“Extremely Unproffessional” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Fenix Hotel

You added Fenix Hotel to your Saves list
Fenix Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Corona 160 | Centro Historico, Guadalajara 44100, Mexico   |
Ranked #78 of 114 Hotels in Guadalajara
Atlanta
“Extremely Unproffessional”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

Good Morning!
My family and I stayed in this hotel for its location in the heart of Guadalajara.
I found out when we arrived at the hotel, the price we paid on the hotel reservation website was a lot more expensive than a walk in price, about $20.00 dollars more expensive, which is totally ridiculous.
The service was extremely poor at check in and way too slow.
When we went to our room, we could not sleep. There was too much noise that made impossible to close my eyes to get some sleep. I called the front desk for about 30 minutes to complain about the situation and the phone was NEVER picked up by the front desk personnel. I had to walk down to the front desk in the middle on the night to complain about the poor service.
In my reservation, I requested a room overlooking the cathedral on the top floor, to my surprise; I received a room in the middle of nowhere to overlook a parking lot and nothing else.
I told the lady in the front desk that I requested a room in my reservation as told before,
She said that nobody checks the reservations and all the information including your confirmation numbers were unknown to the front desk person.
I had to provide all the info to her, again; because I was not in the computer system.
I wanted to make a formal complain to the hotel manager, but as always he or she was unavailable.
To make the long story short:
Stay Away from this expensive cheap ½ star hotel.
Don’t waste your money, I felt ripped off for the first time on a 4th class hotel.
Best regards from a very unsatisfied customer.

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — Everything was a waste of money...
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

I backpacked around Mexico for a few weeks, so I am familiar with hotels throughout the country.

We looked around the Guadalajara area, and found most hotels in the city to be overpriced for Mexico. In general, a decent motel room can be had for about $40 to $45 anywhere in the country. I remember the Fenix charging somewhere around that price range, so we picked it since we were on a budget.

You don't need a reservation. Just show up, and pay cash. That goes for anywhere in Mexico. Don't bother booking tours or hotels in advance. You will pay half the money if you just show up and find a room on your own.

Anyways, the room in the Fenix was very strange. The walls were made of some type of paper thin partitions, and the windows were painted over in white.

The room was an "interior" room, meaning that all the windows faced out into the hallway or to another room. Did I mention that the "windows" were painted white?

You could pretty much hear anyone on the other side of the "wall".

The sheets smelled like bleach, and the room was just overwhelmingly, glaringly white.

There was no television, and just a small bathroom, but it was clean.

The beds were pretty uncomfortable and hard.

There were all sorts of noises out in the hall throughout the night.

Also, did I mention that most of the lights in the hotel were turned off, including most of the ones on the floor I was staying. It was a bit of an exercise navigating the long, dark hallways. I would certainly not want to be in that hotel alone.

I would not repeat.

• Liked — low price
  • Disliked — scary place, too noisy to sleep
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Prescott, Az
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

Staff was friendly. Service was slow. Unable to get wash towels, took two attempts to make them understand we use them for showers. Had hot water the first day, cold the next and warm the rest of the week. Took them 45min to give me my lock box. Would not recommend!! There are less expensive rooms in the same area with better service.

• Liked — Spacious Room
  • Disliked — Indifference to solving the problems
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

At first glance, Hotel Fenix seems nice and well located, on Corona Street, friendly staff and a few blocks from downtown Guadalajara. But appearances are not all they seemr to be. First, the hotel gave us a room with a bathroom which had not been cleaned and which had electrical wires hanging from an open hole in the ceiling light in the shower. We got another room with help of the maid who cleans the room. Second, the hotel did not honor its website promotion which said it included a buffet breakfast with our room. The hotel said an "American breakfast" consisting of toast and coffee is the included meal. We had to pay for the buffet breakfast. Third, we suffered bed bug bites. These bites may not appear for a day or two after being bitten and itch tremendously. By the time we realized we had been bitten, we were gone. The result was a visit to the dermatologist which cost $100 and purchase of the $20 antibiotic Cliobetovonate cream. Check out photos of bed bug bites online which will make you realize you don't want to stay at this hotel. I should not expect less from a cheap downtown hotel. We should have stayed away from downtown near Plaza del Sol. We got bit in the butt with the buffet breakfast charge and elsewhere by the freakin' bed bugs. DON'T, REPEAT DON'T STAY AT HOTEL FENIX. They should change the hotel's name to the "Bite Me!"

Stayed May 2008
Fort Collins
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

hotel Fenix is in the heart of the Historic district. A stones throw from the main cathedral. At $86/night for 2 queens, it seemed pricey. The beds were rock hard! I'm a firm bed kinda gal, but wow! We did not eat in the hotel, so I can't say anything about that. the staff all seemed quite friendly.

Stayed March 2008
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

I recently stayed at the Fenix along with my family during the December holidays. The rooms were clean, furniture was old, tv had no remote control and the air conditioner would not work. I have to admit that if you called the concierge they would try (being the opperative word) and get things fixed.
In addition, we received a wake up call @ 3am one day and since we did not answer, this was preceded by 2 security officers knocking at our door 10 minutes later...when we told the day manager of this, the respond we received is that it had been a miscommunication??!!
Another thing, beware of the restaurant and its revolving buffet price...our package included 2 daily breakfast buffets but there were 3 of us, so every morning we would rotate and purchase 1 buffet...well, would always receive a different price for the 3rd meal, it ranged from 5 dollars to 13 dollars for a plate of fruit and 2 quesadillas!!! When this was related to the restaurant staff, they just told us that ON THAT SPECIFIC DAY THE PRICE HAD GONE UP!!
Stay somewhere else if you can.

• Liked — Cleaning Staff
  • Disliked — Restaurant and Security Staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

Two types of thieves operate in this hotel. There is a conman who pretends to be a guest who has lost everything and then demands money for a plane ticket back to the U.S. Secondly people steal money from your room. Hotel staff claim to investigate so that they can stall guests and prevent them from calling the police. IF there is no other alternative but to stay here, then you must have a police number handy (066) and have your wits about you. If something goes wrong call the police first and let them investigate, not the hotel staff.

Stayed December 2006

Been to Fenix Hotel? Share your experiences!