“Lovely B&B in Barra de Potosi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa del Encanto

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Casa del Encanto
Barra de Potosi, Zihuatanejo, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 52 Zihuatanejo B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely B&B in Barra de Potosi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

My friends and I stayed here following a recommendation from a friend of mine, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed in the Green Coconut room for the first night, but the cockerel outside our window didn't seem to respect normal sleeping hours, so moved to the Blue Room for the rest of our stay. There were so many unique touches that made it a pleasure to stay there - the tealights on the stairs in an evening, the extensive book collection, the breeze whilst swinging on your hammock on the balcony, the honesty bar, the lovely breakfasts and, most importantly, the warmth and friendliness of Laura, the owner (as well as her amazing stock of anecdotes). Barra de Potosi itself is quite a lot of fun - kayaking round the river back into the lagoon was brilliant, and for comfy sunbathing, you can hire sunloungers at the hotel next to Laura's beach area for 40 pesos a day, and use their pool and bar as well. The massages are also amazing. Finding a gourmet dinner venue is a bit of challenge, but apparently there is a good seafood restaurant a short taxi ride away - laura can give you the details. This is probably not the break for those who like everything clinical and modern, but for those looking for a friendly, Mexican, authentic experience, it's hard to beat. Just make sure you take earplugs and insect repellant! And Laura runs the village library next door, so if you have any spare stationery, that's always welcome....

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Morelia, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at Casa del Encanto for two nights in January as we were participating in the town's sailfishing contest. We arrived without a reservation and stayed in a downstairs room with a queen size bed and a twin bed out in the patio area. Laura is a gracious hostess but doesn't hover. She does know a lot about the area and has lived in the town as its developed.

We've traveled loads in Mexico and what stood out about Casa del E. were the firm beds and the bedding! Wonderful sheets and loads of good pillows. And the towels -- superb! There was mosquito netting over the beds, but smart travelers will still wear bug repellent to bed on the coast, screens or no screens.

Loved the way Laura lights loads of candles every night and has tiny lights everywhere. The decorating is very eclectic and cheerful. Comfortable places to hang in the public areas -- books and a computer to use.

The breakfast is excellent -- lots of fresh fruit and coffee and eggs. We spent a couple of hours at the table because the conversation was so engaging. Other guests, like us, were expats or expat wanna-bees.

This place is not on the beach, but close enough to do a morning walk and Laura has her own palapa there for during the day.

The little eatery across the street is perfect for an after-dark, cheap meal.

We'll go back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 5 short days, and it was perfect. It was just what we were looking for, to get away....really get away and just breathe in life of a small coastal Mexican village. The room service and breakfast during our stay was great. Laura even helped us bring in in tamales one morning. The walk to the beach is very short, and allows you to pass by the village library/community center, school, small tiendas and restaurants. The property is cozy and warm and you begin to feel like you're at your second home in a very short time. If you want relaxation, peace, reflection, opportunities to integrate with locals, great seafood, and lazy days at an uncrowded beach then this place is for you. If you want a themed Hilton hotel with a microwave and tv, you might want to continue your search. We think this place is awesome, and we plan to return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed at this B&B for a week and it was the most peaceful and relaxing! Our hostess Laura was helpful and very friendly. She knows the village very well and gave us great advice and tips. We love what she does for the village and the influence she has made for the children.
Casa del Encanto is beautiful and has great character! Our spacious, colorful room with comfortable beds and hammocks was always clean. We enjoyed our delicious breakfast. Our favorites were mexican style eggs and fresh fruits! YUM! We loved that Casa del Encanto is located in the village and that the rooms are open air. It is Mexico, so there are roosters crowing in the middle of the night anywhere. We got used to it very easily. We still speak of how much we miss sleeping in the open air! We met great friends here and had great conversation in the communal space by the kitchen. We love the atmosphere here, especially at night when the candles are lit.
We thought we'd get bored spending a whole week at the same place, but it was just perfect! We rented kayaks, went on a lagoon tour and a playa Manzanillo tour with Avi (recommended by Laura), met great people, attended a wedding for the whole village, and simply enjoying the beach!
We would love to go back soon!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I have stayed at this B & B many times through the years. Laura is helpful and knowledgeable about everything in the village. Her place is charming and welcoming. Love it! I'll keep coming back.

Room Tip: Love the upstairs rooms and the bungalow.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Malibu, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I don't think one could pick a worse place to stay in Barra de Potosi. There seem to be other nicer, cleaner places. This place is falling apart and full of bugs. Ugg!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Lauragecko, Owner at Casa del Encanto, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
This review refers to a two night stay in Oct, 2011. When this person contacted me I informed her that I would be traveling and not onsite during her stay. I offered her a discounted rate as her stay would be during the rainy season and also because I would not be present. I did arrange to have a bilingual manager onsite along with cleaning staff who were instructed to attend during her stay. I informed her I would be in close contact via internet with my staff and asked her to let me know immediately if she needed anything or if there were any problem of any kind. I heard nothing. My staff reported that she claimed she was content with the condition of the house upon arrival and made no complaints during her stay. I was surprised and disappointed to read this commentary.

We received very positive feedback from the Lonely Planet reviewer only one week prior to her stay. This conflicts with her description of the house. However, it is my wish to always do whatever I can to insure that our guests are not unhappy with their stay. IF something occurs to present a problem for a guest, we work hard to rectify it. If this guest had contacted me with her feelings about the house I would have acted immediately to make sure the situation was resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I do feel her description is overly harsh and doesn't represent the real condition of Casa del Encanto.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

To escape the grey/rainy Pacific Northwest weather this December, I booked a flight to the southernmost destination my airline mileage program would take me - Zihuatanejo. I've never taken a Spanish class so for my first trip to Mexico staying in American operated accommodations was a must. I found Casa del Encanto's owner, Laura, praiseworthy. Over my 2 night stay, she directed me to the best enramada restaurants in Barra de Potosi, a kayak rental in the lagoon, and a masseuse. Activities, food, drinks, etc… are very affordable in Mexico in comparison to the US. For example, the kayak rental was about $8 US per hour. Casa del Encanto is located in the village, but Laura also owns a small piece of heaven on the beach. Her beach property which is about a 10 minute walk away has hammocks, grass, and the best part a massage tent. Masseuse Lupe charges approx. $20 US for a 1 hour massage. Despite being her last customer of the day, she was able to give me the most intense deep tissue massage I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Casa del Encanto's guest rooms are clean and spacious. While the rooms are open air, netting prevents wildlife from entering your suite. As other reviewers commented, I did hear the sounds of village life at night: music, dogs barking, and roosters crowing. If you are seeking a quiet oasis, a B&B on a lively village street isn't for you. The breakfast at Casa del Encanto included freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, and an assortment of breads, granola, Mexican yogurt, papaya, and eggs. Better than the food was the atmosphere. Around the communal dining table I befriended other Americans who became my travel buddies.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa del Encanto? Share your experiences!