“Best vacation in 42 years of marriage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sueno del Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Sueno del Mar
You added Sueno del Mar to your Saves list
Casa Que ve al Mar | Calle Escenica a La Ropa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Victoria, B.C.
“Best vacation in 42 years of marriage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Sueno del Mar was even more than we expected from the moment we walked in the door. The view was breathtaking, the furniture and decor was fabulous and the kitchen was equipped better than our home. Harriet's expose' of the area and restaurants were a key part of our enjoyment. We tried several of the restaurants and they all were amazing. Not a day of sickness any of the four of us, the beds were better than most in Mexico and the pools were lovely. We went to Las Gasta for a day and our friends didn't get out of the water. The beach was calm and warm and wonderful. We will definitely be returning next year. Thank you Harriet and Ron for sharing your paradise.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
mizsic, Owner at Sueno del Mar, responded to this review, January 24, 2010
Thank you, ZihuaVictoria, for your great review! You folks had just the kind of Zihua experience that we hope for everyone. I wrote my guide with folks like you in mind: I wanted everyone to feel at home right away.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

and never had a more positive experience than Zihuatanejo, the rooms are perfectly furnished, exceptionally clean, service was outstanding, view was unobstructed and centered on the beautiful bay looking out into the Pacific. The sunsets were worth the trip alone.
The beach is clean and the vendors are very courteous, accepting no and moving on. There are many restaurants with a wide variety of choices in cuisine, so you never have to just settle. The kitchen in your room is well furnished and if you chose to cook for yourself, the local markets are stocked with fresh vegetables etc..

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this fantastic place? My husband and I came to Zihua for our honeymoon and we were not disappointed! I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible!

1. We got a discount because we were just 2 people. Sweet!
2. We stayed at the end of the low season. We had one rain storm one afternoon. Other than that it was hot and gorgeous!
3. The condo is beautiful! Decor, views - all of it!
4. The bed was extremely comfy!
5. Lots to do, or if you prefer, nothing to do. We chose the latter!
6. Great eats nearby.
7. Awesome staff.
8. Did I mention the stunning views?
9. The killer guide that Harriett sends is like the Zihua Bible.
10. Everything is affordable!
11. Low season = NO CROWDS ANYWHERE!
12. Excellent communication with Harriett!
13. The guards are SO NICE!

A few other things....
The condo is at the top of a hill. Anyone who has any sort of issues with that might not enjoy their stay. The ONLY reason I say this is that I saw an older couple (quite senior, actually) struggling in the heat and I felt bad for them. It's the only reason it came to mind though.
We had some issues with the water when we were there, but I believe it was an isolated incident. The issue was resolved quite quickly and in a very friendly manner.
We saw a scorpion by the pool! It was minding it's own business. It did freak us out a little. Harriett mentions them in the guide - just be on the look out. We pointed him out to the gardener and he took care of it.
We saw bats too. Cool. I highly suggest sunset in the infinity pool. Hang out a little longer and watch the bats take flight - amazing! Because there are bats, there are no other bugs that we encountered in the OPEN AIR living room.
Yolanda, the cleaning lady is a joy. She speaks very little English, but it didn't matter.

We ate at Paty's constantly. Yum on the breakfast! The lemonade is sooooo good and I could O.D. on the avocados! We ate next door too, but didn't really like it as much. The servers at Paty's are much friendlier and they don't add in the tip beforehand.

The BEST meal we had was at Banditos. Oh. My. God. It was so good. We did some shopping around there too. We got great bowls and statues. Incredible artwork.

I was the laziest person ever. We actually only went to the beach once. Why go anywhere else when you're the only couple around? We practically had the entire pool area to ourselves for the whole week!

I can't say enough about this place! Harriett, thanks so much for everything - for opening up your home away from home to us. We consider ourselves one lucky couple! Memories for a lifetime!

