“Nice Stay right on La Ropa” 4 of 5 stars

Villa Mexicana Hotel
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Playa La Ropa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #28 of 79 hotels in Zihuatanejo
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice Stay right on La Ropa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I didn’t know what to expect when we booked this hotel. I usually stay at a very small, very local place and this was a “regular” hotel. I was ready to be critical but, as it turned out, I really enjoyed myself. In the future, if I can’t get into my local digs, I’ll book this hotel again in a minute.
As a general overview, this hotel consists of a number of 2-story buildings. The rooms are either facing the beach, pool area, courtyards, or (I’m told) the street. Although I’d usually prefer a 2nd floor room – I like to keep the curtains open – we went with a 1st floor room tucked into the corner. We looked at a few of the available rooms and noticed that there were big differences. For instance, one of the 2nd floor rooms we took a peak at had virtually no closet space -- there were a few open shelves near the door. The one we chose had a good size closet space, some additional shelving scattered throughout the room, along with a king size bed. It had a walk-in shower that was great. All the rooms had A/C and ours was quiet and efficient. That said, if you require upscale digs, you won’t find them here. For us, the room was terrific and we settled in and took it over – very comfortable and convenient.
There is a pool, as I’ve mentioned, but you should know that it’s quite small. You won’t be doing any lap swimming in it. It has large, very shallow steps, which is great for young children, or to cool your feet after crossing the hot sand. There’s a great big ocean right in front of you for swimming, so the size of the pool was not an issue for me at all. I loved that the water toys were left floating in the pool – just like they would be at home. At times you’d see a group of small children and their parents playing there and, at other times, there’d be a group of adults cooling off in the late afternoon having a beer. It made the whole place seem familiar and comfortable. There’s an attached bar/restaurant that extends out to the beach (a couple of steps and you are on the sand) and the numerous and comfortable lounge chairs are scattered on the tile patio or right in the sand, your choice. There’s a palapa in the middle of the patio where the WIFI device is located. It’s there that your free WIFI connection will be the strongest. (I’ve read previous posts that suggest that there is a charge or time limit on WIFI connectivity, but that is no longer the case. It’s free 24/7.) The palapa has a circular countertop, with checkerboards and parcheesi boards built into it, with lots of available bar stools. It looks as though this was once a working outdoor bar, but now people congregate with their iPads, laptops, and beers … or with the free coffee in the morning.
Because of the hotels great location, you never have to leave the beach (or put on shoes) if that’s what you suits you. The stretch of beach (La Playa Ropa) is about ¾ mile long and great for walking, especially in the morning before the sun gets hot. There are many great restaurants that you can simply walk to. Almost every afternoon we’d wander down the beach and plop down at an available table – set in the sand with an umbrella for shade – and enjoy a cold beer and maybe a fish taco or guacamole and chips. These places are wonderful, friendly and very local. Be sure to check first what sort of payment they’ll accept. Some only deal in pesos. (By the way, you can change money at the hotel desk. We found this to offer the same or better rates than most of the money exchange places in Zihua, and much more convenient.)
If you want to go into Zihuatanejo, it’s about a 30 minute walk. I wouldn’t advise anyone to walk there in the dark – not due to personal safety issues, but more because of the condition of the sidewalks and the lack of lighting. If you’d rather take a taxi in, there’s taxis always parked right outside the hotel entrance. Just walk down the street a 100 feet, or ask the desk to hail you one. It’ll cost you approximately 40-50 pesos – settle on an amount as soon as you get into the taxi. (It’s best to have near the total amount in cash with you – some drivers can’t give you change for larger bills.)
The last thing I should mention is that the staff is wonderful here. We came to know a few by name and they were always very friendly and helpful. We were sad to have to leave.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room before you take it. They are all very different.

160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a Mexican hotel, as opposed to an American-style resort, and that is its charm. That and it's unbeatable beach front location. If you are expecting instant service and constant, hovering attention from the staff, you'd be better off elsewhere. But if you have time to appreciate the unaffected charm and sincere care of the staff you'll end up feeling like family by the time you leave. Yes, restaurant service is sometimes a bit slow and some staff have better English than others, but what never varies is the innate gracious courtesy of the people and their constant effort to please their guests.

To get our suggestions for improvements out of the way, the old TVs really should be replaced by newer flat screen models. CNN is OK, but it would be nice to have some more English language channels such as ESPN and HBO. The last week of our stay was somewhat disrupted by three families with noisy children who appropriated the main swimming pool - even though it is technically an "adult" pool. There are two other pools that children can use, but the hotel seemed reluctant to enforce the adults-only rule. (In general, they avoid confrontations with the guests and are slow to enforce the rules - which can be a good thing!) This was more about the parents than the kids anyhow. Some basic discipline and consideration for other guests was really all that was needed. That's it, we really didn't have much to complain about.

The rooms are plain, but comfortable and meticulously clean (as is the whole property). There is an eco-friendly linen policy, with a full change every third day, but a daily change is offered on request and towels will be replaced any time if the used ones are left on the floor of the shower. Beach towels are available at the front desk, and they can be used to reserve your lounge chairs in the fabulous "beach club" area. This is where we spent most of our days, lounging under a palapa, mere steps from the beach and the ocean. And that's what's unbeatable about Villa Mexican - location, location, location!

The restaurant is good - at times excellent - and there are numerous others up and down the beach. Downtown is within walking distance, but it's a fairly long walk with a steep hill to go over, so best to go early in the day while it's relatively cool. There are always lots of taxis just up the street, or the hotel will call and your cab will arrive in about a minute. The local bus goes by the end of the road every 15-20 minutes.

