“Great Zoo to visit” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 146 things to do in Guadalajara
More attraction details
Owner description: This large zoo contains over 2,000 animals and is located in a beautiful ravine.
Kansas City, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
“Great Zoo to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2015 NEW

My family visited the zoo two summers ago. We went to Guadalajara to visit my daughter who was attending the medical school down there. She had just had knee surgery a week before and we took her around in a wheel chair. We enjoyed the sky lift and the large tortoise area, plus the monkeys were a lot of fun. We had a really good time even though it was too much walking for an old lady like me. We took our little lunch box in with bottles of water. There was a misleading advertisement, there was no Comodo Dragon, just a Monitor Lizard. There were stairs and ramps and wheelchair rental. No electric mobilities. Very pretty zoo, lots of animals.

Visited June 2014

Laguna Niguel
“Best Zoo Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2015 NEW via mobile

This is a awesome zoo.Have to admit,I didn't expect the experience that we had here.
There is lots of hands on,including little monkeys,a chance to feed the giraffes on the Safari ride.
They also have a chairlift ride,that takes you over the Safari park.
I've been to zoos through out the US,but none come close to the experience I had here.
Food was average,take a sack lunch if possible.
Will definitely make another trip here.

Visited July 2014
4 attraction reviews
“Pretty awesome place ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2015

I really love this place is awesome to see all these animals I love the tunnel where the polar bear is. If you're planning a trip to this Zoo bring a comfortable shoes and a cap.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
44 attraction reviews
“A Pretty Good Zoo in a Fun, Mexican Style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2015

After experiencing the Guadalajara Zoo, my wife appraised me of what Tripadvisor rates as the top zoos in the world. Only one is south of the US border with Mexico. Our experience at the Guadalajara zoo was very pleasant, but this may not have been because the collection itself was excellent.

There is a moderately large amount of animals, all well cared for. Really close access, something you don't get in most North American zoos, was limited to the ring tailed lemurs, squirrel monkeys and the giraffes on the safari ride. Compared to the world class Singapore Zoo, this isn't so much. A few animals, like the American Flamingos and the King Vultures were remarkable.

People in Guadalajara, and the guide books, emphasize that this is a very large zoo. This is not really true, either. We were both sick with a cold, but we walked the whole zoo in four hours, including the aquarium and the Masai Mara ride.

Depending on your point of view, the safari ride (one of the signature attractions) was a bit of a disappointment. The guide was a typical middle class Mexican wearing a red shawl. It made me wonder if there was not a single Mexican/African available to perform this role. The road upon which the safari is run was very rough. This too is not realistic, as wildlife tourism is a big deal in Kenya the roads there are pretty well graded. The sloping field where the animals were displayed was not especially well tended. And the Masai cattle mixed in with all the other animals. Oh well.

So why do i rate this zoo so highly? We visited on a Wednesday morning, the day the zoo opens for the week. As with a couple other attractions, there were scads of school children at the zoo. Call me a softy, but I really like middle class Mexican kids. (I apologize for being so class conscious, but in this part of the world it is silly to ignore the reality...poor kids probably don't get fancy uniforms, multiple teachers or a trip to the zoo.) Compared to their peers back in the EUA, they are enthusiastic and out going...not jaded in search of the next video game. They responded eagerly to the fake Masai warrior and they interacted gregariously with us. One boy offered Sandra one of his cookies, for crying out loud.

Call me a hopeless optimist, but I think these kids are the future of our two nations. We need to do all we can to embrace them.

Global politics aside, being at the zoo with the kids howling with the gibbons, oohing at the lions, etc, was a real treat for us.

Two quick tips. Most of the Mexicans brought their own food. We should have tried harder to do this. Second, it is perfectly possible to take the Macrobus to the zoo. it runs in its own lane up Caliz. Indepedencia and has a stop across the street form an auxiliary zoo entrance. At this time, it cost 7 pesos each, no special card required. We took a taxi to the zoo from our hotel for only 100 Pesos (about 7 USD)

We had a great time at the Guadalajara Zoo and I bet you will, too.

Visited May 2015
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
7 attraction reviews
“Exciting attractions and beautiful landscape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015 via mobile

You can go on a safari, be a veterinarian at the pet zoo, watch some shows, touch the mantas and even dive in a cage at the sharks tank!!!!! Its a great family trip

Visited August 2014