Gracias!
Louise & Shane Truett

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Sueno del Mar in late October for 9 days and wished we had a few more. We hope to go back next October- the weather wonderful and scenery beautiful and green. The condo staff were all great and the housekeeper did an excellent job of keeping the condo in immaculate conditon. We were greeted by Eliazer who was very helpful about information. The condo master bedroom and views were amazing and we had a difficult time leaving it at first! We spent many hours enjoying the balcony and open air living room views. Transportaion was easy, we just had to walk a short distance down to the road where either a taxi would drive by or we could catch the minibus every 15 minutes- very inexpensive. The condo supplied pretty much everything we needed and fresh flowers we there upon arrival. After our time at the beach (consuming delicious food and margaritas), we would walk back uphill to the condo which was a bit of a trek in the heat, but a much needed activity after our lazy days! We would then immedieately cool off in the infinity pools and go back to the condo and sit out on the balcony. Norma's (the condo manager)- her husband has a tour company called Adventuretours which provided one of our favorite days (nature/wildlife preseve and kayaking the lagoons of beautiful Barra de Potosi). Our guide Javier was passionate and knowledgeable about the animals and plants of the area. We kayaked the lagoons of Barra de Potosi and had the best lunch ever of fresh caught mahi mahi mexican style served with warm fresh tortillas ( I helped make the tortillas we ate in the kitchen with the women in the restaurant). The owner of the condo, Harriet, had it decorated creatively and with lovely art. She was great to deal with and professional. We can not wait to go ack and would do it all over again exactly as we did.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Burbank
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

Please pardon me in advance as I have a feeling this will be a very long-winded review, but hopefully it will convince to look no further for places to stay in Z....

14 reasons to stay @ Sueno Del Mar:

1. Great location: a few minutes walking distance to Playa La Ropa, great restaurants, and short taxi ride to El Centro (downtown Z).
2. Absolute gorgeous condo: The entire complex is beautiful, but the way that Harriet/Ron decorated this place is amazing. You feel like you are in Mexico as they embrace the traditional Mexican artesania (arts/crafts). My friends stayed in condo 701 which is beautiful, but this condo definitely feels more "homey".
3. Most comfortable beds that can exist: We've consider ourselves frequent travelers and have been fortunate to stay at some high end hotels. The Ritz has nothing on these beds! I woke up in the middle of the night and saying to myself, "Oh may goodness, I've never slept in such comfortable bed with such comfi pillows"! Must be tempur-pedic!
4. Harriet is extremely flexible, easy to contact, & attentive : Taking care of the logistics was so smooth via email. She was also very accomodating with our group (she also helped our friends in condo 701 since she manages that one as well). She also was very attentive to our friends in other condo when they had a bad incident.
5. The condo is safe/secure: security is there around the clock and they patrol the complex. Each room has a safe.
6. Each room has A/C, but you still feel like you're in the jungle: It's great to have the open living room where you feel like you're away yet you have the comfort of cooling down in the bedrooms.
7. Has everything you need: Everything you would want in a kitchen, bathroom, ect. is there.
8. The views are spectacular: You have the best views and take the best pictures from the balcony in Master bedroom and living room.
9. Super clean: Housekeeper, Yolanda keeps this place really clean which she comes about 3 times a week (make sure to tip her well, she takes an hour to arrive to the condo and another one back home).
10. This is a place away from home: As soon as you walk into the condo, you'll feel at home. I felt so at home that this is the first time ever that I unpack my entire luggage (immediately). We went grocery shopping and I felt like this was our place...I was ready to email Harriet to tell her we want to buy this place from her, seriously (wishful thinking). There are also fresh flowers when you arrive and the beds are decorated beautifully when Yolanda leaves.
11. The pools are phenomenal: The pictures do not show how amazing the views are from the pools. First, they were always clean and they are truly whatt you call infinity pools. Second, the "laying out" chairs are plentiful and have nice cushions...always clean. As soon as it sprinkles/rains, maintanence personnel or security guards will remove them so that they don't get wet/dirty. Lastly, they are truly what you call infinity pools.
12. The condo has surround sound: It was so great to be able to listen to music in the condo.
13. Satellite TV/internet: Harriet/Ron have this place hooked up. You have options if you want to just stay in and do what you would do at home...watch TV or get online.
14. Exercise anyone?: My husband and I are exercise fanatics and we didn't know the office (near the pool) has some exercise machines that sit on the balcony facing the pool. Not sure if that was in the guide, but we didn't realize that until our last day. However, the walk/run to the beach is nice...if you really looking for a workout, just hike back up the hill from the beach. It's great.
15. Zihua guide: The Zihua guide that Harriet created is in the living room along with other useful resources. We read the guide in advance and also printed it, but it was great to have hers there handy when calling security/taxis &/or Eliezar (condo manager).

