“The best zoo in Latin America” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 111 Attractions in Guadalajara
Type: Zoos
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This large zoo contains over 2,000 animals and is located in a beautiful ravine.
Iringa, Tanzania
15 attraction reviews
“The best zoo in Latin America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was the best zoo me and my boyfriend had ever visited! You feel very close to the animals and there are so many of them! It was great being able to feed animals and have small monkeys crawl all over you! The safari was a little short but still a great chance to see loads of African animals and feed giraffes! The guide even added in a little swahili for our enjoyment ;) We spent the whole day there from open till close and it was easy for us to get to even though we were not staying in central Guadalajara. The metro bus is the easiest way to reach it and they are very reliable and fast. The zoo was very cheap, amounting to about 8gbp per person for a ticket that included everything in the zoo. We thought it was a great price for a day out and a chance to see all these animals, and the restaurants inside were not very expensive either! Only bad things were that I was upset so see some animals alone like the polar bear, and also if you do not speak spanish then the safari tour will not make much sense to you!

Visited September 2012

Lake Chapala
“Great place to take visitors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Living close to Guadalajara, we always enjoy taking visitors to the zoo. It is very well laid out on a linear plan so there is no need to pass exibits twice.
At the far end there is a wonderful view into the canyon that halts that side of the city.
There are often special free shows in the auditorium with demonstrations of birds or reptiles. Wonderful for kids and informative for the rest of us.

Dallas, Texas
“must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was amazed at how much this zoo had to offer. You have your normal Zoo, then a Safari ride where you can be close to the animals, A shark tank and a lot more. It was like combining the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld in one but at a smaller scale.

Visited August 2012
Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
8 attraction reviews
“Zoos, zoos are always fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Don't know a zoo I don't like, but this one ranks high. You can ride the train and not walk too much.

“Not even value for the pesos you pay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

I am spending a month in Guadalajara and after checking the reviews for the Guadalajara's zoo I decided to take my daughter and adventure in a beautiful summer day.
We arrived early and decided to get the premium pass that includes all the atractions in the zoo (acuarium, safari ride, unlimited train rides) honestly I can say it was not even worth it for the $25 dollars you spend for an adult and one child.
The animals are well maintained but it is really hard to see them through all the vegetation an fence in between. The personnel is not helpful at all, it feels like if they get bothered if you interrupt them from their reading email routine or cozy sitting spot, to ask them for directions or information about the train rides, etc.
The unlimited train ride is ridiculous! You have to get in a really long line to wait for your turn and the ride is less than 5min! If you want to ride again, you have to go down the train and get back in a 20+min line!
The acuarium was not good either. I was really disappointed with this experience, I got to say.
I would not recommend at all the Guadalajara's zoo, It is sad because I love supporting this kind of animal sanctuaries and teach my girl a little bit about the animals we share the world with. But I think the only lesson my daughter got from it is that this is Mexico and you have to deal with it!