“Super muy bien!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 13 Attractions in Cuernavaca
Type: Educational Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: ASLI Spanish Language Institute is a professional language school devoted to quality and personal attention. It specializes in the Spanish language and the culture of Latin America. The institute includes comfortable and attractive conference rooms, small group classrooms, free internet access, and a cafeteria. It is located in Cuernavaca, in Morelos state.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
San Francisco, CA
“Super muy bien!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just finished a wonderful two weeks at the ASLI, where the experience was facilitated by a promptly responsive administration and a kind, caring and dedicated faculty. Co-directors Paco and Maru did everything within their power to ensure that all students were receiving (and happy with) the proper level of instruction. The profesoras (all women) were highly knowledgeable, articulated Spanish beautifully, and displayed a sincere desire to impart their knowledge to the students. Located in a handsome, well maintained, and comfortable building on a quiet residential street, the school was close enough to the Centro to get there quickly and easily by cab (around 30 pesos) or bus but far enough removed to be away from the noise and intensity of downtown. Classes ran from 9:00 to 3:00 with two fifteen minute breaks and a half hour at midday, so there was plenty of time for instruction. I did a homestay and would highly recommend that approach as a way to extend the day's education, get a window into Mexican culture, and meet and bond with a host family. Everything about my experience was extremely positive: the easy connection from the D.F. airport by Pullman Morelos bus (it leaves directly from the airport and arrives at a central Cuernavaca location in about an hour and a half), the quality of the teaching, the fellow students, my visits to the chief local cultural attractions (don't miss the Rivera mural, the Siqueiros taller and the Robert Brady casa-museo), the ease and accessibility of inexpensive transit, the homestay, the warm family, and the excellent and copious meals that I was served. I would sum up my experience in the same phrase used by one of the profesoras each morning in responding to an inquiry as to how she was doing: "Muy bien, super muy bien!" Super muy bien says it all for the ASLI.

Huatulco Mexico
“You're crazy if you don't go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Too many reviews here say the same things.... "Best school, best teachers, blah blah blah."

I have only ever been to one school (this one) so have no basis for comparison. I suspect this is the same for many of the people who are commenting here.

BUT having said that I did ask my two teachers how long they had worked at ASLI. 26 and 33 years respectively. Why? Because they like their work and the people they work with. That's really all you need to know. They are a "happy family" and like what they do and are good at it.

I will definitely go back next year (If they will have me with my street slang beach Spanish !) and have recommended this school to many people in Huatulco Mexico where I live most of the year.

Cuernavaca is a wonderful city. As well, it is close to other great cities like Tepotzlan and Taxco that you can easily visit on your own or with a group tour organised by the school

Minnesota
“Excellent school”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've studied Spanish in many schools in Costa Rica, Guatemala, and four schools in Mexico. ASLI in Cuernavaca is by far the best of all. I have studied with them three times and my home stay and teachers were superior. I give it my highest recommendation.

Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“A peak experience studying Spanish in Cuernavaca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I spent 10 days at the Spanish Language Institute in March 2013. I am a clinical social worker who uses Spanish for my job and needed to improve my fluency. I wish I could have spent more time, but could no t get away for a longer trip. ALSI was the right place for me. They have 6 hours per day of instruction, but I was learning Spanish every waking hour. At every meal I was engaged in conversation and cultural exchange with other students and my host family (Maru and Paco). The home was beautiful and comfortable and the food was incredible with lots of fruit and Mexican dishes made from scratch.
I liked that I was placed in classes which were exactly at the right level for me. I was challenged and the classes were fun. The other students were interesting people who had a similar level of commitment to learning that I had. I have been in touch with them by email and we plan to try and meet up again at ASLI again next year. it was very easy to make friends at the school. it is the type of place that attracts people who are fun and interesting.
As a middle aged woman traveling solo, I planned my arrival in Cuernavaca for afternoon and took the bus from Mexico City. It was a pleasant ride in a luxury touring style bus. Other students who arrived at odd hours arranged for pick up by the school. I never had any feelings of being unsafe in Cuernavaca or the surrounding areas. i took taxis and "la ruta" (little public buses) everywhere. The taxis are inexpensive, and just about any shop owner will call a radio taxi for you (they literally show up in minutes).
I went on one excursion with the school to Mexico City which was awesome. We went in a van with 11 people and had an incredible day of shopping, museums, and boating. I also signed up for the cooking class and learned how to make mole poblano, rice, and a strawberry jello that was more like mousse than jello. I would also recommend a trip to nearby Tepotzlan for the weekend market.
I recommend this school because of the excellent quality of instruction, the comfort of the school and homes, and because it was just plain fun to be there. Every day was full of interesting things to do. I look forward to going back.

Burlingame, California
“The children enthusiastically went to class every day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I wanted my children to realize the benefit of studying Spanish, so I took my 12 year old twins and a friend of my daughter to Spanish Language Institute during their week-long school break in February 2013, where we all took semi-private courses in Spanish.

In the morning, we had private grammar classes. My grammar class was fun, much to my surprise, and at just my level. The children enjoyed their grammar classes, in which they played games. In the afternoon, I had conversation classes and learned about my fellow classmates and I also went on a couple of field trips to the open market in the center of Cuernavaca and to las Estacas, a natural water park.

In the afternoon, the children went on field trips and did activities, including making piñatas, making guacamole, creating art work. The children enthusiastically went to class every day. The only activity they didn't enjoy was the salsa dance class.

We stayed with a wonderful Mexican family who cooked us a variety of food. Our hosts drove us 20 minutes to and from SLI each day and made us feel very comfortable and welcome in their house.

Visited February 2013