“joy is in the journey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Loma Bungalows

Casa Loma Bungalows
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Casa Loma Bungalows
You added Casa Loma Bungalows to your Saves list
Playa La Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico   |
Ranked #73 of 80 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
kingston, ontario
“joy is in the journey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

i've been to zihuat many times and over many years. i have stayed in multiple settings. i concede that casa azul may not be everyone's cup-o-tea. it is a shrine to those zihuat days gone by. a marvelous structure, designed to capture the essence of what life outside can create. it is NOT a condo or a princess palace. it is real mexico. and i will return, booked already for next year. patsy was a pleasure to deal with, reasonable and courteous--despite being so far away. issues that came up were immediately managed--and they were small. yes, it could use a coat of paint....but so could i. the place is magic and magic is what you make of it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Families
Business
Covelo CA (Mendocino Co.)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

i've been wanting to return to Zihautanejo for years so I was excited when my husband and I decided to take an 8-day vacation there.

My first visit' was 30 years ago so needless to say I had to research. I checked on the general area, the town of Zihautanejo, what beach we might enjoy most, and a place to stay that would be comfortable, simple but charming - we didn't need fancy.

When I came across the Loma website, it seemed like such a lovely place to be when not on the beach or out sightseeing, and of course, it had a full bathroom. I saw beautiful landscaping and a spacious outside covered patio for relaxing with a book. It was located near Playa La Ropa so we decided to make contact and move ahead with the arrangements..

I should have went with my gut instinct after making initial contact with the owner and run the other way. She was beyond unfriendly. Each time I spoke to her she was cold, curt and somehwat rude.

My reward for dealing with such an unpleasant person was going to be a beautiful spot in Zihuat. - NOT!!

The entire place has not been properly maintained in quite a while and only what's needed to continue to bring in some kind of income is done.
- Unit #3/4 was old and ugly. We found a scorpion on top of the bed canopy. A large mouse ran across the floor as i came from the bathroom in the middle of the night.
- Unit #2 was not as ugly. The wood bedframe was being eaten up by termites and was disinigrating. There were piles of termite crap under and around our mattress and on the floor. There was a very alive and irritated scorpion in the shower with me that could have been serious trouble. Rodents were obvious there also. The vines of the plant all over the roof were growing thru the tiles and hanging 2-3 feet overhead.

The back of the building is where your outside patio "lounge area" is located and it overlooks an overgrown vacant lot covered in garbage, debris, and broken glass. That is your view. Did I mention that THIS IS WHERE YOUR SHOWER IS LOCATED!? Outside facing the empty lot is where the shower part of the full bathroom is located.
There was not a single piece of furniture that you could comfortably sit much less relax in.

There are many lovely places to stay on or near Playa La Ropa, which I believe is the best place to be. It's a great bay with a protected surf. There were great places to eat and drink along the beach. The spot I enjoyed most was Rossi's Restaurant. They had great drinks, shrimp cocktails, homemade chips w/guacamole in addition to there regular meals. It was a great place to pull up a lounge chair and hang out.

Zihautanejo is a great place with a lot of friendly people. It definitely won't be my last visit but never will i do business with the owner of Casa Luna/Bungalows Loma.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Orange County, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

Casa Loma Bungalows are in a great part of Zihuatanejo, but we did not receive what their website described. Online my husband and I saw a beautiful and charming bungalow in a part of Zihuatanejo that I especially love. It appeared and was presented to be secluded and comfortable. Yes, it was pretty, but our stay there was miserable. Mosquitos swarmed us at night through the holes on the mosquito net, cockroaches visited us from the bathroom and the patio was on a little dirt path that gave anyone easy access to the place. This was definitely beyond rustic!

We had to find other accommodations after the first night or our trip would be ruined. We found a wonderful little casita close by and stayed there the remainder of our time. Sadly, we had paid for three weeks of lodging at Casa Loma before the trip. The manager said the owners were in L.A. and only they could refund us anything. I e-mailed the owners when we got home and they were curt and rude to me. They refused to refund us any amount. We were in Zihuatanejo during the low season and no one else was staying in the section of apartments that we had rented, yet they wouldn't give us back one penny.