Playa la Ropa is "our beach" and we've stayed at other places there, but we end up going back to the Villa Mexicana for its great location and value. And we're starting to feel like family.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms can't be reserved in advance. If available, you can get one at check-in for an...
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Love this place because it doesnt have that resort feeling so much like other places in Ixtapa. Traditional food. Nice pool and beach club. Awesome coconut shrimp! You have to try them. Panuchos Tulum as delicious as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at Villa Mexicana for a week during a relaxing vacation with my cousin. The hotel is charming, with colorful tile fountains and terra cotta details. It's also quite minimal, meaning no frills. The rooms are quaint and don't have much to them, but you don't really need much. This hotel is right on the beach, with a large infinity pool overlooking the beach. There are lots of chaises and shade to be found, and the restaurant has really delicious guacamole (and I'm not a guac fan typically). There are beach massages onsite, and I'd recommend the restaurant for breakfast and lunch/happy hour. We paid $10 more per day to include breakfast with our reservation, and it was so worth it. Huge menu and really good Mexican and American breakfast choices. I'd also recommend paying extra ($20/night, if I recall) for an oceanview room. You can't reserve these ahead of time, but can request it at check-in.

If you're looking for fancy, this isn't your place. But if you're looking for great service, a bit of charm, delicious food, beach access at your fingertips, and a really great value, this is your place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed here twice, both times for about a week, with four years in between. We come with a group of friends who come every year. We sat it out for a few years because we brought home bed bugs after our first stay, & if you've ever had bed bugs, you'll be surprised that we came back at all. So of course that colors my review.

We do enough traveling to know that lots of hotels have bed bugs, & the issue is whether you do what you need to do to prevent their transmission. In the case of this hotel the first time, we did everything wrong (stored our suitcases wedged between the wall & the bed, failed to recognized tell-tale blood stains on the sheets, left our suitcases on our bed for an entire day once we returned home). Our friends have never gotten bed bugs at the Villa Mexicana, & no one has reported them on Trip Advisor, so...do with that information what you will.

Our friends come here every year because this is the best location for the money of any hotel I've ever visited. As others have frequently mentioned, it's right on the beach, & this beach is no joke: beautiful, sandy, breezy, lined with palm trees. There is no better place to relax oceanfront for around $100/night. Really, the location is amazing.

The staff is decently friendly & helpful. The restaurant is similar in quality to other beach front restaurants around (great fish, eggs, pica de gallo), with the major added benefit of being right outside your door & available for (free) delivery to beach chairs and rooms/patios. We usually treat the place sort of like an all-inclusive, ordering what we'd like throughout the week & paying our bill in total when we check out. Sometimes we walk down the beach for sunset dinners, & it's an easy cab or bus ride to central Zihuatenejo and Ixtapa--a long-ish walk to downtown Zihua, if you like walking instead. The staff & clientele are laid-back & pleasant.

Our friends & we bring our young children, & this is a great place for kids, since there's an infinity pool for swimmers & a couple of wading pools, all in the shade at least for part of the day. There's also a lot of add-on beach entertainment right in front of the hotel; we paid a boat to take us to Ixtapa Island one day, rented a jet ski, painted pottery, had massages, etc. Lots of fun stuff to do.

Despite all the positives, though, & even if we hadn't suffered the bed bugs, we've decided not to come back to the Villa Mexicana for a major reason others have also mentioned: the beds are really insufferable. Near comically hard, with scratchy sheets & no blankets, they made it extremely difficult for me to sleep both weeks we were here. The second time we came, we brought our own blankets, but I still had a lot of trouble. My husband and one of my sons doesn't have this trouble; the other son & I both do. I guess it depends how sensitive you are to sleep conditions. I'm pretty sensitive, although not high-maintenance by nature, & these beds are too much for me. Next time I will go someplace where I can sleep.

In fact, if I were rating the rooms at this place, I'd give them a terrible--they're dirty, don't really have any amenities (even the hot water is unreliable), & the beds are rock hard. If I were rating the location & price, I'd give it an excellent. Service is average. But those beds are a deal killer for me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Victoria BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is our third time here and we have returned for lots of good reasons! We moved three times, and finally got a room with a view! A few wee problems. The coffee in the morning is often cold, and always pathetic! This is the home of the coffee bean, but even the staff get their coffee at other places! We go to Paty's next door for breakfast, but last night we had dinner at the restaurant here and it was wonderful. I love the towels, I love our balcony, I love the showers. A flat screen tv would be nice, and movies to watch sometimes! Instead the tv's are old, and hopeless. The rooms are scrupulously clean, the people who work here are awesome, but there is a young waiter in the restaurant that needs to watch and learn from his elders! I will write more later!

Room Tip: Be patient and persevere until you get an ocean view! I think there is favourtism going on! I don...
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife andI have visited this hotel numerous times during the past seven years. Each time we visit we notice improvements. The new infinity pool is about 2 1/2 years old and looks brand new. Both hot and cold water flow at high pressure. The in-room towells are now abundantly large and absorbant. The air conditioning has greatly improved as the compressors are no longer in the room...only the blower. The hotel is immaculate. The restaurant has a creative and delicious menu and friendly service. Villa Mexicana is a modest, two story property on Playa La Ropa which does not overwhelm. Lots of Mexican tourists visit here as well as us northerners. Walking distance to many beach front restaurants, as well as taxi and local bus. We always return to Villa Mexicana.

Room Tip: You get what is available.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Mexicana Hotel? Share your experiences!