“Not As Advertise” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fenix Hotel

You added Fenix Hotel to your Saves list
Fenix Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Corona 160 | Centro Historico, Guadalajara 44100, Mexico   |
Ranked #78 of 114 Hotels in Guadalajara
Prescott, Az
“Not As Advertise”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

Staff was friendly. Service was slow. Unable to get wash towels, took two attempts to make them understand we use them for showers. Had hot water the first day, cold the next and warm the rest of the week. Took them 45min to give me my lock box. Would not recommend!! There are less expensive rooms in the same area with better service.

• Liked — Spacious Room
  • Disliked — Indifference to solving the problems
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

At first glance, Hotel Fenix seems nice and well located, on Corona Street, friendly staff and a few blocks from downtown Guadalajara. But appearances are not all they seemr to be. First, the hotel gave us a room with a bathroom which had not been cleaned and which had electrical wires hanging from an open hole in the ceiling light in the shower. We got another room with help of the maid who cleans the room. Second, the hotel did not honor its website promotion which said it included a buffet breakfast with our room. The hotel said an "American breakfast" consisting of toast and coffee is the included meal. We had to pay for the buffet breakfast. Third, we suffered bed bug bites. These bites may not appear for a day or two after being bitten and itch tremendously. By the time we realized we had been bitten, we were gone. The result was a visit to the dermatologist which cost $100 and purchase of the $20 antibiotic Cliobetovonate cream. Check out photos of bed bug bites online which will make you realize you don't want to stay at this hotel. I should not expect less from a cheap downtown hotel. We should have stayed away from downtown near Plaza del Sol. We got bit in the butt with the buffet breakfast charge and elsewhere by the freakin' bed bugs. DON'T, REPEAT DON'T STAY AT HOTEL FENIX. They should change the hotel's name to the "Bite Me!"

Stayed May 2008
Fort Collins
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

hotel Fenix is in the heart of the Historic district. A stones throw from the main cathedral. At $86/night for 2 queens, it seemed pricey. The beds were rock hard! I'm a firm bed kinda gal, but wow! We did not eat in the hotel, so I can't say anything about that. the staff all seemed quite friendly.

Stayed March 2008
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

I recently stayed at the Fenix along with my family during the December holidays. The rooms were clean, furniture was old, tv had no remote control and the air conditioner would not work. I have to admit that if you called the concierge they would try (being the opperative word) and get things fixed.
In addition, we received a wake up call @ 3am one day and since we did not answer, this was preceded by 2 security officers knocking at our door 10 minutes later...when we told the day manager of this, the respond we received is that it had been a miscommunication??!!
Another thing, beware of the restaurant and its revolving buffet price...our package included 2 daily breakfast buffets but there were 3 of us, so every morning we would rotate and purchase 1 buffet...well, would always receive a different price for the 3rd meal, it ranged from 5 dollars to 13 dollars for a plate of fruit and 2 quesadillas!!! When this was related to the restaurant staff, they just told us that ON THAT SPECIFIC DAY THE PRICE HAD GONE UP!!
Stay somewhere else if you can.

• Liked — Cleaning Staff
  • Disliked — Restaurant and Security Staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

Two types of thieves operate in this hotel. There is a conman who pretends to be a guest who has lost everything and then demands money for a plane ticket back to the U.S. Secondly people steal money from your room. Hotel staff claim to investigate so that they can stall guests and prevent them from calling the police. IF there is no other alternative but to stay here, then you must have a police number handy (066) and have your wits about you. If something goes wrong call the police first and let them investigate, not the hotel staff.

Stayed December 2006
Cancun, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

We stayed @ El Fenix GDL last Feb17-19/2006. The Building looks a little older but the Recepcion is nice. After the Check in, we went to our Rm 622. The Room was very spacious, but looks Old, Old furniture Old T.V. but everything was quite clean, that made me feel confortable. Not a 4 Star hotel, but the Rate is according to the Hotel. Centrally located, we never had the oportunity to check the Room service, cause we had just a few steps "La Chata" restaurant great food and service. I think in the future I will try other that this Hotel

• Stayed February 2006
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

On arriving for a long weekend, I was met at the door by friendly staff, and checked in by another friendly and accommodating lady. The room was typical Mexican style, but not a 4 star room. The walls are paper thin; you could hear a soda being opened 3 rooms down! The door on the patio was without a lock or latch, no hair dryer, clothes iron or coffee pot. But the location is great.

I never could get more than lukewarm water from the shower, and the only food at breakfast that was anyways warm was the omelet which was made on demand. But the restaurant staff is excellent and the fruit selection is great.

After a nice dinner on Saturday night, I retired to bed at 11.30. Coming off the elevator, I noticed a lot of teenagers and their handlers sitting around on the floor. It looked strange, particularly when I noticed the “beer cooler” and the number of people smoking. Further down the hall, other members of their party had their room doors open with people coming and going. This seemed very strange conduct for a 4 star hotel.

As I tried to sleep the noise level increased and I called reception. I actually called 5 times before I got any reaction. Eventually they sent security who reported back to reception that he could not find anything wrong. On my seventh call to reception I asked security to come to my room. He did, viewed the activities and said he would ask the party to return to their rooms. Nothing happened and the party continued until 2am.

Next day, kids and teenagers ran rampant throughout the hotel without any interruption from the hotel staff. That night, the same process started and I eventually talked with the night manager at midnight, who told me that my only option was to change rooms. I suggested to him that the noise in the hallways violated their own code of conduct, so why should I be inconvenienced by having to pack all of my belongings at midnight and move room. Surely I am not the one who should be punished? Nothing happened.

It is hard to understand how mature adults can be so insensitive and inconsiderate to other hotel guests. These people had absolutely no manners. It is even more mind-boggling why security and management at a 4 star hotel would allow this kind of activity to go on until 2am in the morning. If anything, they should have moved the party to the reception area.

I am always willing to put up with minor inconveniences and inconsistencies, but enough was enough. I checked out early next day and moved to an international brand name hotel. As I checked out, I looked over the guest log at reception and saw a long list of guest complaints.

I guess at the Fenix, they don’t pay attention to guests.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Fenix Hotel? Share your experiences!