Hope this helps, feel free to contact me to ask questions about Zihua (everything that Harriet mentions/recommends in her guide is quite accurate). Below is more for Harriet to read, but maybe it will convince even more to stay here.

Harriet:

Thank you again for sharing your beautiful home. I know you regularly hear how great it is, but this place held a special place in my heart as soon as we saw the pictures. As you know, we went with friends/family and we were going to stay @ Preciosa in one condo, but I was so happy that it worked out to stay in yours. I admire that you decorated with Mexican artesania and embrace our culture. Our house is also colorful with artesania from all over Mexico. I felt like I was in Mexico in your condo and it felt like our home. I saw the inside of other condos in the complex. The layouts were great and seemed bigger than yours, but they were decored plain and didn't have the warm feeling. I admire that you and Ron put valuable pieces as well as personal belongings. Thanks for your trustworthiness towards your guests. While we didn't use the boggie boards/board games/kitchen amenities, it was so great to have options. It was the little things such as having a variety of CDs to choose to play in the surround sound system...having the Mexican lime squeezer (our favorite tool at home)...purified water tank in kitchen & bathrooms...beach towels...the list goes on. Again, thank you for trusting us. I hope no one takes advantage of that.

The guide was so impressive. Aside from being helpful, it says a lot about you. It doesn't focus so much on rules and regulations, but rather it's a tool to make sure that people embrace your condo as well as Zihua. We definitely plan to return and hope that you're condo is open to us again. We also refer friends/family your way.

In case you want some more reviews for your "Eats" section, here are a few:

La Perla (went 8/2008, last year): My husband and I were recommended to this place by locals and based on reviews through tripadvisor.com. We were very disappointed as the food was below average and more expensive than similar restaurants on Playa La Ropa. We ordered several things since we were hungry (1st meal in Zihua), none were good. For example, I ordered the Huachinango with chipotle sauce (red snapper). It literally tasted like bbq sauce. The ceviche has no flavor even after putting lime.

Patys (went 9/2009): Our group of seven ate breakfast there and we all loved it and it was very reasonable. We had "hotcakes", french toast, chilaquiles, omelette with chorizo, huevos rancheros...everything was excellent, including the service.

Rest at La Mexicana Hotel (don't know the name): We had drinks appetizers there (tacos, ceviche) and it was also delicious and reasonably priced.

Atoles AnY (forgot the entire name): This was a big hit with our entire group and also very reasonably priced. The coffee is awesome (traditional Mexican coffee, "de la hoya")...tamales (not the super tamal, but try pork/chicken in chile verde or rojo), sopes (carne molida/ground beef), chile rellenos, chilaquiles, and last but not, the pozole is the bomb! I craved it everyday (try blanco o verde, both are delicious). FYI, the one in Ixtapa changed owners and is now called Mex Cal. The locals say it's the same menu, but it's not. The food was good at Mex Cal, but they didn't have the selection like in Zihua.

La Sirena Gorda: The tacos and good and so was the "aguachile/ceviche/campechana (basically seafood marinated in lime), but it was overpriced and the service was mediocre.

