“Now I Can Check "Catch a Big Sailfish" Off the Bucket List!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 36 Activities in Zihuatanejo
Type: Tours, Adventure
Atlanta, Georgia
“Now I Can Check "Catch a Big Sailfish" Off the Bucket List!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Julio knows the waters around Zihuatanejo so well, it's practically in his DNA. On December 12, 2009, my husband and I and a wonderful couple from Alaska went out with Julio early in the morning from the main pier in town. We left as the sun was coming up, passing El Faro lighthouse, backlit with the golden rays of the dawn. The ocean was clear and blue and clean as we went to Julio's special spots for the Big Fish.

Not an hour had passed before my husband caught a huge dorado, glistening and neon green. My turn was next. There was a "WHAPPPP" on the line, and when I looked out, a huge sailfish was leaping in the air. My first thought was, "how is a 125-lb. woman going to reel that monster in?" I got in the "fight chair", strapped in, and prepared to have my arms ripped out! The struggle lasted for 30 minutes as the sail kept leaping out of the water until I finally brought him to the boat. Julio was as excited as I was when we brought the beautiful creature to the boat. We weren't finished for the day, as our friend Paul brought in yet ANOTHER sail not 15 minutes later.

As we made our way back to land, a school of dolphins swam and played beside us, and we saw several sea turtles swimming alongside us as well. Could a day be more perfect?

The experience was both exhausting and exhilarating, and now I can check "catch a giant sailfish" off my personal bucket list (thanks to Julio)!

Arkansas
“We caught 15 fish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

We went fishing with Julio in May and had a great time. We caught 15 fish total (Bonita and Black Tuna). We also snorkeled at Manzanillo and then went to Otilia's for lunch. They prepared some of the fish we caught and we ate it on the beach. I am a picky fish eater but I loved the way they prepared it. Julio was a great fishing guide. Franco, our waiter was great, as well!

Vancouver, Canada
“The Curse is over !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

I have been trying to land any sort of billfish for over 15 years now... Everywhere in mexico, jamaica , Dominican, etc.... No LUCK!..

Until we visitied Zihuatanejo, and hooked up with Carol and Julio's Tours !!.. Went out on a deep sea fishing trip and landed 2 sailfish, time of my life. Next day I went out on a in-shore fishing trip, many bonitos, and a chunky sized pompano!...

also had the chance of spotting 2 humpback whales,,, spent about 20 minutes taking pictures of them...

..good times and good eats at his mothers restaraunt.
.. Can't wait until next time...

Southern Ontario
“Unbelievable day with Julio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I went fishing with Julio on Thursday April 15. It was my first time deep sea fishing, and it won't be my last. Julio met me at the pier before 7:00, and we were on the water before sunrise. ( I would recommend picking up a delicious hot sandwich at the base of the pier before you go). I fished till 1:00 and was able to land a 6' sail fish. after fishing he took me to Las Gatas, where I met my wife at Otillias. where we enjoyed great food (try the fish-ka-bob platter). I can't wait to go out next year with Julio, and this time my wife is joining me. I am trying to attach a picture of the catch. The price was extremely reasonable, so much so that I had the panga and all the lines to myself

Calgary, AB
3 attraction reviews
“A Fantastic day of fishing and enjoying the surroundings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending the day fishing with Julio and his assistant when we were there in December '09.

We opted to do the offshore fishing, and chose to go with Julio because he practices catch and release. Julio arrived promptly at our pre-arranged meeting time, and we set out in time to witness one of the most beautiful sunrises I have ever seen.

Within the first few minutes, we had a double-header and had a great time bringing in a couple of bonito.

The scenery was absolutely spectacular, and Julio was bound and determined that we were going to enjoy our day! We had the good fortune to catch a good-size sail, in addition to a few other fish, but perhaps the most enjoyable thing for me to have seen were the INCREDIBLE numbers of dolphins that were swimming and jumping alongside the panga.....catching fish was just an added bonus!

Julio kept us on the water for as long as we wanted to fish. We started out shortly after 7am and by 1:15 we'd had enough. We headed in, and he asked if we wanted to fish closer to shore for a bit, which we did. He made sure we went into some gorgeous bays and had plenty of photo opportunities.

By this time, we were happy, hungry, and HOT, so Julio took us to Otilia's restaurant on Playa Las Gatas, where we enjoyed some COLD cervezas while he cleaned the fish we had kept for our shore lunch. Once lunch was ready, we were presented with an INCREDIBLE platter of food....deliciously prepared and plentiful.

Julio had told us to enjoy ourselves and that he would take us back whenever we were ready. He didn't make us feel the least bit rushed, but by the time we finished our meal and enjoyed a dip in the ocean, we were ready to head back to our hotel for a nap.

When I paid Julio for the excursion, I made certain to TIP GENEROUSLY!! We tourists have to consider that what we pay for a day of fishing in Zihua is a pittance compared with the amount we'd have to pay at home. Even if we HADN"T caught any, we'd still have been happy to have paid and tipped, as we understand that we were going out "fishing" not "catching"!! We've been skunked plenty of times fishing at home!

The other thing to consider is that the practice of cath and release is extremely important, so when you find a captain who is willing to do so, make sure you tip generously so that the revenue he loses by releasing fish is supplemented!! If WE as tourists support the practice of catch and release, maybe more captains would be willing to do so!

We look forward to another day (or days) fo fishing with Julio when we return to Zihua in December!