“Love the infinity pool, great restaurant, but if they can provide thicker blankets...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Irma

Save Saved
You added Hotel Irma to your Saves list
Hotel Irma
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adelita s/n, Playa la Madera, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 79 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've been wanting to stay here since I discovered it this year. I went to Zihuatanejo 2x this year already (it's only March, 2013). On my 2nd trip this year, I make sure I stay at Hotel Irma to see what everyone is raving about.

The restaurant is refreshing to hang out with a stunning view of Playa la Madera. It's great after our sweltering drive to the south. Great location, I really don't mind the uphill/downhill walk to town, it's good for you right?

Ok let me summarize the pros:
Great location
Clean rooms
Infinity pool - love it!
Laid back atmosphere, ZIH is not your party place after all
I like the restaurant, reasonably priced, friendly staff
Rooms are "ok" priced

the cons:
Dark rooms (our non-ocean view at least, but maybe other rooms are ok?)
Thin blankets (this may be a personal preference, so mileage varies)
they charge P250 for a lost beach towel (what???)
Crowded pool (by noonish or so, most chairs already are occupied)

What I found out, early in the morning (as early as 8am or 9am), people already lay down their beach towels on chairs strategically located. How would you feel about that? Then you're inclined to do the same right? You don't need anymore stress on your vacation.
By the time it gets warmer, the pool area is already 100% occupied with no chair/s to lay down.

The good thing is, if you're more adventurous, there's the beach and other beaches to visit in the vicinity, like Playa Las Gatas or Isla Ixtapa, or go to Barra de Potosi.

The 250 fee may be suited for smaller/B&B type places but on the places I've stayed here in Ixtapa, we didn't get a pre-set rule that we'll be charged if the towels don't come back.

Thin blankets - I guess I could have asked for a down or thicker blankets?

Overall, it's a nice place to stay if you just want a place by the beach, close to everything, etc. We had a great time, but maybe I'll try another similar place nearby, like Hotel Palacio or something.

**how do I add more photos???

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Wilmette, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Friendly staff, friendly guests who return year after year. Walking distance to town. Many fine restaurants near hotel to walk to. Excellent view of town, bay, and beach. No elevator or fitness center.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bark River, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you're looking for quiet time this is the place to be. Very friendly staff, decent food, good value. Not a place for kids, nothing to do. No pool activities. No elevators but very good location, many restaurants and shopping within walking distance.

Room Tip: No elevators, ask for lower floor unless you don't mind a lot of stairs.
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has very friendly staff but its a very quiet hotel, no pool activities, very laid back and relaxed. Spa is decent, beds are hard, restaurant is fair priced and food is good. Walking distance to many restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view, no elevators, ask for a lower floor. Floor 3 is ideal.
Healy, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel Irma is clean, affordable, beautiful, and the staff is fantastic. The only negatives my wife and I encountered were that the hotel doesn't sit right on the beach. You have to walk down several steps to get to the beach. Not a big deal, but being right on the sand is a plus in my book. The other negative was the reservation I made on their website. I was falsely charged 1400$ US 1 week after providing my credit card information for a 4 night stay via the web. Appartently Hotel Irma's reservations online are handled by another company.
So, be aware of the charges to your credit card. Other than that I have nothing but great things to say!!!

Room Tip: Room 101!!!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We've been to Zihua a couple of times before, walked by the Hotel Irma on the streetside and thought it looked "nice" but never went in. A friend highly recommended it, we stayed just over a week in Feb 2013 and absolutely loved it. We are already planning our return. Location is excellent, walking distance to town, walking distance to Playa la Ropa. Surrounded by great restaurants. Best of all is the hotel and their staff. Hotel is spotless everywhere, staff smiles as they accommodate every request. We loved our 4th floor room, spectacular view - got to watch dolphins playing in the bay out front one day! Wish we'd discovered the great massages earlier in our trip, would have had one every day - she was lovely and did a great job for an amazing price compared to costs at home! My only, very small complaint - wish we could have had a room the size we had (it had 2 double beds) but with one King size bed. That would have made it perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms above the lobby, with 2 double beds are larger, nicer and have the best views. Wi-Fi only re...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This was out first trip to Zihua and it probably won't be our last. We arrived on a Saturday and the hotel did not have our reservation we had booked online thru a travel site. It took about an hour to get a room and the room they gave us did not have a patio or a view of the ocean like I had booked. I told them I wanted a better room and after about another hour we checked into a room with a view on the second floor balcony. Absolutely amazing! I hear we got very lucky. The atmosphere here by the pool is so relaxing, looking off into the restaurant/bar or the ocean. Irma is very quiet and laid back. People here are very friendly as they have been coming back for years. They are full of information. We hooked up with a traveler to go on a boat cruise to ixtapa island and I caught a fish! The food at the restaurant is cheap. We had a steak and chicken dinner for under 25$. The drinks are expensive..about 3 bucks a beer and 5 bucks a mixer...on the beach beer is about 1.50 and drinks are about 7bucks for a huge margarita. The beds at Irma are extra firm and not for me...luckily there is a massage lady here at Irma.. 20 bucks for 30 minutes. Irma lined up our sunset cruise on the picante and we had a blast!!! A must do...most of the people here are 40-60s...not a family vacation spot. Which is just perfect for us...we are having a great time and only looking forward to my pillow top bed at home..

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Irma? Share your experiences!