“Wife and I love it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cinco Sentidos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Hotel Cinco Sentidos
You added Hotel Cinco Sentidos to your Saves list
Calle 8 | Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo 40895, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Orem
“Wife and I love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Araceli runs a wonderful hotel. We absolutely adored it. She was extremely helpful and kind. Her staff, especially the maid and the groundskeeper are fantastic workers and even better people. Araceli speaks great English. The other 2 workers don't but they will do everything they can to help out. The breakfasts were delicious and very filling. My wife and I often didn't eat again until 2 or 3. You can take the bus I to Zihua for 6.5 pesos. People have complained about the steep hills to climb up and they are certainly there. We're in our mid-20s but the hills were fine for us. Plus it allowed us to get exercise while on vacation. While staying there, definitely go to La Bocana. The Pozole and terrific, as well as the chicken breast and tostadas. We would love to come back soon and we definitely refer everyone to Araceli.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was our 8th trip to Zihuat, but our first stay at Cinco Sentidos. We have stayed at 3 other hotels in Zihuat, and Cinco was by far the best place to stay. We stayed in the Suite (#5) So much fun to have the huge plunge pool to relax in, day or night. The staff was first rate, always friendly and helpful. Our breakfast's were amazing, the fruit amazing....need i say more??? We will be back next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We returned recently from a late January to early February, 2013, 8 night stay at Cinco Sentidos. We spent all nights in the Grand Suite (#5) at the top of the property. This was our first stay at this property (second stay in Zihuatanejo) and it was wonderful. As others have reported, the room is very large and comfortable with great views of the bay. The room is also very private including the large plunge pool and sun deck. Due to Heiko's illness he was not preparing the breakfasts but they were still unique and delicious. (Our prayers are with Heiko for his speedy and complete recovery from the cancer.) My wife had special dietary needs and they modified each meal for her. We especially enjoyed speaking with and getting to know the other hotel guests. Breakfast was a time of sharing, learning about places to see, restaurants to try and other general information. And, of course Araceli. She made sure we had everything we needed. What a gracious host she is. She even loaned us 1000 pesos when we were not able to get to a bank early in our stay. The hotel in very clean and beautifully maintained. The hike up the hill was a bit much for my wife. We would walk down but take a cab up (35 pesos). This worked fine for us. I have included a few photos (although TripAdvisor site changed the order from what I wanted). We will return!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Cinco Sentidos for 5 wonderful nights, after reading all the terrific reviews here on TripAdvisor. Our 'unique' perspective is that 2 of those nights were in the 'Grand Suite' (#5) and 3 were in the 'Junior Suite' (#4) during the same visit.

A week or so prior to our visit, I'd arranged for the 'split-up' scenario with co-owner Araceli and it turned out to be a wonderful choice. Our first two nights were spent in that spacious 'grand' suite, situated on the top floor with the highest view of the bay. Sunsets, a spacious soaking pool, hammock, private sunning chairs, a lounging couch, a gargantuan bathroom and shower, and an air-conditioned bedroom: all were magnificent. We had a refrigerator stocked with water, soda and Cororitas on arrival - plus a hearty batch of tortillas with salsa and guacamole - so there was nothing lacking at all.

Sunsets are phenomenal, gazing out across a glistening bay, but mornings are equally wonderful -the chirping birds (including a caged canary) and rustle in neighboring bushes (an aguana visited several times) and so are evenings (humming crickets and frogs and the gentle strum of music and breaking surf on Playa La Ropa below).

After two nights we moved downstairs to #4, which was equally magnificent. The patio was huge, the shaded pool plenty big enough and the entire suite was air-conditioned, although bathroom windows open to the pool (and a gorgeous view of the bay) and sliding doors expand the sitting space out to the patio in cooler times of day. Beds on both floors are comfortable; I slept soundly all 5 nights (I prefer a firmer bed and these fit the bill).

Location is up a rather steep hill from Escénica La Ropa, so be prepared for a short somewhat arduous hike up the hill - and watch your step on the gravel going downhill. Taxis, however, were easy to call (never waited more than 2-3 minutes), just ask Araceli, Heiko, or any member of the staff (although most speak little/no English ("¿Me llamas un taxi, por favor?")). 40 peso rides into El Centro are the norm - although it seemed to vary 5 pesos either way depending on the cab driver.

OK, rooms are terrific. Breakfasts? Equally so - every morning was special and different - from savory spreads like huevos/puerco (eggs/ham) burritos to camarones (grilled shrimp) quesadillas to sweets like 'Fantasy Island' Pancakes - and ALWAYS a huge plate of fresh fruit and a tall pour of juice (orange, papaya, cantaloupe, depending on the day). I'm now addicted to piña!

Araceli is a warm and inviting host, happy to speak of her love of the town and region, her home - we had a genuine hug and 'thank you' as we departed. Heiko was, during our stay, recovering from major surgery and has, for now, removed himself from the day-to-day kitchen work that many past reviews have commented upon - regardless, he is on-site and helpful with calling taxis or reserving food (in our case an order from nearby Jungle Pizza on our first night); we wish him well in his recovery. All the staff was friendly and attentive, but special 'thanks' go to Judith, always quick to smile and a magician with her daily towel-and-flower artwork on our bed.