Los Braseros: Good tacos al pastor and asada and very reasonably priced. Nice place to grab a quick bite while on the run.

Bandidos (went 8/2008 and 2009): We love this place. The prices a bit higher compared to the other restaurant, but it's worse it. It's nicer (traditional Mexican colors with equiple furniture. The service is great and ambiance is fun. They have music and TVs and a live band on the weekends. Try the huachinango enchiladas en chile verde (red snapper with green sauce)...best enchiladas I've ever had. The molcajete chicken or shrimp is super delicious.

Il Mare: Pleasantly surprised that the italian food was good. We were a bit apprehensive to go based on other reviews, but everything was delicious and the service was good. The views were amazing. This was our most expensive dinner (my husband and I), but it was reasonable comparable to U.S. dining. We had drinks, an appetizer, and two entrees for $80.00. Not bad.

Artesania shopping: Highly recommend Artesanias "Rey" @ Mercado de Artesanias Local 14. Rey is a young man who makes beautiful arts/crafts along with his Dad. He customed made some vases last year as well as other things for us things year (I'll attach pictures). He's going to college to get his degree in tourism, he's very talented. Let him know Evelyn referred you.

In case you don't have it in the guide, you may want to mention the small exercise machines in the office.

Hasta Pronto!

• Stayed September 2009
mizsic, Owner at Sueno del Mar, responded to this review, September 19, 2009
This is one of my MOST favorite reviews!

I have been very blessed with guests who treasure the arts and artensania of Mexico as much as I do. It one of the things that makes Mexico (and the folks who love her) so special.

Thank you for your GREAT review!

Bay Area, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I had been planning a honeymoon for two years, researching all of the possible places that fit our parameters. Alison wanted to be somewhere on a beach (we often do more educational or historical trips and we wanted a slower pace of travel this time) and I wanted to be 100% un-touristy. No high rises, no cruise ships porting, no spring breakers partying…we wanted all locals, ex-pats or well seasoned travelers to make our honeymoon a relaxing and enjoyable experience but still luxurious with plenty of local amenities (we both love architecture as well as integrating with the locals). Sueno Del Mar and Zihuatanejo offered all of this. It was a perfect jumping off point for excursions out of Zihuatanejo, short walks down to Playa La Ropa or a short Taxi ride or walk to El Centro.

The view was absolutely amazing from every room. The kitchen is well equipped and we were able to cook food we purchased at the Commercial Mexicana for breakfast and lunches while we slept in and read. Harriet had a wonderful book there that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND reading by Owen Lee called “A Prisoner in Paradise” while there. It’s from a well known local that is now back in the states (he’s 70+ and getting older who helped build up Playa Las Gatas) and one of the first long time expats from 1967. We spent a considerable amount of time just unwinding the first few days and then began exploring. You can’t go wrong with just about anything in Harriet’s guide she sends you. We stayed at three properties on our honeymoon but my wife and I both agreed that we would be coming back to Sueno Del Mar!

We recommend:
Hanging out and chatting with the locals especially during the Sunday night cultural events. Spend time talking with shop owners, wait staff, guides, beach sales people etc…
We also recommend trips with Lucio (he’s based at Amuleto but will work with anyone, is certified and has great local knowledge)

Experiences:
Otillia’s when at Playa Las Gatas. Franco is a perfect if not an entertaining host.
Horseback riding on Playa Larga
Silver shopping at the market
Snorkeling (with a guide, we tried both) at Las Gatas
Body Boarding (aka boogey boarding) before a tropical storm on playa la ropa!
Petetlan – visited the town for gold shopping and to see the historic church

Food:
Paty’s – Happy hour Pina Colada’s 2 for $4!!!!!! (if my memory serves me, they were cheap!)
La Perla – Sunset dining on the beach with wonderful food and service.
Amuleto – If you’re a foodie, Amuleto is not to be missed. The best we had while in town)
Il Mare – Need some Gringo food? This was noteworthy Italian food with a view.
La Casa Kau Kan – We were tired, but from what I remember the food was so-so, with great abalone.
Banditos – Amazing food, Amazing hosts, Amazing dancing on Thursday’s and filled with ex-pats

