“Consistently great food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Copake, New York, United States
“Consistently great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have mixed feelings about bringing attention to Nardo's. The chef and everyone who works there deserve the highest praise, but it's kind of like sharing the map to hidden treasure. After sampling dozens of Zihua's restaurants during visits last year and this year, I keep returning to Nardo's as my favorite, both for the delicious food prepared by Chef Hilario and for the attentive, gracious, utterly welcoming service provided by Norma, Armando, Ferrari and Nardo, Jr. I can recommend everything on their breakfast and dinner menu with the exception of steak, which like the steak at every restaurant I've tried in Zihua, tends to be tougher than North Americans are accustomed to, even in the best cuts. Seafood, pasta and chicken dishes -- both from regular menu and in HIlario's frequent specials -- are amazingly good. Only thing holding this restaurant back is that, shortly after Nardo's moved to its new location on Calle Adelita this fall, the city began tearing up the street for repairs and reduced foot traffic past the restaurant to a trickle. I suspect that once street repairs are finished, Nardo's will lose its status as a hidden gem.

• Visited February 2012

Wilmette, Illinois
“Incredible food at lowest price with great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

This outdoor restaurant under a lean to does not look like much. But the family staff is friendly, delivers great service for the superb meals, all at rock bottom prices. I had a thick piece of tuna that covered the plate and could have served two people. Wife had dorado, almost as large. Price of $40 was less than half the price of the same meal with smaller portions at a fancy restuarant.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Red Deer, Canada
“Personal Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We were looking at some signs on the corner from this restaurant. A gentleman asked us if we were looking for a good place to eat and recommended Nardo's. He worked there and would give us free drinks if we came. We got his name and he got ours. We did go back that night and he remembered us and remembered he had promised free drinks. We had margaritas and they were some of the best we have had. The place was quaint and small, but the 2 waiters were very friendly and called us by name all the time. They had an excellent white wine. The food was fantastic. I had coconut encrusted chicken breast stuffed with shrimp, spinach and cheese with a tamarind sauce on top. It was a wonderful meal and the tastes were fantastic. They had a bbq at the entrance when you came in. Had a wonderful starter of slices of tomatoes with cheese and basil on top in oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. Presentation was very nice. Food was reasonable. We ate there twice. Local entertainment came in which just played up by the bar and then walked around after to see if you wanted to donate to the group. They had drums and pan flutes and guitar. Very nice touch. Also nicer than having the mariachi bands walking around to each table. There is road construction on the street so it is dusty to walk down, but don't let that stop you. Lots of people came to eat.

Visited February 2012
Victoria, Canada
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

You aren't going to get a ocean view or a romantic setting but you will have superb food and incredible service at very reasonable prices. Ferrari (yes, that is his name) speaks excellent English and he is there almost 24/7. Norma makes breakfast and she is a sweetheart. There is another waiter and the chef and an older gentleman who are all beyond nice. Very sincere and hosptible. My first meal there was a seafood stuffed chicken breast with tamarind sauce. Absolutely FABULOUS. The second meal was a fish platter for two with pasta as the starch (I liked it so much I could have had that as a main dish) and vegetables (the chef even made a bird decoration out of radishes). $280. (this was for two people). Again it was well presented as if the chef had gone to culinary school (maybe he has as the food is the quality of a top notch restaurant in America). Drinks and wine are reasonable. They have done their best to decorate the space. The only tip is don't order steak. They know how to cook it but they haven't found a great cut which is typical in Mexico. My husband had the surf and turf the first meal and loved the grilled shrimp, and the taste of the steak was great, just not very tender. He knew the risk and he was willing to take it. I am glad I chose the chicken (which I never pick when in Mexico, but this was a huge breast, cooked to perfection).

I highly recommend this restaurant, it is just a couple doors down from Rufo's (which we also liked, but if I had to pick between the two, Nardo's would win hands down) and if you go, say hi to Ferrari from his dancing partner Brenda from Canada.

• Visited December 2011
Granada, Spain
“Great find - excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Located on the opposite side of the road from La Gula, there is a small entrance with the day's specials displayed and a BBQ. The restaurant itself is rustic and charming, although a little basic. The people on the table opposite us had been out fishing that day and caught black tuna, which the chef had cooked and prepared for them. Their dish was just being brought to their table as we arrived and it looked exceptional. The chef had prepared the fish in four different ways and it was beautifully presented.

We chose to have the New York steak barbequed and the Camarones Rollenos (Prawns wrapped in bacon and cheese and served with a beautifully creamy chipolti sauce). Both dishes were excellent and were served with spagetti mixed with fresh basil (delicious) and vegetables. We finished our meal with the crepes - really gorgeous served with a nutella chocolate sauce. In total our meal with two beers, two glasses of wine and two coffees came to 480 Pesos, which given the quality of the food was exceptionally good value. I should add that whilst we were waiting for our meal we were given a basket of hot garlic bread - a lovely touch. The service was also friendly and efficient.

We will definitely go back to this restaurant again and recommend it to all our friends. I can't imagine why no-one has reviewed this restaurant before as it is a definite must of restaurants to try in Zihuatanejo.

Wec