All in all, Cinco Sentidos is a very special place, one that earns our highest recommendations. We'd gladly return at a moment's notice!

Room Tip: The Grand Suite is very nice, but #4 is equally as fabulous for less cost.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Have you ever had one of those years that sucks the life out of you? Well, I did, and it was 2012. Nearly killed me. A major job transition during a year when I had agreed to serve as the volunteer leader of a professional association - two jobs for the price of one. And the death of my father in November after a long struggle with Parkinson's and Dementia. No matter how hard I tried to recharge, my batteries felt like they were dead. And, wow, did I need a break. Not the usual way to start a review, I realize.

Fortunately, my partner and I had booked a vacation many months ago to return to Cinco Sentidos. Since my last visit three years ago, Cinco Sentidos had risen to #1 on TripAdvisor in Zihuatanejo and had developed quite a reputation for their gourmet breakfasts. As I fantasized about returning to this wonderful boutique hotel, I often read reviews and wondered if many of the reviewers were on an extra dose of Prozac? I had an amazing time at Cinco Sentidos last time, but was it really that perfect?

Maybe it was my state of mind, but it was that perfect for me. I was powerless in the face of the remarkable sunsets and slept like a baby each and every day - comfortable bed, and the sound of the ocean at night. The hotel is so peaceful that I rarely heard another guest. And the service was warm, attentive and never intrusive. They have got it right, and I didn't want to leave - please give me one more week - please! For the jaded, this might sound corny, but it was absolutely a true sentiment.

I would suggest you go now. I truly feel like Cinco Sentidos is at its peak. But to make sure you trust my review, I will tell you one little secret - the towels are normal towels. They absorb water and are changed frequently, but I did not see angels after I used one. So there you go!

Aracelli's hospitality and sense of humor is so genuine and lovely. Heiko's breakfasts really are that exquisite and delicious. Moses's service is attentive and warm - thanks for all of the coffee! Judith's (pronounced Who-dith) floral arrangements are sweet and beautiful. And Salvador maintains the perfect grounds with hard work and care.

My batteries have been recharged. I made it from 2012 to 2013. Fireworks over the bay on the eve of December 31st, and a complimentary mimosa at breakfast on January 1 to celebrate the New Year were perfect reminders of the transition.

Thank you Cinco Sentidos. I am feeling much, much better now. i look forward to seeing you next time. You are #1 according to those who visit Zihuatanejo (including me), and I wish you health, happiness and prosperity in 2013.

Room Tip: #5 - The penthouse!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We returned to Cinco Sentidos again this year as we had such a fantastic stay from March. Our first stay was 4 nights and this time around it was for 8 nights. Believe it or not, it was still not enough and we will be returning next Christmas for 10 nights.

The owners, Heiko and Araceli, are like family--always taking care of your every little need and they welcome you with their hearts. Judith, the housekeeper, keeps the rooms spic and span while Heiko, the master chef, doesn't just serve breakfasts, he creates "masterpieces." Every morning, the menu varies--Sundays are stewed pork with a crispy piece of chicarron (fried pork skin); Wednesdays are pancake infused with bananas "fantasy island"; Thursdays was eggs ranchero with a beautiful salsa sauce on top of a tortilla round. Fridays was scrambled eggs with tomatoes and onions wrapped with a banana leaf and tied into a bundle with a sliver of poached green onion. Today, we had egg burritos with honey ham strips but like I say, all his presentations look like a master piece. When Heiko cooks, his focus and concentration is like working on
canvas! We love Heiko and Araceli as they are now our friends. Cinco Sentidos wouldn't be "heaven" if it weren't for these 2 gracious and beautiful hosts!

The heated plunge pool in each of the 5 rooms with the spectacular view of Zihua bay is to be enjoyed every night in the privacy of your own unit. We often even go in with out birthday suits without anyone being able to see us. The hammock is also so relaxing for a nice snooze anytime of the day along with 2 very comfortable lounge chaises.

The infinity pool and floating queen sized "bed" are top notch here! I would not stay anywhere else but Cinco Sentidos because of Heiko and Araceli and the "heaven" that they managed to create for all of us to enjoy! Personally I think Casa Que Canta and Tentaciones are over rated and over priced for what they offer. Compare it to Cinco Sentidos and you will know what i mean!

December, 2013 here we come! Mucho Gracias to Heiko, Araceli, Judith, Moses, and Salvador who fusses over us like "royalty."

Room Tip: All 5 rooms have a fantastic view of Zihua Bay!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hosts and staff were welcoming, the room clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were fabulous! Heiko, who used to be the chef at another well known Zihuat hotel, produces morning meals that will last you the whole day and whose variety and inventiveness are tops. A solid excellent rating all round.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cinco Sentidos? Share your experiences!