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

My husband and I really wanted to go somewhere relaxing and tranquil for our honeymoon. Zihuatanejo and Sueno del Mar were just perfect for us. The view from Sueno del Mar is incredible, the artwork was colorful and gorgeous, and the condo really had everything we needed for a wonderful and relaxing honeymoon. We had many lovely evenings on the balcony and in the open-air living room, drinking wine, listening to music, playing board games or reading, and of course - watching the sunset! We also really loved discovering new details in the folk art and decor of the condo every day, and could tell that the owners put a lot of thought and care into decorating Sueno del Mar and making it comfortable and beautiful for their guests. The condo is completely stocked, with a full kitchen, beach towels, boogie boards (which we used quite a bit!) and yoga mats. There are also two very nice infinity pools for guests to use, complete with lounge chairs and umbrellas. The staff and managers of the property itself took excellent care of us, and helped us with anything we needed. We never had to worry about anything the entire time we were there.

Everyone we met in Zihuatanejo was so kind and friendly. One thing I recommend to anyone traveling there -- take time to really talk to the people you meet! You will be so glad that you did, and will make new friends!

We did yoga a few mornings at Paty's open air studio on Playa La Ropa, and then had breakfast downstairs in her restaurant. Both the yoga and the breakfast were top notch! The teachers were great, and the studio is right on the beach and is the perfect place to practice yoga and let go of stresses. The breakfasts there were the best we had on our entire trip -- my favorite was the Huevos Rancheros Marimar.

We had very nice seafood at La Perla, and excellent fish at El Mangalar, also on Playa La Ropa. The people at El Mangalar were super friendly and conscientious. I recommend the fish grilled in the banana leaf :) We also had a very good meal at The Tides one evening. The service there was outstanding, and the food was incredible. We both had excellent seafood pastas, and very yummy fish tacos. The wine selection there is very diverse and comprehensive as well. And of course, it was perfect for dining in the sand and watching a beautiful sunset. We ordered the Tides signature coffee at the end of the meal, and what a show they put on making it! Very much fun.

We really spent most of our time on the beach (on the boogie boards provided by Sueno del Mar!) or in one of the beautiful infinity pools at the condo. We did, however, take a fantastic side trip with two other couples to go snorkeling. Two very nice men from Zihua took us on their boat to the breathtaking, rugged Manzanillo Beach. It was very isolated and peaceful, and the snorkeling there was amazing. Later, they took us snorkeling at Playa Las Gatas, which was also a lot of fun. One piece of advice we have that may help other tourists -- many people in Zihua Centro approached us about arranging snorkeling trips for us. We realized later, after doing some digging, that many of them worked for resorts and time-share places in Ixtapa. Not only were they going to charge us a ton of money, but if we had gone with them, we probably would have had to sit through some time-share presentation and wasted a few hours of our vacation. We are so glad that we ended up going with the guys we met on the beach, who were recommended to us by various locals and other tourists who had gone snorkeling with them earlier in the week. They were very friendly, genuine people who made sure we had a great time.

Many people told us that we should come back in the winter, as we were traveling in "low season," but the atmosphere was so tranquil and laid back that we really didn't feel like we were missing out on anything at all. It was truly relaxing.

Overall, Zihuatanejo was absolutely beautiful and a joy to discover. We are so glad that we chose to go there for our honeymoon, and are so glad that we found Sueno del Mar. It was perfect for us in every way. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
mizsic, Owner at Sueno del Mar, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
Thank you for being such great guests! I so love it when folks settle in and spend time with the locals: it is well worth the effort. I agree, it is a great place to spend a real, easy going honeymoon.

We feel like we are having one (a honeymoon!) every time we go there.

Harriet

Been to Sueno del Mar? Share your experiences!