bistro!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Had an amazing dinner at lula bistro, the service is magnificent, everybody from the entrance to the dinner table
was so nice to us, the waiter explained to us the way the menu worked at the restaurant and they made us some recommendations
since one of our friends was allergic to lactosa they were really attent on that which was very nice from them.
The drinks were delicious they had some very tropical and refreshing drinks with and without alcohol. The lighting at our table was great
what made us appreciate a little bit better the presentation of the dishes, which was great and so natural, they use a lot of flowers
and pine, rocks and every dish is a natural landscape.. I ordered steak and frites and It was just outta this world, it was so good!
For dessert we had Fondant cake and it was very good too, I so recommend this place not only for its great flavors in food but its service its
definetly something worth paying for. I also liked the fact that you could see the kitchen from the dinning room, you could
see that is very clean and everybody works so hard to make the best out of every dish. Plus the Chef is very good looking!.

• Visited April 2013
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Urban International Chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We chose the 550 pesos/person fixed menu with the  6 times silverware and plates changing.
The Bistro's space and the food appeals for certain to a minimalist's mind and to a refined palate seeking in food culinary art forms in the preludes of tastes combination.
My 2 1/2 hours meal I would put in a category of the "Urban International Chic".
I plan to return to Lula Bistro with my husband the next time we are in Guadalajara to try the potato fries along with a dish that looked like a tall humburger we saw being served to a party who came for a quick meal.
The staff was timely attentive, but I caught two translating mistake. For example, the New York cheese cake was to my delighted surprise made from the goat cheese not the cow cheese as the presenter explained. Perhaps a menu in English would help those with a limited Spanish such as mine.

• Visited February 2013