Perhaps their bigger bungalows are better as some reviews seem to imply, but I would never want to do business with such greedy and deceptive people. Zihuatanejo is one of my favorite spots in the world and there are plenty of awesome places to stay there. Don't get ripped off by these people.

• Stayed August 2003, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
albuquerque, nm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

I just returned from what was supposed to a romantic and relaxing getaway trip to Zihuatanejo, Mexico, where we stayed at Casa Loma Bungalows. When we first arrived, we were impressed by the looks of the bungalow. Of course, we were the only visitors in the whole suite of bungalows, so we had no privacy issues. However, we were confined the hotel room once we realized the lovely outdoor patio was virtually unusable due to mosquitoes. There was no view of the ocean or any ocean breeze as promised on the website. The outdoor shower was great - until we turned it on and it was only a trickle. It was hot hot hot in the hotel room despite the weak fan and the atmosphere became quickly muggy and oppressive. The street outside the hotel was smelly and dirty, the only access to the beach, which we also found dirty and crowded, unless of course, you're paying big bucks for the american resorts. After getting food poisoning on top of it, we left "paradise" 5 days early.

Stayed July 2007
bryan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

We were planning a simple, cheap and romantic 1st anniversary trip to lovely Zihuatanejo. We researched and were ready for a week of relaxation and pleasure. We were absolutely shocked when we arrived to see the condition of our bungalow after the pictures we saw on the website. The room pictured on the website was not named but was certainly not our room! In 2 out of 7 scheduled nights we sweated our rears off (no sea breeze as stated on web), saw cockroaches running in room (we thought the bed net was for mosquitos), and found out we had to whisper everything lest we be heard in the shower by our neighbors! However the ground's keeper and his wife were awesome and friendly. Thanks Alberto and Ester!!! Thank heavens there was a new Holiday Inn in Ixtapa that could be negotiated down to $80 a night and saved our trip. Bus fare to Zihuatanejo was only $7 pesos, so we still got to experience old world mexico, (eating, shopping and beaching are great in ZIH) Casa Loma is worth about $20 a night, at $50 it is way overpriced (and no refunds)! We will definitely be back to Zihuatenejo, but not Bungalow Casa Loma!!!

• Liked — Location close to great beach
  • Disliked — bugs and heat
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

We just returned from 10 great days at Bungalow Casa Loma. I read the review "not as advertised' and in my opinion this dude was not staying in the same place I just left. Maybe he just got his wires crossed. I was so surprised at his review that I went back to the loma web page to check what he was talking about. There is no claim there of being a private bungalow. Loma is three very roomy suites in an old fashion Spanish style single story building. Every suite has a large covered patio with a kitchen, an eating and lunging area. We found it very comfortable, convenient to the beach and transportation and not noisy at all. . It was very clean, had daily maid service and the staff was always friendly and helpful. In my opinion, it was a real bargain for the money. We will be back for sure.

• Liked — Not pretentious
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2006

The Tim Robbins character in the Shawshank Redemption dreams of "...warm place with no memory" and escapes to a beach in Mexico called Zihuatanejo. I have been to Zihuatanejo several times and it represents for me, like the character in the film, a place for escape from all of the distractions of our everyday life. An opportunity to encounter beauty and wonder again. I found an excellent bunglaow with Casa Loma, where I could relax, enjoy the beautiful playa la ropa beach and escape. It is true that the rooms are located next to each other and other's voices can be heard. Also, it is true that these are not luxury bungalows, but this did not affect the peace I found at this place. The rooms possess a wonderful simplicity. They are adjoined by a lounging area that includes a kitchen and eating area. There is amply space to relax in a hammock or in the lounging area and escape with a book. The bungalow is serviced by a kind staff that is extremely helpful (thank you Alfredo). I highly recommend these bungalows if you want to escape, would like place where you experience simplicy, cook some mexican dishes, and be embedded with other locals who also enjoy the area's beauty.

• Liked — simplicity and service
  • Disliked — no view
  • Tips/Secrets — no
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casa Loma Bungalows? Share your experiences!